Carnival to make a bid for Royal?

I put the link to the story in my favorite places last night and linked. Today, it seems as if Daily Cruise News no longer has the story on the website. http://dailycruisenews.com/artman/publish/cat_index_76.shtml I will retry the link from the first post in this thread again to double check.
This is what I get from the OP (Flagger's) link:

Not Found

The requested document was not found on this server.

Well at least you wouldn't get Mugged at a tractor pull like crime riddened Central Park.

Not to get into a Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean flamewar, but for what it's worth, the real Central Park has come a hell of a long way from the bad days of the 1980s and is far from crime-ridden.

This is what I get from the OP (Flagger's) link:

Not Found

The requested document was not found on this server.

I guess the web site that posted this erroneous article realized it was untrue before some people on this thread. It is amazing that some people on this thread continue to say that there might be some truth to the rumor. Don't believe everything you see on the internet! :D

It is not a self-confident viewpoint. I am merely pointing out facts so that people wandering onto this thread do not become confused and think there is a possibility of CCL acquiring RCL.

If someone posted a comment that Royal Caribbean was now charging $14.95 for all steak in the main dining room I would likewise point out that it is a false rumor and that it is only for an upgraded steak. No different than what is occurring here. If it is "demeaning" to point it out when someone is wrong so that others are not misled, I apologize. This thread should be in the float-away-lounge since it is about a fictional article. :rolleyes:

Well, I am not saying that the possibility of CCL aquiring RCI is very strong, although I am not quite as willing to dismiss it as total fiction as you are. There is really no love lost between the Arrison's and RCI, so I have no doubt that if they could do such a thing without sinking their own ship (pun intended) that they would be eager to do so. That said, the possibilty of the two gaints of the cruise business becoming one is a bit mind boggling. To me, it is an interesting scenario to analyze. You may well prove to be correct in that it is not to be (for the time being), but I am not sure it can be labeled as completely impossible either.

In any case, I sincerely appreciate your response and your efforts to keep the debate civil, as it should be. I do appreciate your position and there is no apology necessary nor expected.

I guess the web site that posted this erroneous article realized it was untrue before some people on this thread. It is amazing that some people on this thread continue to say that there might be some truth to the rumor. Don't believe everything you see on the internet! :D

Still, it makes for a GREAT discussion.

So, what if Carnival made a bid for RCI?

Not to get into a Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean flamewar, but for what it's worth, the real Central Park has come a hell of a long way from the bad days of the 1980s and is far from crime-ridden.

Please don't flame me either everyone - I've never been on Carnival but it looks like a fun cruise. I just wanted to say that although Central Park has come a long way there are indeed spots that are not safe at all - mostly after dark. But rest assured, muggings continue there all the time and there are still attacks on joggers, walkers, tourists.....unfortunately. But we have come a long way - in my opinion not long enough, though.:o

Still, it makes for a GREAT discussion.

So, what if Carnival made a bid for RCI?

How about we discuss NASA being privatized and Carnival Corp. winning the bid. I think it would be really cool if they started building spaceships that were just like cruise ships and they made stops at different ports such as the moon, Mars, and the international space station. Imagine having an aft balcony spaceship stateroom. :cool:

This also makes for GREAT discussion and certainly is not impossible. In fact it is about as likely as CCL taking over RCL. So let's shift gears and spend some time discussing crusing outer space. I am sure someone can find a link to somewhere on the web that mentions cruiseships in space, so therefore nonody can say that this is false speculation. :D

How about we discuss NASA being privatized and Carnival Corp. winning the bid. I think it would be really cool if they started building spaceships that were just like cruise ships and they made stops at different ports such as the moon, Mars, and the international space station. Imagine having an aft balcony spaceship stateroom. :cool:

This also makes for GREAT discussion and certainly is not impossible. In fact it is about as likely as CCL taking over RCL. So let's shift gears and spend some time discussing crusing outer space. I am sure someone can find a link to somewhere on the web that mentions cruiseships in space, so therefore nonody can say that this is false speculation. :D

I gotta turn off my fun blockers. Thanks for the reminder.

While Oasis might enjoy a few good seasons because of peoples curiosity...no serious cruiser would do it more than once.

Here's hoping all my cruises are filled with non-serious cruisers. They're probably a lot more fun than these "serious cruisers" you refer to.

Here's hoping all my cruises are filled with non-serious cruisers. They're probably a lot more fun than these "serious cruisers" you refer to.

Agreed. What is a serious cruiser and why would a serious cruiser not like the Oasis?

Oasis and Allure are two of the biggest mistakes Royal ever made. While Oasis might enjoy a few good seasons because of peoples curiosity...no serious cruiser would do it more than once. Not many cruise vets are interesting in a floating shopping mall/amusement park....filled with "for-fee" venues.

Perhaps Dubai will buy 'em and dock them somewhere for a hotel resort.... They sure have nothing to do with cruising..other than that they float.

Yet, according to your posting history on the Carnival boards, you think the Dream is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This sort of blind following and automatic favoring between two ships we haven't even seen yet is pretty pathetic.

Oasis and Allure are two of the biggest mistakes Royal ever made.

A little premature, even for you, to make that call. Not everyone like the same things, much less the same types of cruises or ships, that's why there are choices.

Agreed. What is a serious cruiser and why would a serious cruiser not like the Oasis?

Yet, according to your posting history on the Carnival boards, you think the Dream is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This sort of blind following and automatic favoring between two ships we haven't even seen yet is pretty pathetic.

Just par for the course and consider the source. :D

Well, I searched google and found an article that hints that soon people might be able to vacation in outer space on a vehcile similar to a cruise ship: "Forty-two percent said they would consider traveling through space via some kind of space cruise vessel that would offer amenities similar to an ocean-going cruise ship. Additionally, 34% would be interested in vacationing for 14 days aboard the Space Shuttle should such a trip ever become available to the public."

Here is a link to the full article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_n2627_v126/ai_19671139/

What do people think of this rumor that we soon may be able to take cruises into space? Who is more likely to start doing this first, Royal Caribbean or Carnival? I am going to call my TA to see if I can place a deposit so I can secure a hump stateroom. :D

Edit: Do people recommend booking the moon buggy excursion directly with the cruise line, or can anybody recommend a good tour guide on the moon for this?

What is going on with Royal Caribbean's stock price?!? When news of possible travel restrctions to Cuba broke, the stock jumped several percent that next trading day. Now we have confirmed news that crusie ships will soon be travelling into outer space with all sorts of cool new ports such as the moon and yet the stock is down nearly 3%. I do not get it. :confused:

I see some things never change. Took a break from the boards for a few months, wander back in today and see that at least one poster still likes to rile people up. (Not saying any names, but it's pretty obvious)

Wonder how that space cruise ship will set up balcony cabins? A bubble on the side of the ship maybe?

I see some things never change. Took a break from the boards for a few months, wander back in today and see that at least one poster still likes to rile people up. (Not saying any names, but it's pretty obvious)

Wonder how that space cruise ship will set up balcony cabins? A bubble on the side of the ship maybe?

He's beating his own dead horse.

He's beating his own dead horse.

If you are referring to me, I still do not understand why you think it is wrong to alert people when there is a false rumor being spread. Imagine if myself (and a couple others who also chimed in) had kept quiet and this thread had nothing but people speculating about this "rumored" takeover of RCL by CCL.

A thread with a title like this one attracts a large number of hits; had I and others not informed people why this rumor is false there would have been many people reading this thread thinking that CCL was actually seriously considering taking over RCL and some people perhaps even thinking a takeover was imminent.

I might not always say things in the most politically correct way, but I believe that I did the right thing dispelling this false rumor even if I had to be blunt at times. The same cannot be said of the people who keep claiming it might be true (even though the only web site that had posted the article has taken the article down) and those who have been taking jabs at me for trying to pointendly dispell this false rumor.

If you are referring to me, I still do not understand why you think it is wrong to alert people when there is a false rumor being spread. Imagine if myself (and a couple others who also chimed in) had kept quiet and this thread had nothing but people speculating about this "rumored" takeover of RCL by CCL.

A thread with a title like this one attracts a large number of hits; had I and others not informed people why this rumor is false there would have been many people reading this thread thinking that CCL was actually seriously considering taking over RCL and some people perhaps even thinking a takeover was imminent.

I might not always say things in the most politically correct way, but I believe that I did the right thing dispelling this false rumor even if I had to be blunt at times. The same cannot be said of the people who keep claiming it might be true (even though the only web site that had posted the article has taken the article down) and those who have been taking jabs at me for trying to pointendly dispell this false rumor.

It's not the fact you're dispelling rumors as this one certainly was. If the article hadn't been removed I would quote from it but I'm almost positive the author was stating heresay and rumor, not fact. Most people were engaging in a conversation regarding hypotheticals and many were outright proving the unlikeliness of it happening. If someone comes along and reads only what they want to read and act on it to purchase stock then it's their own problem. You're not here to police what people can and cannot say. You have a tendency to read what you want and take things out of context to try and prove people wrong. I'm sure you're a very intelligent person but you don't need to prove it in every post and talk down to people. :)

I agree and wouldn't even think of sailing on either of these ships.

It doesn't mean it's false either, we really don't know. I don't know seems so hard for some people to admit.

That's true. When it's not necessarily "true" or "false" it is simply unsubstantiated.

Sometimes rumors prove to be fact, sometimes not,.....but, I don't believe either way until it's shown to be one way or the other through resources other than an obscure website somewhere....:D

It's not the fact you're dispelling rumors as this one certainly was. If the article hadn't been removed I would quote from it but I'm almost positive the author was stating heresay and rumor, not fact. Most people were engaging in a conversation regarding hypotheticals and many were outright proving the unlikeliness of it happening. If someone comes along and reads only what they want to read and act on it to purchase stock then it's their own problem. You're not here to police what people can and cannot say. You have a tendency to read what you want and take things out of context to try and prove people wrong. I'm sure you're a very intelligent person but you don't need to prove it in every post and talk down to people. :)

I have to disagree with you. Advising readers that the rumor being resurrected is no more likely to be true now than it was months ago when it was first spread is not policing what people can and cannot say, but it does try to put things in some sort of perspective so that wildly false claims can't be spread unchallenged. Gonzo and I have had differences of opinion on several topics but I have never observed a practice of his, as you claim, talking down to people.

Personally, I do not care who owns the cruise lines of RCCL as long as the great service of Celebrity and awesome ships of RCI do not change.

Carnival Corp does pretty well with Cunard, HAL, and Princess. The Corp is not to be confused with Carnival Cruise Line.

Ahh, but long timers with HAL and Princess and Cunard all complain about the "Carnivalization" of those lines. I have sailed Carnival, Princess and HAL. I loved HAL and Princess and hated Carnival. I felt that the ships still did have a different feel to them, but I do think you would have a lot of unhappy people if RCL was bought out.

I have to disagree with you. Advising readers that the rumor being resurrected is no more likely to be true now than it was months ago when it was first spread is not policing what people can and cannot say, but it does try to put things in some sort of perspective so that wildly false claims can't be spread unchallenged. Gonzo and I have had differences of opinion on several topics but I have never observed a practice of his, as you claim, talking down to people.

I actually went back over the posts and not one alluded to this actually happening. About 95% said it could never happen with the remainder talking about Oasis/Allure being a failure, Michael Jackson's memorial, NY City and something about a cruise ship in space. :cool:

Well, I searched google and found an article that hints that soon people might be able to vacation in outer space on a vehcile similar to a cruise ship: "Forty-two percent said they would consider traveling through space via some kind of space cruise vessel that would offer amenities similar to an ocean-going cruise ship. Additionally, 34% would be interested in vacationing for 14 days aboard the Space Shuttle should such a trip ever become available to the public."

Here is a link to the full article: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_n2627_v126/ai_19671139/

What do people think of this rumor that we soon may be able to take cruises into space? Who is more likely to start doing this first, Royal Caribbean or Carnival? I am going to call my TA to see if I can place a deposit so I can secure a hump stateroom. :D

Edit: Do people recommend booking the moon buggy excursion directly with the cruise line, or can anybody recommend a good tour guide on the moon for this?

What is going on with Royal Caribbean's stock price?!? When news of possible travel restrctions to Cuba broke, the stock jumped several percent that next trading day. Now we have confirmed news that crusie ships will soon be travelling into outer space with all sorts of cool new ports such as the moon and yet the stock is down nearly 3%. I do not get it. :confused:

And the beating his own dead horse was in regard to these posts.

People absolutely should be able to say what they want; I have never attempted to police that. Many topics on cruise critic are subjective in nature and one person's opinion is no more or less valid than any other persons'. However some topics do have a "right" or "wrong" answer (i.e. the price of a meal at Chops, whether or not there is still a midnight buffet etc.). The article in question indicated that Carnival Corp. was currently contemplaying bidding $35 per share to take over Royal Caribbean. This is not one of those subjective issues where it might be true or might not be true, this is a factually incorrect statement the article made. That is all I was pointing out.

I am not sure where you think I took something out of context - perhaps you could provide me with examples. I am the type of person who likes to be right, but has no problem admitting I am wrong if that turns out to be the case. I always try to examine issues from multiple view points and do not merely filter the available information to suit my opinion.

I also have never purposely tried to talk down to people (and thank you neg for advocating this). I will be the first to admit I am not always politically correct and do not sugar coat things when I disagree with someone, but my intention is never to put someone down. On this thread I did speak (well type) rather sharply on a couple of posts, but it was only because I was frustrated that some people were still giving so much credence to the article which was a blatant misinformation. I have no porblems with people discussing a "hypothetical" merger of RCL and CCL, but this thread was starting to cause the potential for people to read it and think that CCL was actually possibly going to try and take over RCL in the near future. I was simply making it clear to people reading this thread that this is not the case so that a false rumor of something that would impact all the people on these boards to a high degree would not begin to sink in and spread. That was also my point in the comments about space ship cruises - I was using some dry humor as well as trying to show how far fetched the article the OP refererenced was. :)

Archived