What is a CANNOT MISS activity in Hawaii?!?!

Jrabbit128

Although I am a cruise FANATIC, my hubby and I are actually going to Hawaii for a week in April, not a cruise. I have no idea what to do as there is so much I want to do! Can you all give me some advice on what is a cannot miss activity???? We are staying in Honolulu but I want to go to at least one other island while we are there.

Thanks!

Definitely spend some time on Waikiki Beach. See Pearl Harbour Monument. Take a drive around the island (rent a car). Go gliding over the ocean and the hills -- priceless (need car to get to airfield). Go to Hanuma Bay to see the fish. Go to the Polynesian Cultural Centre by tour bus or car whichever works best for you. Catch a morning flight to Maui; rent a car; spend the day exploring Maui and fly back late afternoon.

Have breakfast at Eggs n' Things.

We are thinking of doing a Hawaiian island cruise sometime in the next 5 years as we have been to Hawaii many times but never on a cruise.

Enjoy your trip.

Kathy:)

On Oahu, DEFINITELY go to Pearl Harbor. It is an amazing trip. (If you want to speak with the PH survivors who are quite often there, make sure you do it in the morning. They leave at noon.)

One evening in Waikiki, head over to the Moana Surfrider and sip a drink under the banyan tree or on the back porch while you listen to the traditional Hawaiian band. Then stroll out onto the beach for a perfect view of sunset. This is old Hawaii - the Moana Surfrider is known as the grand lady of Waikiki. (If you have another evening free, do the same thing at the Royal Hawaiian - it is the other original Waikiki hotel.)

If you don't want to rent a car (I NEVER do in Oahu), take the Roberts circle island tour. It's a great island overview tour and it takes you to Byodo-In-Temple in the Valley of the Temples.

My vote for a second island would be Maui - and I'd spend at least a couple days there. I'd recommend a whale watching trip on the Gemini (www.geminicharters.com) and dinner at Pineapple Grill in Kapalua.

Enjoy!

We have been going to Hawaii for a long time next year will be our 10th trip, the first was 10 days, the next 2 weeks, the next 2 1/2, until we now go for a month. The place is like a drug you cannot get enough. Anyway our favorite things in no particular order:

1. Get off Oahu fast spend as little time there as possible, why? the longer you stay the less money you have, Oahu is expensive$$$$:eek:. The further you get away from it cost less, but we like peace and quiet, no night life except moon light, stars and waves.

2. Kauai, best island all around, and would be my vote for a 'day trip' it has Bubba Burgers!, the best views, Jurassic Park filmed there, etc.

3. In Waikiki eat at Duke's.

4. Dinner at sunset at the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki beach (food is good the view is GREAT(diamond head), equals a Priceless Moment, life is good moment)call for reservations to get a table on patio on the beach.

5. Hike Diamond head in the morning.

6. The North Shore! Watching the surfers, Chinaman's Hat Island.

7.The Buddhist temple on Oahu.

8. I'olani Palace.

9. Sunsets!

10.Sunrise at Haleakala (Maui)

11. L&L Grill (Hawaiian Lunch Plate)

12. Roy's for dinner (chocolate soufflé a must)

13. Piopu Beach (Kauai)

14. Luau's

1. Get off Oahu fast spend as little time there as possible, why? the longer you stay the less money you have, Oahu is expensive$$$$:eek:. The further you get away from it cost less, but we like peace and quiet, no night life except moon light, stars and waves.

I'm going to disagree with this. Oahu tends to be the least expensive island in my experience. The restaurants and grocery items are easily 10% - 15% lower than other islands. Hotels tend to run a bit less as well (simple case of number of rooms to fill). I will agree that the "stuff" they sell in the International Marketplace is priced higher than at the other islands. But, if you are shopping at quality places, you will find the price of items to be comparable between the islands.

Also, when you factor in that you don't need a rental car if you are staying in Waikiki/Honolulu (The Bus), the cost drops even further.

I, too, like to get away to other islands. But, a few days in Waikiki is a lot of fun as well. And, quite honestly, it was nice to end our trip there last year because we were able to stay at a phenomenal hotel (Moana Surfrider) and eat at some fabulous restaurants without taxing the budget as much. (We typically spend 3-4 weeks at least every other year in Hawaii - been doing that since 1978.)

TOTALLY agree with the best nightlife being stargazing and relaxing with the sound of the waves in the background!:)

Thank you all for all these activities!!! There are so many things we want to do and so little time. I think I will end up having to stay for a month just to get everything done.

I know this might sound cliche but has anyone ever done a luau complete with hula dancers and the roasted pig? If so, what is the best place? Its so cliche but I really want to do it.

I'll chime in here about the best luau's on Maui. My first choice would be the Old Lahaina Luau. (http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/) Second would be Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt on Kaanapali. (http://www.best-luaus.com/Drums%20of%20the%20Pacific/)

I'm not sure about Oahu since it's been a long time since I've attended a luau there. I know a lot of folks go to Germaine's (http://www.germainesluau.com/) but the when I was in Waikiki last year, I heard several folks saying that it disappointed them (quality of food was their complaint).

You can look up the reviews of all of these on Trip Advisor and get a good overview of opinions/thoughts.

The best Luau on Oahu is the Polynesian Cultural Center it is run by the LDS Church they have a web site http://polynesianculturalcenter.com/?gclid=CNakvajmxJsCFRifnAodFV5pAQ no alcohol. It is one of the most popular attractions in the island. We have been twice the Ali'i Lu'au package was the best in that it had the traditional Luau as well as the show. When we took my wifes Mom and Dad (stake and potatoes man, don't eat pig) We end up taking the Ambassador package. This is an all day and into the night event and you should allow this much time is is worth it. On the Ambassador package we had a guide and it was well worth it she was great getting us to all the events and good seats but this has he buffet and not the Luau, I think they said we could go but 'I don't eat pig:(" was with us.

The Royal Hawaiian has a luau on the beach, I have not seen it so do not know how good it is.

But I agree with Beach4me Old Lahaina and Drums of the Pacific (we saw it on Kauai)my wife likes the Drums of the Pacific the best, I liked the Old Lahaina better we sat at the traditional tables where you sit on the ground, I thought made it more 'authentic'.

I do not agree with Ohau resturants being cheaper unless you eat a Denny's, Tony Romas, etc. we tend not to eat there because we eat at those resturants here. We go to mainly fresh sea food resturants which we do not get here (to far from the water, I know fly it in etc. but it is not 'just' off the boat, yes I am a fish snob).

The Royal Hawaiian has a luau on the beach, I have not seen it so do not know how good it is.

This is the last luau I attended on Oahu. Since it has been several years, I can't comment on how it is today but I can tell you that it was excellent then. As the RH has maintained its superior standards and tradition, I would guess that the luau has too. But I can't say from recent experience.

I do not agree with Ohau resturants being cheaper unless you eat a Denny's, Tony Romas, etc. we tend not to eat there because we eat at those resturants here. We go to mainly fresh sea food resturants which we do not get here (to far from the water, I know fly it in etc. but it is not 'just' off the boat, yes I am a fish snob).

We can agree to disagree on this then, KYBOB. ;) But for the record, I have never eaten at a Denny's or Tony Roma's in Hawaii. Chain restaurants (other than TS restaurants - Duke's, Leilani's, Kimo's, Hula Grill) are not even in my scope when I'm in Hawaii. (Having said that, there are many, many more options for such restaurants on Oahu than on the other islands for those you do want to eat at them.) I, too, am a seafood afficionado. LOVE the fresh fish in Hawaii! It's always one of the things that I suffer withdrawal from when I return home. Have you ever had the fresh papio? OMG - Heaven on a plate!!! :)

If you are in Honolulu, you MUST get to Pearl Harbor. Doesn't matter what your ages are, this is a part of our history that should never be missed.

After that, hiking to the top of Diamond Head is a harder than it looks, but well worth the reward.

Definitely rent a car ONE day to get to places that you just cannot get to any other way.

Spend some time on the north shore and 'frolic' with the turtles

Just stop and watch any sunsets you can. They are just magnificent in Hawaii.

Stroll down the strip in Wakiki at night and join the thousands of others who have the same idea, window shop, watch the street people.

and if you go to another island, I guess Maui would be the island of choice.

We discovered last year that you could make your meals as expensive as you wanted or as cheap as you wanted. Especially the evening meals.

We ate at a few places (near HHV) and the restaruant in the Rainbow tower and for example an eye fillet was $44 (which back then was $ for $ with Aust) which to me is a ridiculous price!! but we were with another 2 couples and that's what they wanted.

We then found on our second last night and great place (i think if was near Dukes) where they did a bbq. The eye fillet was $24! Our main fussy steak eater said it was even better than the $44 steak!!!! Go figure!

I wouldn't eat like that again, it is ridiculous. The bbq was just great and also great fun.

Thank you for all the great advise. There is sooooo much I want to fit in that week. I think I will need to take a vacation after that vacation! I really want to get a real Hawaiian experience when we go, which is why I want to do the Luau.

The luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center is supposed to be very good, but keep in mind you will not be able to get a real Mai Tai there. As the park is run by the Mormon church, there is no alcohol allowed.

We went to Hawaii last summer and it was the best vacation ever! We stayed for almost two weeks and went to three islands. Here's what we enjoyed.

Oahu:

• Dinner at Duke's on Waikiki Beach
  • Pearl Harbor is a MUST
  • Drive to the North Shore and hang out.
  • Turtle Bay Resort (we only went for lunch and to check out the resort)
  • Dole Plantation
  • Punchbowl National Cemetary
  • Diamondhead
  • Dinner at Alan Wong's

Maui:

• Sunrise at Haleakala (definitely worth getting up at 3:30)
  • Road to Hana (make sure to stop at the parks!)
  • Snorkel at Molokini
  • Shopping in Lahaina

Big Island - OUR FAVORITE

• Take a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour
  • Merrimans in Waimea (the best food we've ever had!)
  • Dinner at Roy's
  • Luau at the Marriott
  • Tour the Kona Brewing Company
  • Ride 4 wheelers at the Parker Ranch
  • Mauna Kea Observatory

Hope this helps. Tell King Kamehameha we said "Hi" :)

Although I am a cruise FANATIC, my hubby and I are actually going to Hawaii for a week in April, not a cruise. I have no idea what to do as there is so much I want to do! Can you all give me some advice on what is a cannot miss activity???? We are staying in Honolulu but I want to go to at least one other island while we are there.

Thanks!

You'll likely get as many different answers as responses ;) I've never done a cruise in hawaii, always by air then an Island or two.

Everyone has "opinions" of Honolulu and Oahu. Staying at Waikiki can be one's paradise or another vision of everything gone wrong with Hawaii. I'm somewhere in between. Been/stayed in Waikiki 3 of my 5 trips there. Always enjoy it but look forward to all the other beauties of hawaii. If you stay on Oahu; do visit waikik if only for an afternoon to get a taste of one kind of hawaii. If you are a history buff of course you have to do the Arizona. Then you should do the drive around the island with a stop at the Dole place. Some would say cheesesy but still fun. Plan a afternoon at hanauma bay for snorkeling. Believe it or not I've done it all 3 times I've been there :rolleyes:

I'd pick another Island, which one is difficult.

Hawaii is huge and unique with its active volcanos. Driving / exploring is a challenge even if you have 3 days there.

Maui and Kauai are smaller and easy to do in 3 days. IMHO I think the most beautiful is Kauai representing the beauty of Hawaii old. Its my favorite Island for its beeauty and hiking and quieter and more relaxed atmosphere. Yet it still has luxury hotels if that is what you need.

You of course must do a Luau. There are the big zoo affairs on Oahu. I've done those but prefer the more quiet hotel ones. My wife always makes me do them, I always complain but come away entertained. Honestly the food is medicore at best, but its Hawaian so you just lay back and enjoy it. All the islands have them. I'd pick one from a major hotel NOT the big commercial ones for the more intimate setting.

BTW all the island have free maps/attractions galore. That is really all you need to figure out what do once you arrive. Rent a car, grab a map and pick a portion of the island and get out and drive it. You'll discover cute beaches, nice little places to eat, and most importantly beautiful / grand views/beaches etc. Of course you can also buy or check out the dozens of books out there. I've tried that but in the end the map and just winging it have actually been our most enjoyable days

Enjoy your trip!

After hearing everyone's advise on this board and others, I decided to rent a car and on one day, wake up real early and just DRIVE!!! Just go where ever the road takes us. Maybe find a locals spot and just relax and take it all in. I have a GPS system so as long as I can get back to the hotel at the end of the day, I am fine.

The beach with the huge waves for the surfers, (which I am not since I don't even know how to swim), is that something worth seeing? I thought it would be real interested but I read on some boards that you will not find many surfers there to watch.

Learn to surf!!!!

Surfing is like skiing. I guess a great photo memory if you get up on a little wave in waikiki, but honestly the thrill of the sport is one that requires significant investment to get good enough to ride the challenging stuff, IMHO :D

Give a choice between say trying to surf or say snuba / snorkeling or perhaps a wave ride on a boat or para sailing I'd take any of the latter acitivites at the beach

I think I will have to learn to swim first lol :p! That is something the hubby wants to learn to do. I will watch from the shore.

He won't regret it. My hubby and I (both in our 40s) did it as an excursion on Kauai booking thru NCL Pride of America. We certainly never got good at it in one morning, but it was a fun time and a memorable experience. And since it was only a morning excursion it left the rest of the day open for other activities.

Another fun Oahu activity...how about a shark encouter? We used Hawaii Shark Encounters in Haleiwa on the north shore. This is something even a non-swimmer could participate in (take the early morning trip when the water is a bit calmer). You could combine this with a visit to the shrimp trucks for lunch, or Mai Tais at Turtle Bay, or a stop at the Dole Plantation for pineapple soft serve (or all of the above!)

Archived