Taking Granddaughter

hillorama

We are taking our granddaughter, Sheridan, with us on our cruise on the Conquest on July 19th. I didn't think a thing about it until I read a post on here by a custodial parent, wanting to know what to do since the child's father had passed away.

My granddaughter's parents are very much alive! Do I need a letter of permission from them to take her?

Carnival has not said anything to us about needing any ID (except her passport) for Sheridan.

Our last names differ.

Please help.

Elena:confused:

We just returned from a cruise on the Conquest with our daughter, Sheridan..(she thinks she is the only person in the world named Sheridan).

We took along two friends for the girls. We had the parents of our minor guests complete the following form.

However, we were NEVER asked for this form during the trip. Better safe than sorry, though.

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

You need a notarized permission letter signed by both parents. You also need to take it with you if you go ashore in Mexico. We have taken grandchildren on cruises and sometimes they ask for it and sometimes they don't. We've had the customs agent check it over closely when coming back into the U.S. You also might have some kind of medical release and health insurance information.

Sewut

Yes, make sure you get a notarized consent to travel signed by both parents as well as authorization for medical/dental emergencies. You never know if/when you may need it (no one may ever ask) but it's always better safe than sorry... and if you are going to Mexico, it's especially important should anything happen & you were to miss the ship.

You need a notarized permission letter signed by both parents. You also need to take it with you if you go ashore in Mexico. We have taken grandchildren on cruises and sometimes they ask for it and sometimes they don't. We've had the customs agent check it over closely when coming back into the U.S. You also might have some kind of medical release and health insurance information.

Sewut

Thanks all. I copied the permission slip above and e-mailed it to her parents. They're going to squawk at having to find a notary--ah, well, c'est la vie!:D

Elena

We are taking our granddaughter, Sheridan, with us on our cruise on the Conquest on July 19th. I didn't think a thing about it until I read a post on here by a custodial parent, wanting to know what to do since the child's father had passed away.

My granddaughter's parents are very much alive! Do I need a letter of permission from them to take her?

Carnival has not said anything to us about needing any ID (except her passport) for Sheridan.

Our last names differ.

Please help.

Elena:confused:

If she is under 18 you need the letter if for no other reason so that you can consent for medical treatment. If she is 18 or more then no need for the letter.

Just got back from the Conquest with our minor children all of whom have other parents not on the cruise. We got a similar form signed and notarized along with consent to seek medical care from the other parents. (We never have to pay for notary in our small town) We were told by carnival that we might need it in Mexico. We carried it with us along with the kids passports and the sign and sail cards every time we disembarked at a port. We did not have to use them, only the sign and sail cards. Oh well, better safe than sorry. If you did not bring it, I'll bet they would ask for it!

Archived