Cash or credit when in port?

ksatte03

My first cruise is next week and I wasn't sure when we dock in Cozumel if I should take cash (assuming they accept American money) or my credit card with me for souvenirs. I don't want to mess with traveler's checks so I was wondering what you do...

Thanks!!! :)

You should bring both. Some places accept only cash, like street vendors. For any substantial purchase, from a reputable merchant in a tourist area, they will likely accept credit cards.

Remember the credit cards give you protections you can't get with cash, so use them if you can. Avoid debit cards.

Taxi's don't take plastic. Some stores don't either. Tipping is easier with cash of course.

For each of our shore excursions, I took the plastic and about $50-$60 in cash. Small bills are good -- a handful of $20's are not. I couldn't buy a Red Stripe at one of our Jamaican stops because the girl selling them didn't have change for a $20 :( . I got change @ the Purser's Desk on ship.

Sometimes you can pay with US $ and you will get change back in their country dollars. You can always find some cheap stuff in the embarkation stores. I bought a bottle of Jamaican hot sauce with my last $250 J.

You should bring both. Some places accept only cash, like street vendors. For any substantial purchase, from a reputable merchant in a tourist area, they will likely accept credit cards.

Remember the credit cards give you protections you can't get with cash, so use them if you can. Avoid debit cards.

Just curious as to why to avoid debit cards?

My first cruise is next week and I wasn't sure when we dock in Cozumel if I should take cash (assuming they accept American money) or my credit card with me for souvenirs. I don't want to mess with traveler's checks so I was wondering what you do...

If you call your CC company, you should have no problem with your CC, we use it all the time. Just don't want them to place a hold on your account. That happened 5 years ago when we were in Canada. When I called the CC company, they stated that there was suspicious activity and that they were hoping I would call to clarify the purchases. You would think they would call you, and not say, "We were hoping you would call." What if I really did not know and never got called and then saw my bill :eek:

American money ;):D

Taxi's don't take plastic. Some stores don't either. Tipping is easier with cash of course.

For each of our shore excursions, I took the plastic and about $50-$60 in cash. Small bills are good -- a handful of $20's are not. I couldn't buy a Red Stripe at one of our Jamaican stops because the girl selling them didn't have change for a $20 :( . I got change @ the Purser's Desk on ship.

Sometimes you can pay with US $ and you will get change back in their country dollars. You can always find some cheap stuff in the embarkation stores. I bought a bottle of Jamaican hot sauce with my last $250 J.

OK, I'm gonna sound like a total idiot but what in the hell is a Red Stripe?? I keep seeing it mentioned on several CC boards...:confused:

OK, I'm gonna sound like a total idiot but what in the hell is a Red Stripe?? I keep seeing it mentioned on several CC boards...:confused:

Hooray Beer!

Kingston, Jamaica brew.

"You sir, you are an ugly man......hold this Red Stripe..."

"hooray beer says the Beautiful man"

I don't use my credit card ashore in most places. Too much chance of somebody swiping the numbers.

I use cash for almost everything on a cruise, including my onboard account.....

It's a personal choice, I suppose.

It is up to you to know the exchange rate and sometimes in Mexico, when you use a credit card, you agree on one price, and they charge you in Pesos, and if you don't know the exchange rate, you may get overcharged.

If you stick with the ships recommended stores for big purchases you have a guarantee. I bought a bracelet at an off the beaten path store, was overcharged on my credit card, and the company told me it is up to me to know my exchange rates.

Now I just use cash.

Hooray Beer!

Kingston, Jamaica brew.

"You sir, you are an ugly man......hold this Red Stripe..."

"hooray beer says the Beautiful man"

Well if I haven't learned anything else, at least now I know what a Red Stripe is....it's beer!!

Just curious as to why to avoid debit cards?

I think my bank charges me $4 per foreign transaction on my debit card. That's a pretty big chunk added to a $10 purchase.

In general, I use cash unless I'm spending more than about $40 (in which case I'll charge it). It's sort of like at home, except the bar is a little higher (i.e., I'm slightly more inclined to pay cash on vacation because I don't want a giant bill when I get home. On the other hand, I don't want to deplete all my cash because I have one large purchase).

Another advantage to paying cash is that you know exactly how much you're paying. I'm not sure if there are any destinations on domestic cruises that don't generally take $US. I'm sure there are exceptions in specific ports. Some vendors in foreign ports will charge your card directly in $US (I think this was the case at the shop we visited in Grand Cayman). Otherwise, you're charged in the local currency and are at the mercy of the credit card company's exchange rate, which is never favourable to the retail purchaser.

Personally, I always take cash. I never take my credit cards and make purchases off the ship. I have read many posts where the info from the card is taken and they get lots of charges for things that were not purchased. Take cash and travelers checks.....

Wow. I agree no debit cards on foreign soil. CC generally give you the best exchange rate so other than small purchases, we always use credit cards. Also, our experience has been very positive with the protection of the CC.

We will of course have some cash but not too much outside of tipping.

I also use cash and credit. I've had my numbers stolen in the US and I know my credit card company does an excellent job in handling these kinds of problems. You should have no more worries than you do about using your card at home. Crooks are everywhere.

I only take a small amount of cash off the ship. Only what I can afford to lose without impacting the rest of my vacation. I am 10x more likely to lose my money than I am to have it stolen.

My credit card does charge a fee for foreign transactions so I generally only use it for items above $25.

I primarily use credit cards when I travel (both on cruises and elsewhere). Only time I've had a problem was one year when I went to France, I got a call from my Credit Card company about suspicious activity on my card....someone was trying to use it in California to buy a large quantity of printer cartidges. They cancelled the credit card and FedEx'd a new one to my home. (They offered to send it to my hotel but I had a back-up card.)

I do agree about using cash for smaller purchases (my limit is up to $40-50). I take the debit card to get cash from ATMs in local currency where needed but do not use it for purchases.

I carry both a cc and cash. I carry small bills - ones, fives & tens - and a low limit cc that I keep for trips & I use a different one for my S&S account. I don't generally buy much (OK-the bobble heads get me! And everyone loves them as gifts!), so generally use cash. I never use my debit card - in fact, I don't even carry it on a trip. I'm only liable for $50 on my cc but if they get my debit card number I could be in a world of hurt!

Mostly cash. I feel uncomfortable using credit cards in many foreign ports. But I seldom make large purchases on vacation. To me, the vacation is the best memory/large purchase there is.

I book my shore excursions myself, and most independant excursion places prefer cash.

2 Things to keep in mind if using a CC overseas, Most CC are going to charge you a Foreign Currency Exchange fee, and also call your CC company to let them know you might be using it overseas.

It really just depends on personal preference, for larger purchases I would stick with the CC for smaller, I favor cash

OK, so I'm assuming American money is accepted?

Yep, American money is readily accepted in Cozumel. We take one credit card ashore with us just in case, but we only use cash when on the islands. We don't make large purchases and see no reason to take the chance that our credit card information will be stolen. Enjoy !:)

Archived