St. Petersburg private van excursion

Tigress1013

We haven't done the Princess private van excursion but do know people who did on our recent Tahitian Baltic cruise. They enjoyed it but when talking to them about the cost, it was twice as expensive as booking a private tour with one of the companies that offer tours in St. Petersburg. We used Anastasia and were very happy with her and the guide we had. In talking to the people who did the Princess private tour, we found that we saw more for less money.

We got the Princess van for one day of our two day stay in St. Petersburg and had a group of 8. This was great; it was about 2005 and I don't remember the price, but it wasn't bad when you split it up among 8 persons.

We got a driver and a guide and set up our plan beforehand. We walked right into the Hermitage, never had to wait anywhere. The guide was a college professor, spoke excellent English and gave her honest opinion on just about everything. It was a wonderful experience.

Anyone had tried the Princess private van excursion for St. Petersburg on Emerald Baltic cruise? Any feedback?

We didn't book the Princess private van but we had the Princess private car because we were a party of 3. A whole day with guide and driver cost $800 USD, not including tip.

We got to go straight into the Hermitage and didn't have to follow the big group, and had a choice of what we wanted to see.

I'm sure the van will be roomy but our car (mercedes sedan) was a bit tight for 3 adults.

The tour guide is already waiting for you once you pass through customs and you can take off on your tour asap without having to wait for the coach to fill up.

If you take private Princess tour you don't need a visa, which is a plus.

I highly recommend it!

Anyone had tried the Princess private van excursion for St. Petersburg on Emerald Baltic cruise? Any feedback?

I'd recommend you look to see if there are indpendent operators. I compared in Rome, Florence, Athens, Istanbul, Naples and Kusadasi between private vehicle and the Princess. Princess was pretty much 2x, likely with the difference going into the cruiselines pocket. There was a recent article cruiselines pocket 50% of the excursion which would be inline with the price difference we saw in the Med.

Even divided by the # of passengers, a private operator will often result in a price cheaper then the cruiseline line big bus tours

Good luck.

If you take private Princess tour you don't need a visa, which is a plus.

All of the recognized tour operators (DenRus, Red October, Alla, etc.) will take care of the visa. Your tour ticket acts as your visa and just needs to be shown to the immigration agent.

We used Red October and told them were we wanted to go. We met other couples through the threads and we all went together. Six of us, rather then 50 of our closest friends!! Much better to have a smaller group. We were able to get into the Hermitage early and our guide got us to the front of the line at Catherines.

Used the Princess private van tour option in St Petersburg several years ago. It was great, and changed forever my view on how to see ports-of-call. Whenever I can I now hire a private car and driver.

I cannot count the wasted time sitting on those tour buses waiting for one last passenger who forgotten the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi TTC---i will also be using the Princess full day -private sedan--What would you consider to be a good gratituity for good service to the guide, and also the driver. i would certainly like to treat these people fairly for their services--thanks---safety

Hi TTC---i will also be using the Princess full day -private sedan--What would you consider to be a good gratituity for good service to the guide, and also the driver. i would certainly like to treat these people fairly for their services--thanks---safety

When I went to the Purser's desk and asked about tipping the driver, they mentioned I didn't need to tip the driver, so we didn't. We were thinking about it, but he picked us up late from Peterhof and our private guide even phoned the company to complain about him.

Our guide, Anna, did an excellent job, so we tipped her $30 USD ($10 USD per person) for the full-day private sedan tour.

The Princess site also mentions it is "customary" to take the tour guide out to lunch, but Anna didn't want to eat or drink.

Hope this helps!

Hi Tigress, I will be using a private car in St Petersburg. I have arranged this thru Princess. A driver and a guide will be part of the arrangements. Like you the cost per day will be appprox. $750. What is an appropiate tip to each the driver and the guide. I certainly want to express my gratitude to them with a proper amount----thanks---Safety

Archived