Road to Hana comfort Q

flashdog_1

All the ads for excursions say not to take this is you have back or neck problems. Is it because of the twisty roads or the bumpy, non-paved road on the way back? I'm leaning toward not doing this if it causes tension in my neck! But I'd like to do it. Can anyone report on this? Thanks

All the ads for excursions say not to take this is you have back or neck problems. Is it because of the twisty roads or the bumpy, non-paved road on the way back? I'm leaning toward not doing this if it causes tension in my neck! But I'd like to do it. Can anyone report on this? Thanks

AS I reported in my review, this road, for us, was NOT the scary, intense experience some report it is. Sure, it is one lane bridges and some sharp turns. I am not sure how it would be in the excursion bus- I saw some of those and they seemed large for the road. Most of the road is paved and not bumpy. Unless you are just one that gets super tense and stressed- you should be just fine. I would suggest doing it and maybe taking some medication along to ease the tension if you need it. We drove it ourselves and were glad we did. HTH

Last year we did a trip to the north rim Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion and Yosemite... in our driving, we decided to take an east west route over some mountains just north of Yosemite Park...forgot the name of it... It was the highest, most curvy, zig zag, terrifying road I had ever been on or driven. My husband feels I'm the strongest driver and felt comfortable asking me to do the driving. There were no guardrails which shocked us. As I was driving, I kept shouting out "oh my god .. " because I was just in disbelief of the breathtaking beauty ...disbelief of what I was seeing. My husband kept telling me to keep my eyes on the road. I finally asked him if it was making him nervous ...and would he prefer to drive ...he was white knuckled from holding onto the car door so hard. He replied, "no I trust you completely...and I don't want to be the one who is at the wheel of the car in case we go off this mountain and be responsible for our children losing their parents!" But by the end of the drive, we both agreed that it was without a doubt the most spectacular road and sites that we had ever seen in our lifetime ... it felt like a gift from God to see his magnificant creation. I wished our children were with us to experience it. I couldn't imagine ever seeing such beauty or views on a road again in our lifetime... until we heard about the road to Hana. Just enjoy the trip... practice breathing ...relax and enjoy it! There was no doubt that we'd do the road to Hana. I took the recommendations on this board and splurged for the little extra money, and rented a convertible to do the trip. Can't imagine doing it in a bus with alot of other people.

I just drove this road in April ( I am 66yrs.young) & as it is a very curvy road with a lot of one lane bridges it was a paved road & did not seem bumpy to me at all. The scenery was beautiful & I thought well worth the ride. I think maybe the bus tours take a bumpy return trip on unpaved roads, as I did not see any buses on the road back, but if you rent a car & drive yourself you will be returning down the same paved road you traveled up because the rental cars are prohibited from traveling the unpaved roads back & it is clearly stated in your rental agreement. If you take that way back & something happens to the car you are responsible for all repairs...

up and back and very curvy! Sometimes the "locals" will ride your "tail" because they want to go faster than you are! If that happens just pull over. I've only ever done it in a private rental car...if you get car sick...be sure you drive...otherwise you might not feel so hot! But it is beautiful! LuAnn

Very curvy! My husband was complaining his wrists hurt after, but he said it was worth it! :) However, it wasn't ANYTHING like what some people made it out to be. People had us scared and we were fine. We didn't think it was that bad at all. I don't think you should have neck problems from the drive itself, but maybe at some of the stops. We did this on our own with a guidebook, so it was wonderful.

Very curvy! My husband was complaining his wrists hurt after, but he said it was worth it! :) However, it wasn't ANYTHING like what some people made it out to be. People had us scared and we were fine. We didn't think it was that bad at all. I don't think you should have neck problems from the drive itself, but maybe at some of the stops. We did this on our own with a guidebook, so it was wonderful.

I think the people who are afraid on the RTH may be from the plains and used to flat and straight.:D

We just did it in April. The road was alot easier than we expected (because we are from Northern California). It was O'heo Gulch that I thought was the most intriguing. Make sure you bring a towel and bathing suit and sandals. It was probably the most idyllic scenary in the entire trip. It is a narrow two lane road most of the way, but it gets more narrow once you get past Hana.

I really don't think many people say the RTH is scary. Most say it just needs your undivided attention most of the time. You have to be aware of who is coming your way, be aware of when to go on the one lane bridges and when to wait, take the curves a bit slower. The RTH is much more fun for passengers than for drivers, as they do have to keep their eyes on the road. But, as was, said, it is nothing like driving some of the mountain roads out west. We drove up Pike's Peak, and although it is not a real dangerous road, there are no guard rails, it's a dirt type road, and when you are on the outside and there is nothing between you and a 5,000 foot drop off the side but a few feet of dirt, THAT is scary.

We just took the trip all the way around this past June. We took a rental van and had no problems, but the road can get bumpy, unpaved and small past the Gulch. Some of the roads you prayed no one was coming the other way because their was no room to pull over. Someone was going to have to back up or down a hill. However, it was trip I would not miss. Some of the sites are breath taking. A couple of notes: If you go this summer, it has been very dry and some of the falls are not as big as the pictures you see. The Seven Pools are VERY dry. Seven is currently down to three. We were walking in areas we swam in 4 years ago. They are also doing contruction of a new parking lot and you have to park in a grassy area the could get muddy if it does start to rain. It cost $10 per car to get into the Gulch area, but it also gives you a 3 day access to Haleakela crater since it is officially the same park. Their are 2 construction spots on the road to Hana that will stop traffic in both directions for up to 30 minutes at a time. Make sure you stop and use the bathroom facilities when you can. We ended up creating a "beach towel bathroom" for my DD by the side of the rode while we waited. If you bring a lunch, it is a great time to eat.

I'd love to hear from people who did NOT rent a car, but took an excursion, whether the ship's or a private company for the Road to Hana and beyond.

I did a tour 4 years ago from a hotel in Wiamea, so take this information for what it is worth.

With stops, plan 3 hours to Hana.

First of all, we like the tour, but plan the whole day for the tour. They picked us up EARLY in the morning and then stopped for breakfast. Since they were collecting people from various hotels, I assume you might skip breakfast. The 12 passenger van was very comfortable and the guide and driver were nice, knowledgeable locals. If you drive yourself, the driver will miss a lot becuase he/she will be too busy concentrating. The tour stops at the usual sights along the road and some tourist destination as well, such as gift shops and a florist shop. We did stop at a falls where local teens were cliff jumping off a water fall, but it was planned because their was a tip box. What you do not stop at is some of the out of the way beautiful falls that you have to get to by trails and fence jumping. You can get directions to these by using a certain blue guide book (I don't know if I can use the name):rolleyes: We stopped for a wonderful picnic lunch provided by the tour at a park with a black sand beach that is safe for swimming, a walk in lava tube, toilet facilities and locals jumping off cliffs into the ocean. We spent time at the Gulch where you can also swim in fresh water (fee included in the price) and stopped at Lindburg's grave. The trip around the other side included great photo stops and a stop at the winery (free taste of pineapple wine). If you are prone to car sickness, take some meds and do not sit in the back of the van. Having done the tour and driven, I would say drive IF the driver is comfotable on small, curved roads that are unpaved in portions and IF the driver is not interested in scenery viewing. If you drive, the unwritten rule is to let the opposing cars clear on one lane bridges before you proceed. Some locals will stop for opposing traffic if they are more than fifth in line for the bridge. Pull over when you can for locals to pass (they are the ones tail gating your bumper). The car will not be damaged if you drive sensiblly, but DO NOT tell the rental company your going all the way around

In either case, remember that you will be on the rainy side of the island for the first half, but that is what brings the waterfalls

Any reports of the Road to Hana with Roberts. I called and they said there would be no stops for swimming, or a stop at Lindbergs's grave, BUT they did go all the way around. Has anyone taken this excursion and not the one from the cruise shlp---would appreciate any review. What size bus did they use? Thanks

Any reports of the Road to Hana with Roberts. I called and they said there would be no stops for swimming, or a stop at Lindbergs's grave, BUT they did go all the way around. Has anyone taken this excursion and not the one from the cruise shlp---would appreciate any review. What size bus did they use? Thanks

That is odd because most local van tours make those stops. You can not take anything larger than a van on those roads.

Aloha,

I did finally answer some of your questions about this--please see your earlier thread. Trouble with the site so I answered you twice (does that make the answer twice as good??;)

We just did it in April. The road was alot easier than we expected (because we are from Northern California). It was O'heo Gulch that I thought was the most intriguing. Make sure you bring a towel and bathing suit and sandals. It was probably the most idyllic scenary in the entire trip. It is a narrow two lane road most of the way, but it gets more narrow once you get past Hana.

are there rest room facilities at O'heo Gulch to change into bathing suits? heard the rest rooms on the road to hana are not very clean.

are there rest room facilities at O'heo Gulch to change into bathing suits? heard the rest rooms on the road to hana are not very clean.

Only Porta Potties were available at the Gulch last June. Rest rooms on the road were not the best, but well needed.

Archived