Carnival to make a bid for Royal?

Could this really be true or just smoke and mirrors from the press.

I am not sure if I would blame "the press" (it appears to just be mentioned on the one link you provided). I highly doubt there is any truth to this rumor. There are several factors working against it:

1) Such a takeover would likely be deemed a monopoly and would have a hard time gaining approval.

2) Royal Caribbean is in massive debt and is struggling financially - these are factors that make it not so attractive as an acquisition.

3) The proposed price for the takeover seems crazy given the current state of Royal Caribbean's finances. It likely would be suicide for Carnival Corp. to pay up that much.

4) RCL's stock is down today; if there were any truth to a possibility of it being purchased for more than double it's current price the stock would be up sharply today.

5) If there were truth to this rumor it would be carried on several different media sources.

I am not sure if I would blame "the press." I highly doubt there is any truth to this rumor. There are several factors working against it:

1) Such a takeover would likely be deemed a monopoly and would have a hard time gaining approval.

2) Royal Caribbean is in massive debt and is struggling financially - these are factors that make it not so attractive as an acquisition.

3) The proposed price for the takeover seems crazy given the current state of Royal Caribbean's finances. It likely would be suicide for Carnival Corp. to pay up that much.

4) RCL's stock is down today; if there were any truth to a possibility of it being purchased for more than double it's current price the stock would be up sharply today.

5) If there were truth to this rumor it would be carries on several different media sources.

Right on all factors Eric. But I certainly would not mind getting $35.00 per share for my holdings.

Could it be they simply want The Oasis and The Allure? Those ships will turn the industry on its ear. You've got to know RCI stock is going to go up once Oasis comes on line. I can't imagine any stock holder even considering this, at least until after the Oasis makes her debut.

Could it be they simply want The Oasis and The Allure? Those ships will turn the industry on its ear. You've got to know RCI stock is going to go up once Oasis comes on line. I can't imagine any stock holder even considering this, at least until after the Oasis makes her debut.

No. It is simply either a false article or the person who wrote it had no idea what they were talking about.

Also, Oasis coming on line will have zero impact on the stock price - stock prices already consider future events. What would move the stock is if the Oasis receives such tremenodus feedback that people start booking it like crazy thereby diriving the prices RCL can charge up. The Oasis simply starting to sail however will have no bearing on the price of the stock.

Carnival would be stupid to offer $35. If such a bid were to be made, current conditions would make it more likely to be around $15.

Or a Chop's steak in lieu of the $15. :D

Personally, I do not care who owns the cruise lines of RCCL as long as the great service of Celebrity and awesome ships of RCI do not change.

Carnival Corp does pretty well with Cunard, HAL, and Princess. The Corp is not to be confused with Carnival Cruise Line.

Personally, I do not care who owns the cruise lines of RCCL as long as the great service of Celebrity and awesome ships of RCI do not change.

Carnival Corp does pretty well with Cunard, HAL, and Princess. The Corp is not to be confused with Carnival Cruise Line.

You actually would care if this were to happen (but forutnately it won't). The reason you would care is not because of Carnival Corp. being a bad company (they are a good company). The reason is that if CCL took over RCL, then CCL would have a near monopoly on the cruise industry. You would see prices increase and quality of the product decrease because they would have minimal competition.

The reason is that if CCL took over RCL, then CCL would have a near monopoly on the cruise industry. You would see prices increase and quality of the product decrease because they would have minimal competition.

That is a good point....and a reason why I believe the acquisition would be illegal.

Won't happen. Anti trust laws will keep this from becoming a reality. Carnival had a difficult time getting Princess/P&O. At this point it's a rumor and a silly one at that. I also read a rumor that a large US cruise line was in discussion with MSC to join together. This I could see happening with Royal Caribbean. Anyone that wants to see Carnival and RCCL join forces is crazy. Anyone that has been cruising for any lenght of time has seen what gobbling on each other has done. Look at Carnival. They continue to use the same platform for most of their cruise lines. Just stick a different funnel on the ship and you have a new ship but with the same layout and looks. Example would be the Spirt/Vista class. Used at Carnival, Costa, Holland America, Cunard and P&O. This will totally turn the industry upside down.

I also don't think that Carnival Corporation could afford this. $35.00 a share would take them down with RCCL's debt.

You actually would care if this were to happen (but forutnately it won't). The reason you would care is not because of Carnival Corp. being a bad company (they are a good company). The reason is that if CCL took over RCL, then CCL would have a near monopoly on the cruise industry. You would see prices increase and quality of the product decrease because they would have minimal competition.

In theory. ;)

I don't think the SEC would allow the takeover, especially not the SEC under the current presidential administration.

"What would move the stock is if the Oasis receives such tremenodus feedback that people start booking it like crazy thereby diriving the prices RCL can charge up. The Oasis simply starting to sail however will have no bearing on the price of the stock."

Precisely what I was alluding to. I think this is what will happen. RCI is making The Oasis a destination in the same way Steve Wynn made Las Vegas a destination ... by offering the public things you cannot see or do anywhere else on earth.

Good case in point ... the pundits predicted Celine Dion's appearance at Caesars would fail miserably, but Caesars knew plopping her down in their theater and removing her ability to tour meant people had to come to Las Vegas to see her. Her shows were almost always sold out during her three year run, with most of her audience having NEVER been to Las Vegas before.

The Oasis of the Seas is the first ever cruise ship as destination. I believe people who have never cruised before will want to sail her.

But then, I'm also an eternal optimist like Mickey Mouse. ;)

The proof is in the points! Todays investors are stampeding into anything at all that means good news for a stock. Especially a stock that has a trading avg of $35 plus dollars over the last five years and is currently at $13 and below. If this were even a silly rumor it would be worth five bucks. I would guess that this report isnt even considered rumor by the street. RCL= $ down today? Time to start talkin about other stuff :D

the proof is in the points! Todays investors are stampeding into anything at all that means good news for a stock. Especially a stock that has a trading avg of $35 plus dollars over the last five years and is currently at $13 and below. If this were even a silly rumor it would be worth five bucks. I would guess that this report isnt even considered rumor by the street. Rcl= $ down today? Time to start talkin about other stuff :d

unless just us five or six cc's are the only ones that have seen the article or heard anythign about it. If that is the case.......................pull the trigger!

Archived