Which Hotel in Anchorage?

BOATCAT66

My family will be in Anchorage for 1 night (pre-cruise), we arrive late and then catch a 10am train the next day. So which one?

I would need more information to make a suggestion - will you have one room or two? Are there kids too who would want a pool? Will you be ordering pizza or take-out to your room, or do you want to be able to walk somewhere to get a bite to eat. I'm assuming you will take a taxi or shuttle to the hotel?

Melodyina, we need two rooms, two kids will be with us. A shuttle would be nice. We could do either for getting a bite to eat. Our plane gets in at 7pm, after flying in from Texas, I'm sure we will be tired and hungery.

We stayed at Homewood Suites. They had a free shuttle from the airport, free breakfast and mon thru thurs a free light supper in the evening. We had a two bedroom two bathroom suite for four people. It was excellent in everyway.

Oldmama, Comfort Inn at Ship Creek is not available. Any other suggestions? Please.

Sorry I can't tell you more. September will be my first time to Alasks & Comfort Inn is where we'll be staying. Check out reviews on Trip Advisor & also check the Alaska Tour & Travel website.

We loved the Embassy Suites. A bit more pricey but they pick you up at the airport and shuttle you downtown or anywhere within 5 miles you want to go. They have a cocktail hour at night with two free drinks and a wonderful fully cooked breakfast in the morning.

Larmaro: I'd been interested in Embassy Suites, but then decided against it because I assumed it'd be much noisier than being in a high rise hotel. We decided on Capt Cook because I thought that being high up, we wouldn't hear much traffic noise, sirens, garbage collection, whatever. I'd be interested to learn that your room was very quiet: I'd sure rather pay ES prices than CC prices.

Also: Did you go to dinner at any of the in-town restaurants? Did they actually shuttle you there and then come back and pick you up? Did you do the Tony Knowles trail? Did they take you there as well?

Thanks.

The hotel was very quiet and it really is a very nice place to stay. The shuttle service goes to a few other hotels so they drop you off downtown at the log cabin visitors centre. Then you call when you want to be picked up. You can walk to the restauants from there. We didn't have to wait long. Actually we went downtown in the afternoon and went back to the hotel for the reception and ended up having dinner there. Their food is very good. We loved the fish chowder. The next day we rented a car and they drove us downtown to Enterprise.

We stayed 3 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn at the start of our trip to Denali and 1 night at the Embassy Suites before the train to Whittier. Both hotels use the same shuttle for airport and downtown runs. Also took us to the train station. Both are very nice hotels. We used reward stay so not sure of cost.

They are located in midtown area.

I found rooms at Clarion Suites (on 8 Str.) with shuttle and breakfast. Anyone stayed there?

You might wish to look at the Best Western Golden Lion. Fabulous pizza place across the street too. When we have conferences at work, and people are flying into Anchorage from the bush, its where we always book them.

http://www.bestwesterngoldenlion.com/dining-n-entertainment.html

Larmaro: I'd been interested in Embassy Suites, but then decided against it because I assumed it'd be much noisier than being in a high rise hotel. We decided on Capt Cook because I thought that being high up, we wouldn't hear much traffic noise, sirens, garbage collection, whatever. I'd be interested to learn that your room was very quiet: I'd sure rather pay ES prices than CC prices.

Also: Did you go to dinner at any of the in-town restaurants? Did they actually shuttle you there and then come back and pick you up? Did you do the Tony Knowles trail? Did they take you there as well?

Thanks.

FYI - the Captain Cook does not have air conditioned rooms. If you're there when it's warmer, you will need to open your room's windows to get air circulation, and you can hear the street noise. Now, this is Anchorage, not New York City, and not much "city" noise, but if you are that sensitive - be aware.

We had a family vote about our favorite hotel. The kids picked Residence Inn in Midtown, ANC, hands down. They have a free breakfast, laundry facilities, pool and tennis courts. Weeknights they even served dinner. They chose this over Princess Denali, Princess Kenai (second place), Marriott downtown ANC and Pinnacle Marriott downtown Vancouver (which came in 3rd). If you are taking a taxi, it doesn't matter if you are in downtown or 5 min. away. That was our experience. Have a great trip!

Karen

I found rooms at Clarion Suites (on 8 Str.) with shuttle and breakfast. Anyone stayed there?

We stayed at the Clarion this year the end of May and were very happy. They picked us up from the airport and took us the next day to the train station. They have a pool and a free breakfast. We had a 2 room suite with a pullout sofa in the "Living room". The staff was pleasant and helpful. We walked to a restaurant around the corner to eat. Their senior rate starts at age 50 so if you are 50 don't forget to ask about the special rate.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Has anyone had any experience Extended Stay downtown? They have a crazy low rate for our one night stay next June. It's a quick stop over before catching the train to Seward. I don't know how close it is to the train station. They indicate they have shuttle but it doesn't specify if there is a limitation on it. This might even help the OP as rates were extremely reasonable for a few dates in August I chose.

Thanks for the feedback-- much appreciated.

I was aware that CC doesn't have a.c., but I assumed we'd be using the ceiling fan, not opening window. Also, if we're way up on a very high floor, I was thinking we'd not hear any street noise. I wonder if that's true.

Our rate at CC is about $20 more than what it'd be at Embassy (though more once we include having to pay for airport transfer, etc.). I think we'll probably stay with CC just to have the convenience of not having to wait around for shuttle each time we want to go somewhere. I like the idea of being able to walk around the downtown area, to restaurants, etc.

We stayed at the Clarion this year the end of May and were very happy. They picked us up from the airport and took us the next day to the train station. They have a pool and a free breakfast. We had a 2 room suite with a pullout sofa in the "Living room". The staff was pleasant and helpful. We walked to a restaurant around the corner to eat. Their senior rate starts at age 50 so if you are 50 don't forget to ask about the special rate.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the info. We are going to try the Clarion. The price is good and with shuttle service and breakfast. I think it's our best choice.

Archived