Preventing illness on board- hand sanitizing

Being nice has nothing to do with this. I am amazed to see the amount of misinformation being spread here about wipes and sanitizers. They are at best a distant second to washing hands with soap and hot water and yet people being it up again and again.

Actually a close second at worse.Calling them a distant second is a perfect example of MISINFORMATION

And the ONLY time I've gotten the norovirus while cruising was on a DCL ship, and luckily I only got "hit" coming off.

The one and only time my DW got Noro was proceeding our Solstice cruise. The symptoms set in that evening upon disembarkation. Coincidently, that was the only cruise I've been on where sanitizers were everywhere. She used them. I did not.

I for one believe in good hand washing and using anti-bacteria when entering the dining facilities.Most that avoid them have a 'false sense of security' and may be putting others at risk.Funny thing is that the hand washing soap in cruise ships and most eating establishments is anti-bacteria

For my safety... I plan on sanitizing my hands before entering the Windjammer, then again when I sit down to eat. No I am not a germaphobe, but think about all of the hands that touch those serving spoons... Grossss:eek:!

Also, I never touch a soap dispenser or hand sanitizer with my hand, I use the back side of arm or elbow.

There is no way around germs, but I work as a teacher in a school and I rarely get sick. Prevention, prevention, prevention. Be aware of what's around you; you cannot control what you can't see, but you can be smart about what you do!!

On DCL, before meals, embarking, entering the kids' clubs, really ANYTHING, they gave you a Hand Sanitizing wipe that was mandatory to use (to help prevent on-board illness). Do they do a similar practice on RCI (specifically FOS)?

Hand sanitizers are no protection against viruses. They are, at best, a cleaner.

Frequent hand washing with soap and water is the only protection.

Most cruise ships post signs about hand washing....but, don't accept the babysitting role of "making" an adult clean themselves. That's the adults job.

OP here. I am a RN (with my masters). We use hand sanitizer hospital-wide (it is a bit higher percentage of alcohol than what is available in stores), including the ICU where I work. This is what DCL gives out on their wipes (I checked the canister). There are not always bathrooms available to wash with soap and water (boarding the ship). And just because WE are washing with soap and water before entering the dining room/ kids club/ buffet, doesn't mean the person next to me who just touched the serving utensil or at the buffet has washed his or her hands...

That's true. Then, pull out your hand sanitizer when you arrive at the table and are preparing to eat everything with your fingers.......

You are misleading people by saying it's used in hospitals. It is NOT the same product at all. And, you know it.........

Thank You.There are many that post false or twisted information against sanitizers

Did you read the ENTIRE post? The part where she says the hospital stuff is NOT the same thing you see, buy or use?

This "masters degree" RN has posted a misleading bit of information. The hand sanitizers used in hospitals, doctors offices and elsewhere are NOT the same at all....not even close.

Regardless of its effectiveness I always use the hand sanitizer whenever I see the dispenser.

It's a pity some choose to ignore it (particularly the elderly, I've noticed). If nothing else it makes your hands feel clean and I believe it's a gesture of respect for fellow passengers and crew.

Peter

What a crappy thing to say.

Most of the "elders" in my experience carry the dammed stuff in their purses and would have no need to use the public dispenser.

As a matter of fact, every woman I know carries her own and uses it frequently......all ages.

I agree. If it isn't used, it cant' help. That's where I think Disney has it perfected. They had a Cast Member at the entrance to every venue (including reboarding) and they handed each person a wipe. You had to take it, wash your hands, and throw it away (in front of them) before you could enter. Certainly, I'm sure there were missed people and it doesn't completely guarantee clean hands, but as I posted above, I do think it is a great idea and practice!

I hate to tell you this.......but, nobody HAD to use it before entering. Nobody can FORCE you to use them or deny you entry.

Honestly.......what nonsense.

Be nice. People are just trying to help other people in their own way.

No, they aren't.

Some are being preachy, arrogant know it alls who think what they are saying and thinking is the only right way to think or speak.

They are being judgmental, demanding, accusatory, highminded - and mostly wrong.

Each should mind their own business about this and take responsibility for your own health and safety.......

No' date=' they aren't.

Some are being preachy, arrogant know it alls who think what they are saying and thinking is the only right way to think or speak.

They are being judgmental, demanding, accusatory, highminded - and mostly wrong.

Each should mind their own business about this and take responsibility for your own health and safety.......[/quote']

This coming from you? Do you even read your own posts? Pot meet kettle.:eek:

Instead of the same boring threads on passengers using hand sanitizers, why don't we mix it up a bit and think about the waiters who clear away everyone's used dishes, then pick up your water glass to fill it, serve your next course, replace your silverware, etc.

What about the 'unused' silverware that I have seen them remove from each place setting and throw it into the silverware bin? Does it get 'reused' without washing? Cause I touch mine when I first sit down.

What about the cooks in the back, are they all sanitizing every so often? Do they leave the line after they wipe the sweat off their face, or do they keep getting those dinners out? What about the person cutting the fruit?

What about little kids? On my last cruise, I was waiting for an omelet when the kids next to me sneezed right on all those things they mix into the omelet. I said 'next time cover your mouth'. Wonder if he did. Maybe we should require adult supervision at all buffet areas.

What about the bartenders who clear away the used drinking glasses, and immediately make new drinks without washing their hands. I wonder if that is really sanitary. The passenger-blaming is dull and I think we need to complain about other sanitary issues.

What about the steward who cleans the bathroom with gloves on, then puts the drinking glasses out: Do they always change gloves in between? What about touching the door handles when they enter your cabin, do they change gloves in between different rooms? I'm just wondering about all this stuff now.

Giving everyone a mandatory squirt of Purell before entering the MDR or WJ gives a false sense of security, yes it does.

Very good post and definitely some things to think about. I just finished reading the news article here on CC about the CDC scores of the ships and which are the dirtiest. The NCL Pride of Aloha was disgusting with pink and black mold in the ice machine and insect larvae in the beverage station. There are just so many ways we can get ill no matter where we are and how careful we try to be. If any of you read my post on the first page of this thread, you will see that my daughter got sick even though we tried to do everything right. We washed hands often and used sanitizer on the Freedom but she still got sick. Who knows where it came from. There are so many possibilities. Its just a risk we all have to live with whenever we're out in public places. The only real preventive is to barricade yourself in your house and never go out and who wants to live like that?

Actually a close second at worse.Calling them a distant second is a perfect example of MISINFORMATION

Next time you are at a doctor's office ask him whether he sanitizes between visits using hand sanitizer and watch him or her laugh.

I think that using the sanitizers regularly for just a 7 night cruise won't cause this problem. Please don't scare people into not using it!

REALLY? Do you have this skin condition? I do, and believe me the alcohol in this stuff is so drying it WILL and DOES cause cracking in the skin, even skin that is "clear" at the time. Unless you have a skin condition like ecxzema or psoriasis please don't comment on what will or will not cause a flare up, obviously you don't know anyone who suffers from this or you would not say this! :mad:

Like other posters on this topic have mentioned even if you slathered your whole body in this stuff you wouldn't be protected if the waiter touched your glass/cutlery/plate etc and his hands weren't clean so hand sanitizer is not the be all and end all anti germ protector!

If there is sickness on the ship, they will put out the sanitizers. If they aren't out, then no sickness has been reported.

Hand-washing is still the most effective way to avoid catching most things.

There's really no need to be obssessive about it!

Actually it seems like with the Swine Flu outbreak, they now have purell out all the time - at least they did on the Explorer last month... automatic dispensers were at all restaurant entrances, and it seemed as if the vast majority of people were using them.

Oh and as another registered nurse, I fully agree that the sanitizers are just as effective as handwashing, if not moreso, since they are easier to use. Handwashing is only effective if done correctly, and many people don't know how to wash their hands properly. Sanitizers (if they have a high enough alcohol base) are extremely effective. My hospital actually encourages us to use sanitizer unless our hands are visibly soiled (and of course handwashing as well in between).

Post title pretty much says it all, here are 7 threads just in the last year on the same "stuff", different day. Funny we needed another thread to hash it out again. As for RN's and medical types being the end all, be all, I used to drop off and pick up my ex-wife at several different ER's, there was always quite a crowd of overweight, smokers outside the door in scrubs that I knew from having met them were RN's, ER techs, PA's and Docs. Having worked at the VA Hospital for 3 years after my Naval Service, no telling how many times the RN's and doctors were busted by JCAHO for not adhering to sanitary standards that were taught annually as part of our JCAHO continuing training. Part of which was that washing with soap and water is best, anti-bacterial gels also work, but only if used correctly, and the dispensers don't dispense enough to work well, if it takes less than 20 seconds to wipe it in, it ain't enough. Carry on!:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=984526&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=976033&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975351&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=971544&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=934486&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=914650&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=847008&highlight=sanitizer

Next time you are at a doctor's office ask him whether he sanitizes between visits using hand sanitizer and watch him or her laugh.

My Doctor has a hand washing basin in her surgery. That being the situation, she dosn't need a sanitiser.. She alway washes her hands immediately before touching me. So I like her habits.

In fact, I cannot remember ever having a doctor who hasn't had immediate washing facilities.

I guess thats why your doctor will laugh

I think that using the sanitizers regularly for just a 7 night cruise won't cause this problem. Please don't scare people into not using it!

You are wrong.

I'm not saying no one should use the sanitizers. I'm saying my doctor told me not to, because of my skin condition.

Post title pretty much says it all, here are 7 threads just in the last year on the same "stuff", different day. Funny we needed another thread to hash it out again. As for RN's and medical types being the end all, be all, I used to drop off and pick up my ex-wife at several different ER's, there was always quite a crowd of overweight, smokers outside the door in scrubs that I knew from having met them were RN's, ER techs, PA's and Docs. Having worked at the VA Hospital for 3 years after my Naval Service, no telling how many times the RN's and doctors were busted by JCAHO for not adhering to sanitary standards that were taught annually as part of our JCAHO continuing training. Part of which was that washing with soap and water is best, anti-bacterial gels also work, but only if used correctly, and the dispensers don't dispense enough to work well, if it takes less than 20 seconds to wipe it in, it ain't enough. Carry on!:p

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=984526&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=976033&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975351&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=971544&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=934486&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=914650&highlight=sanitizer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=847008&highlight=sanitizer

Ha, this just made me think of something. I was at a party last weekend and I was listening to a young woman in her late twenties telling someone that she is a respiratory therapist as she puffed on a cigarette. She had been smoking non-stop all night.:eek:

Archived