Beach Recommendation wanted

alschmid

I will be spending my birthday in Barbados this year on a cruise :).

Ideally a beautiful beach to relax on is in my plans - wanted to see what recommendations and differences between the beaches would be. Don't really want to have to go too far from port to get there (in port from 8-5). Would like something with some vendors for drinks/food etc available. And if there were beach massages available too that would be great.

Also depending on what time we get out to the beach - wondered if there was a "downtown" area with cafes, shops etc to explore that would be easy to do as well?

Any local specialities we should try to get? I think I heard of flying fish on this board - can we get this most anywhere?

I will be spending my birthday in Barbados this year on a cruise :).

Ideally a beautiful beach to relax on is in my plans - wanted to see what recommendations and differences between the beaches would be. Don't really want to have to go too far from port to get there (in port from 8-5). Would like something with some vendors for drinks/food etc available. And if there were beach massages available too that would be great.

Also depending on what time we get out to the beach - wondered if there was a "downtown" area with cafes, shops etc to explore that would be easy to do as well?

Any local specialities we should try to get? I think I heard of flying fish on this board - can we get this most anywhere?

Requesting a beautiful beach only narrows it down to the WHOLE island:D;) every beach in Barbados is beautiful so you have no problems there.

There are a couple of beaches near the port...the popular boatyard and the popular with the locals Malibu/Brandons. Both of these locations have food options close by. Brandons has Weiser's Beach Bar and Boatyard is also a beach bar. You can get our delicious flying fish at both of these locations and pretty much anywhere else that sells food across the island. Not sure a bout the massages

Then there is Accra Beach which is on our south coast...you will have to take a taxi or public transport to get there. Aplmac is the expert on this beach and I am sure he will be on here with some more details and beautiful pics of this beach and the others I mentioned above. He will probably have some other suggestions as well.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask

• 3 weeks later...

alschmid...I will be in Barbados for my birthday as well on Aug. 5. When is your B-day? What did you decide to do about beaches? I am trying to decide the same thing:confused:.

Enjoy!

Laurie

Hi Laurie -

Funny - we have the same birthday! I'm thinking we will do either the boatyard or accra/rockley just depending on what we feel like doing that day. Seems hard to beat spending your birthday on a beautiful beach :) I can't wait!

~Amy

Amy

I didn't realize when I asked you when your birthday was that you were going to be on the same cruise as us! We were thinking Accra too. Is the other beach you mentioned easier (cheaper) to get to? Just as nice? I've probably read about it but my head is swimming at this point.:eek:

Laurie

From my understanding - the boatyard is closer/cheaper but maybe not quite as nice. Seems like its a little more of a party atmosphere? But there are beach toys etc around. I just figured I'd see what I felt like doing that day - and see what time we are ready to go somewhere since I might sleep in :)

~Amy

I just posted this review if it helps:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20552800#post20552800 (post # 7)

Rockley did not have a party atmosphere, at least not while we were there. No jet skis, beach toys, loud music, just beautiful and relaxing. There were no massages there unless Accra Resort offers them. Hope this helps!

I have been to Carlisle Beach beyond Boatyard, where it is quieter. There was a place with facilities that has since closed.

According to one poster, Lobster Alive does have umbrellas and chairs and it is near Boatyard.

I am looking for a beautiful beach with chaises, shade, facilities and calm water.

If you are looking for a nice caribbean type beach

then the Boatyard is definitely not going to make the grade.

Depends on what scenario and expectations you have in your head! ;) :)

I've heard people almost rave about Carlisle Bay

(of which Boatyard is just one small section on a 2 mile beach)

Accra is definitely better, I'll admit that!

I agree with Junkie, although nice, the boatyard is not the best the caribbean has to offer. We have been there twice and both times found it quite busy. It is however close to the pier and it does have a few floating inflatables (crawling with kids). I believe the chairs we included in your entry price. The are also boats which will take you snorkeling. I think we paid $15 pp. The bar was a bit $$ so if you want to save a couple bucks, there is a grocery store 3 blocks from the boatyard. $0.75 beer as opposed to $4.00 beer.

Is the water calm enough for swimming at Accra?
If you get out beyond the surfy zone' date=' in water up to your chest/neck -on a nice sandy bottom

yes, you can wallow out there for an hour at least

but it's [i']not pond-calm, okay?[/i]

Wear a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen ;)

Archived