P&O doing Fly-Med cruises soon to attract new customers from OV?

LibraLass41

I don't believe P&O will lose its identity if it offers some flycruises,no evidence that Cunard has lost its identity.In fact it will offer more flexibility.In my opinion Oceana should either do flycruises or move out of the brand.It's not really suited to Southampton sailings, it doesn't ride the seas that well and on the day through the bay of Biscay it was all too apparent that it didn't have enough internal space.For me offering a flycruise option in the Summer would have the following main benefits:

1)No chance of dodgy weather and rough seas-this has put my daughter off Southampton sailings

2) A change of itineraries(I swop to different lines because you get fed up of the same ports) and the availability of 7 nighters.

3)Better for people who don't live near Southampton which is a bit of a pig to get to from the North.

I think P&O should trial it and see how it goes!!

You also have to bear in mind that they make more revenue onboard from sea days which may be ultimately why it doesn't happen.

I think More of Ovs passengers will be given to Ncl than P&O. Looking at the ships Ncls do look nicer than P&Os and Ncl is Family Friendly:confused: and what is wrong with Ov passengers goin to P&O LibraLass41 ? Half the people we spoke to on Ov had been with P&O and Princess.

As someone who's done all 3 (ov,ncl,po) I can say the kids were having the best time ever on the ventura slso the entertainment was very similar to that on the ov but the food was the best on NCL,drinks were also very expensive on NCL. I loved OV but got a bit sick of buffets by the end of my cruise .I say ventura was nearer OV than NCL hope this helps

I flew for a living for 16 years, so now don't want airports ever again! You can keep them!

I love arriving at Southampton and having a few days to relax before getting to the sun. We also love the longer cruises, so suits us just fine. I still work part time, but getting the time off is not a problem.

I don't believe P&O will lose its identity if it offers some flycruises,no evidence that Cunard has lost its identity.In fact it will offer more flexibility.In my opinion Oceana should either do flycruises or move out of the brand.It's not really suited to Southampton sailings, it doesn't ride the seas that well and on the day through the bay of Biscay it was all too apparent that it didn't have enough internal space.For me offering a flycruise option in the Summer would have the following main benefits:

1)No chance of dodgy weather and rough seas-this has put my daughter off Southampton sailings

2) A change of itineraries(I swop to different lines because you get fed up of the same ports) and the availability of 7 nighters.

3)Better for people who don't live near Southampton which is a bit of a pig to get to from the North.

I think P&O should trial it and see how it goes!!

You also have to bear in mind that they make more revenue onboard from sea days which may be ultimately why it doesn't happen.

The interesting fact is that there has been the investment in Southampton and with the euro the way it is P&O will not want to be supplying their ships within the EU.

Perhaps you experience with more ship built for cruising the Atlantic has given you this view of Oceana but we have found that she and her sister, Adonia performed just as well as the rest of the fleet. I have not read a great deal about her performing badly in this respect.

We live north of Newcastle and the journey has not been a barrier to us.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

No-one else has mentioned what to us is the big advantage of cruising ex-Southampton - no restrictions on luggage. We're cruising on Celebrity Solstice at the end of September, out of Rome. The best way to maximise the baggage allowance is to get a direct BA flight to Leonardo da Vinci airport, but there are only available from Heathrow.

So for us (living in Yorkshire) the fly-cruise will involve tougher travel than a Southampton cruise - drive from Sheffield to Heathrow the day before, overnight stay + car parking at a Heathrow hotel, then an early morning flight to Rome. Coming home will be even worse - we'll be arriving at Heathrow for the drive home at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon.... None of what we want to do but we've decided to do it on this occasion because we wanted to try a Solstice-class ship. If only we'd known when we booked this cruise that Eclipse will be based in Southampton! When we cruise ex-Southampton we can get from our front door to the first drink on board in about 5 hours, with no worries over bags.

You won't need to pack as many clothes on your flight to Rome. For example you wont need woolley jumpers, thick trousers and coats for 4 days like you do when you sail from Southampton.

If you fly from your regional airport you could also be enjoying a drink in 1 hour in the airport lounge! and in 5 hours enjoy a drink on board ship in sunshine rather than inside or under grey skies. :D

You won't need to pack as many clothes on your flight to Rome. For example you wont need woolley jumpers, thick trousers and coats for 4 days like you do when you sail from Southampton.

If you fly from your regional airport you could also be enjoying a drink in 1 hour in the airport lounge! and in 5 hours enjoy a drink on board ship in sunshine rather than inside or under grey skies.

Us people in the North East don't own jumpers.:confused: What are they.

Short sleeve shirts and trousers all year round:D

So I also had to buy a Jacket:D.

For us travelling south all the time it has to be warmer than home so whats the concern about sailing from Southampton.

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

For me the luggage issue isn't so much about clothes as about all the other stuff. I absolutely have to have my laptop, several comprehensive camera systems and a pair of binoculars. Then there's books - I need several, of different sorts - who knows what I will want to read when the time comes? Big fat ones, ideally hardbacks. (For the Ventura cruise I took a new Neal Stephenson book, 'Anathema', 900+ pages of goodness!)

Every cheap flight puts restriction on luggage and hand luggage, so I think at some stage Tom your going to have to look at the amount of " stuff " you take, or be prepared to pay the extra to take it.

Keep up stopgo,

Tom is talking about why he sails from Southampton .....He is not flying from anywhere:D

Dai

The interesting fact is that there has been the investment in Southampton and with the euro the way it is P&O will not want to be supplying their ships within the EU.

Perhaps you experience with more ship built for cruising the Atlantic has given you this view of Oceana but we have found that she and her sister, Adonia performed just as well as the rest of the fleet. I have not read a great deal about her performing badly in this respect.

We live north of Newcastle and the journey has not been a barrier to us.

Dai

Having sailed on the "sister" ship Sea Princess ex-Adonia and many small ships over the years,I'm used to quite a bit of movement,but most modern ships don't ride the seas that well IMHO.

I just feel that now P&O has more ships maybe it's time to offer more variety,obviously it's their decision not mine.Southampton cruises remain very popular but I know there are a lot of people who prefer calm waters only (my Daughter being one of them) and port-intensive itineraries.

Basically,I like any cruises but the most enjoyable ones I've taken in the last 5 years have been fly-cruises.Also,it's not like P&O don't do fly cruises!!!

For me the luggage issue isn't so much about clothes as about all the other stuff. I absolutely have to have my laptop, several comprehensive camera systems and a pair of binoculars. Then there's books - I need several, of different sorts - who knows what I will want to read when the time comes? Big fat ones, ideally hardbacks. (For the Ventura cruise I took a new Neal Stephenson book, 'Anathema', 900+ pages of goodness!)

Are you a single cruiser? Spend time with your dear partner, I'm sure they'll appriciate not being abandoned. Heard of Nintendo DS? 100 books on a cartridge the size of your finger nail! A netbook rather than a laptop, you could also download the latest books onto it if you prefer. Book a good cabin and they have binoculars for your personal use while aboard, Get a camera that does it all for you. Leave long lens photography to the professionals, you are on holiday, surely there is more to do on the ship than look out to sea all day?:rolleyes:

Dia B, believe me there are such things as jumpers in the NE, just maybe not in your size?:D

Are you a single cruiser? Spend time with your dear partner, I'm sure they'll appriciate not being abandoned. Heard of Nintendo DS? 100 books on a cartridge the size of your finger nail! A netbook rather than a laptop, you could also download the latest books onto it if you prefer. Book a good cabin and they have binoculars for your personal use while aboard, Get a camera that does it all for you. Leave long lens photography to the professionals, you are on holiday, surely there is more to do on the ship than look out to sea all day?:rolleyes:

Dia B, believe me there are such things as jumpers in the NE, just maybe not in your size?

Not referring to me. Jumpers are for soft Yorkshire softees

Clearly there are lots of people who like cruising ie being on a cruise ship.

Dai

I just feel that now P&O has more ships maybe it's time to offer more variety,obviously it's their decision not mine.Southampton cruises remain very popular but I know there are a lot of people who prefer calm waters only (my Daughter being one of them) and port-intensive itineraries.

Basically,I like any cruises but the most enjoyable ones I've taken in the last 5 years have been fly-cruises.Also,it's not like P&O don't do fly cruises!!!

Your posting just about sums up how we feel as well, looking at a Caribbean fly cruise on Ventura winter 2010/11, however if they continue to just offer med cruises ex Southampton we will look elsewhere. The only cruise ex Southampton we would consider would be one to the Baltics or Iceland.

• 6 months later...
Yes I do pet, because that is what they have been planning for.

The only extra is Azura. Anyway If P&O did fly cruising they would be in competition with a whole raft of companies. As they are now they are the big fish in the pond.

No I feel P&O will stick to doing what they do best. It makes sense.

Dai

Just to prove im not picking on you. You posted this on the thread about offering fly cruises to get the OV pax. Libralass had raised the point that she was unsure if P&O could fill the berths.

Archived