Paris Hotels??

dougt1957

My wife and I are considering a two night stay in Paris prior to a cruise out of Marseille in May of 2010. Any one have recommendations for a decent hotel? I would like to stay close to the Eiffel Tower or The Louvre. Something around two hundred U.S. dollars. We just want to see a few major sights and enjoy some french food. We plan to take a train to Marseille on Monday morning for an 8:00 p.m. embark from the Garde de Lyon station so it would be nice to be close to that area if possible.

My wife and I are considering a two night stay in Paris prior to a cruise out of Marseille in May of 2010. Any one have recommendations for a decent hotel? I would like to stay close to the Eiffel Tower or The Louvre. Something around two hundred U.S. dollars. We just want to see a few major sights and enjoy some french food. We plan to take a train to Marseille on Monday morning for an 8:00 p.m. embark from the Garde de Lyon station so it would be nice to be close to that area if possible.

We always stay at the Hotel La Perle in Saint Germain http://www.hotel-paris-laperle.com/ . It’s a small boutique hotel with a great left bank location. The rooms are small but well equipped. Very easy to walk to most tourist sites and museums. Great places to eat in the neighborhood.

We just returned last night from a 3 week trip including a 5 day stay in Paris. We stayed in the 1arr at Hotel Brighton. The rates were a little more than $200/night but we went in June plus we got views of the Eiffel tower which was lovely since every night at 11pm it was light up with a million sparkling lights. We were within walking distance of the Louvre, Jardin des Tuileries. We even walked to Notre Dame and my mother is 74 years old. There are many hotels in the area check on Tripadvisor and look for the 1st arrondissement or district.

We just returned last night from a 3 week trip including a 5 day stay in Paris. We stayed in the 1arr at Hotel Brighton. The rates were a little more than $200/night but we went in June plus we got views of the Eiffel tower which was lovely since every night at 11pm it was light up with a million sparkling lights. We were within walking distance of the Louvre, Jardin des Tuileries. We even walked to Notre Dame and my mother is 74 years old. There are many hotels in the area check on Tripadvisor and look for the 1st arrondissement or district.

I agree re the Brighton and location is wonderful.Also, in same area is the Jolly Hotel Lotti to chack out.More than 200 a night,but as with the Brighton well worth it IMHO.

We are going 2-1/2 days early to visit. I have a friend who is from there and she is going to take care of all the Paris accomodations, tours, planning etc... It is really hard for me to not be in control of this part of the trip, but I truly trust her and her decisions. Why shouldn't I? She has grown up in Paris.

If I hear anything about great hotels, I will pass it on. Not sure if we are staying with her or family, or even just "borrowing" a friends apartment for two days. She hasn't told me yet. The wait is driving me crazy!

I might ask her too, she might think I am asking for myself and give me some kind of hint. LOL

Strange choice of board on which to post this question.

We enjoyed our week-long stay three years ago at the Hotel Muguet near the Invalides and Eiffel Tower, and close to the Rue Cler so-promoted by Rick Steves in his guidebooks. Great location and lovely modern rooms and near two metro stops.

I really enjoyed L'Academie which is just off Boulevard St Germain. Really great location and a super small typical French hotel. You can walk to Notre Dame and Eiffel Tower from it. peronally I'd visit the Musee D'Orsay rather than the Louvre. It's in a converted railway station has a fantastic collection of paintings & sculptures, is not as busy as the Louvre and has an amazing rooftop cafe where you can go outside onto a balcony area and get great views all over the city.

Whether you go with my hotel suggestion or not, seriously consider this arrondissment. There is just such an amazing atmosphere in this part of the Latin Quarter

Strange choice of board on which to post this question.

We enjoyed our week-long stay three years ago at the Hotel Muguet near the Invalides and Eiffel Tower, and close to the Rue Cler so-promoted by Rick Steves in his guidebooks. Great location and lovely modern rooms and near two metro stops.

The Hotel Muguet has been a favorite for years of a lot of people(from the old AOL boards even)...sometimes hard to book a room there.:)

• 3 months later...

Dougt1957

We are planning the same....3 nites in Paris. Also looking for a hotel with a central location....prob. 1-5th arrond.

How much is the train fare to Marseille, and is it too soon to buy tickets?

We are also looking for a hotel in Venice for 1 extra nite then home to Mtl.

I will follow your progress... The planning is half the fun!!

(P.S. you'll love Oceania)

It may be a little higher than your budget (but then again, if it's early May you may get a better price) but I highly recommend Hotel Britannique. I prefer to be near the Louvre and Notre Dame, rather than near the Eiffel Tower. This hotel is in a fabulous location for the price, and is a cosy, well-run boutique hotel that's about a 2 minute walk to the Seine, 5 minutes to Notre Dame and 10 minutes to the Louvre entrance.

Even better, it's located very close to the Chatelet-Les Halles major hub, meaning that it is easy to take the RER train from Charles de Gaulle airport into the city. From the stop it's about a 3 minute walk to the hotel; easily doable with reasonable luggage. This is also a major metro hub so getting around is a cinch.

Don't eat the pricey hotel breakfast; there are good and cheap cafes nearby, also a convenience store and places to buy wine, cheese, etc. There are great restaurants nearby; I particularly like the Marais area.

I've read that some of the top floor rooms have a view of the Eiffel Tower, but I haven't experienced one.

Dougt1957

We are planning the same....3 nites in Paris. Also looking for a hotel with a central location....prob. 1-5th arrond.

How much is the train fare to Marseille, and is it too soon to buy tickets?

We are also looking for a hotel in Venice for 1 extra nite then home to Mtl.

I will follow your progress... The planning is half the fun!!

(P.S. you'll love Oceania)

Two years ago we stayed at the Albergo San Marco. It is one block from St. Mark's square and within walking distance of the public boat taxis to the airport. Ride to airport was about 6 E apiece. Hotel was nice enough to pack our included breakfast for the boat ride since we had an early flight. This was a small typical European hotel. Small rooms but very good service. There are larger hotels but much more money.

• 8 months later...
It may be a little higher than your budget (but then again, if it's early May you may get a better price) but I highly recommend Hotel Britannique. I prefer to be near the Louvre and Notre Dame, rather than near the Eiffel Tower. This hotel is in a fabulous location for the price, and is a cosy, well-run boutique hotel that's about a 2 minute walk to the Seine, 5 minutes to Notre Dame and 10 minutes to the Louvre entrance.

Even better, it's located very close to the Chatelet-Les Halles major hub, meaning that it is easy to take the RER train from Charles de Gaulle airport into the city. From the stop it's about a 3 minute walk to the hotel; easily doable with reasonable luggage. This is also a major metro hub so getting around is a cinch.

Don't eat the pricey hotel breakfast; there are good and cheap cafes nearby, also a convenience store and places to buy wine, cheese, etc. There are great restaurants nearby; I particularly like the Marais area.

I've read that some of the top floor rooms have a view of the Eiffel Tower, but I haven't experienced one.

Thank you for the recommendation. We took your advice and found that the Britannique was great. Our room was right over the front door (rm 11) so we didn't get to see the Eiffel tower. The staff is small and friendly. The location is outstanding for those who want to be in the middle of Paris.

One caveat: if you are a rookie traveler I wouldn't recommend taking the RER from CDG. The trains and subway can be very confusing unless you've been there at least once.

Archived