Olympia Airways Business Class

Palmetto Lady

Our TA has booked us Business Class on Olympia Airways from Athens to Charlotte in May 2010. It is a one way ticket because we originally flew to Hong Kong and from them we are crusing to Athens. Has anyone had any experience with Olympia?

From the Olympic Airlines website:

Services and comfort on Board

International - Long haul Sectors served: U.S.A., Canada, S. Africa

Flight duration: more than 7 hours

Aircraft type: A340-300

l Special sleeper seats at 58 in. pitch, equipped with reading light, personal video screen, remote control, height and side adjustable headrest, adjustable footrest and seatback.

l Champaign or juice before take off

l Greek and foreign newspapers

l Coat closet

l Breakfast and meal (hot dish - 3 choices)

l Second service: hot snack

l Coffee / tea / fruit juice, soft drinks, wine / spirits / liqueurs / beer, mineral water

l Child meal (on request upon the reservation or at least 24 hours before departure)

l Special dietary meal (on request upon the reservation or at least 24 hours before departure - choice from the Special Meals Catalogue)

l Blanket and pillow

l Baby cots (babies up to 1 year old)

l Noise reducing headphones

l Entertainment program that includes 12 music channels (in-seat audio) and 7 video channels (movies, documentary films, short films etc.)

l Airshow

l In-seat personal satellite telephones

l Duty free sales

Looks like old-style Barcalounger-type seats with OK biz-class pitch. Nothing to write home about. When you have to mention "coat closet" as a feature of business class, you know there isn't much to write about.

Since OA only flies as far as NY, you'll be on another carrier to CLT. In fact, you might only be on OA to a European gateway where you then take another carrier across the pond. Perhaps it will be US TATL into CLT. Impossible to tell from your posting...no flight numbers/routing.

When you have to mention "coat closet" as a feature of business class, you know there isn't much to write about.

:D

I managed to find this report (a few years old but it looks about right) with some better pictures. Looks pretty mediocre for a business class seat...I hope the OP isn't travelling far!

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/76863/

Since OA only flies as far as NY, you'll be on another carrier to CLT. In fact, you might only be on OA to a European gateway where you then take another carrier across the pond. Perhaps it will be US TATL into CLT. Impossible to tell from your posting...no flight numbers/routing.

I was surprised when the OP said they were flying to CLT too but some airlines do have bizarre routes...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, it is Olympic Airlines and we are flying on Olympic, Flight 411, only as far as JFK and then on USAirways. As long as we are not in steerage, we will be happy. I was just curious as to what to expect.

We took Olympic Airlines from LHR to Athens nine years ago - so my information probably isn't all that valid anymore.

The thing that struck me about our flight that I hope has changed now: smoking was still allowed on our flight. Not a pleasant smell considering half the plane lit up after takeoff, coupled with the smells of airline food. Made for a very long three and a half hours!

• 1 month later...

Your locator should be a six character code.

If the one you have doesn'twork, I would be on the phone with Olympic (not my TA) right away. They do have a toll-free number in the USA.

Do NOT expect your TA to take the lead....be proactive yourself.

We took Olympic Airlines from LHR to Athens nine years ago - so my information probably isn't all that valid anymore.

The thing that struck me about our flight that I hope has changed now: smoking was still allowed on our flight. Not a pleasant smell considering half the plane lit up after takeoff, coupled with the smells of airline food. Made for a very long three and a half hours!

"Of course there is a smoking section on Olympic.... even the dogs in cargo are lighting up right now" was a quote from a Greek-American comedian a few years ago. They were one of the last airlines to go totally smoke free.

Archived