Excursions in Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, & Puerto Vallarta?

DudeLX

I'm not sure what to book, if to book anything at all and whether to go with Carnival or some agency. Going on the 8/16 Splendor cruise, first-time, very unsure what to do. Looking for sight-seeing/city stuff. Any suggestions? Thx in advance.

In all three of these ports we used off-ship tours booked through Johann&Sandra, they advertise at the top of these boards. You will always save a considerable amount of money by booking with the vendors....and in our experience you will get a better excursion as well. (On our six port cruise to Mexico last April we saved about $1200USD for four people....over what Holland America charged for the same tours.))

The zip line (Veranos) in PV was excellent as was the private van tour. If you do the van tour make sure you tell them you want to go to Rancho Veranos tequilla distillery....a "cottage" distillery that is interesting and entertaining.

In Mazatlan we went to Stone Island for a beach day. They have horseback riding...ATV rentals...the beach....drinks and good food.

In Cabo we always get out of town and travel north to San Jose Del Cabo for the few hours we are in port....wishing every time we had several hours more....(we plan to take a ten day land only vacvation there next spring it is that nice a town). Again you rent a private van.

Hope this helps .....have a great cruise!

and in our experience you will get a better excursion as well.

I just want to point out that a booking agency/ticket reseller, do NOT provide any of the tours themselves, they just sell the tickets so it is not true you will get a better excursion, you will get the same excursion anyone else receives. The one caveat is that when you purchase tours through the cruise ships, you may pay more but it includes a built in "insurance" that you will make the tour on time and back to the ship on time and if anything should go wrong, that they will take care of the situation. As well, many of the tours booked via the cruise ship include transportation to the tour pick-up point but when you book your tickets through an agency, you need to get your own transport to the tour office or starting point. Just a little heads up- you can decide what you feel comfortable with on booking via the ship or third party.

What are things that interest you? Beach/snorkeling/sailing or adventure type tours Canopy/zipline/ATV or art/culture or shopping.... let us know what you like and I am sure people can chime in with tours and such that they like and can recommend.

bzy1....that is just not so! In Cabo the ship shorex to the same places we went using a private vendor was on a 45 passenger bus...we travelled in a 8 passsenger van....with only four of us. The ship tour was four hours...ours was six...the cost was about half for us!

In PV on one shorex we had to walk across the street from the pier and around the corner...a five minute walk! The seven our private van site seeing picked us up at the pier in PV.

Mazatlan.... the private vendor picked us up....along with four others form the ship...at the pier.

I suppose in some cases...in some places... they may be the same...but that has not been our experience in these three ports....which are the ports the OP asked about.

I believe you (bzy1 & TCF) are talking two slightly different things. TCF is talking about the difference of booking an independent tour vs a ship tour. While bzy1 is saying that Johann & Sandra 'brokers' the independent tours. What this means is that they do not personally run the tour, they book it for you (something like a travel agent would) for one of the independent tours.

So, bottom line, I agree with both of you. Independent tours usually give you a better experience, but don't get fooled into thinking that by booking with Johann and Sandra they will be leading your tour or have direct control over the tour itself!

One of the best sightseeing tours I have ever done was with Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan. He conducted the tour himself, picked us up right at the pier and took us to all the "must-see" spots in Mazatlan. He now has quite a few different tour options. We did the City & Beach Tour which also took us to Tony's on the Beach for lunch (not included in price). We had a great lunch of shrimp and lobster with wonderful beachfront views. We are planning on going with him again in April.:D I do not believe Frank has ever returned anyone to the pier late.

I'm also booked on this cruise (3 in my party). If anyone is interested in Canopy Chico's Zipline in Puerto Vallarta, tour let me know . Currently the rate is $55 (with more people we'll get group rate discount). This includes transportation (pick up near cruise dock), ziplining, one bottle of liquor (per adult couple) tequila testing, and transportation back.

I second the vote for Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan. Google him and he will give you info on his tours. If he is booked I'm sure he will recommend someone. He also has counterparts he recommends for Cabo and PV.

Has anyone done the Cabo tour with his partner there? I have never seen a review and would like to see one. Thanks!

I'm also booked on this cruise (3 in my party). If anyone is interested in Canopy Chico's Zipline in Puerto Vallarta, tour let me know . Currently the rate is $55 (with more people we'll get group rate discount). This includes transportation (pick up near cruise dock), ziplining, one bottle of liquor (per adult couple) tequila testing, and transportation back.

My girl and I are going to be on the 8/16 Splendor cruise too, and are looking into a canopy trip. Can you post a link for Chico's that shows all the details? Thanks!

"In Cabo we always get out of town and travel north to San Jose Del Cabo for the few hours we are in port"

TCF you said you get out of town to San Jose...so what is there...i will be in Cabo in dec and looking for something a little different than the BOOZE cruise or city tour or shopping (walking around town)

THANKS!!!

Is anyone else on the Splendor 8/16/09 cruise with us?

We're a 30yr old couple and we're looking for some fun excursions to plan... namely a canopy tour and scuba diving!

Anyone else looking to book anything off-ship?

Also... does anyone have any thoughts on which port is better for scuba? Any recommendations on who to book with? Thanks!

San Jose Del Cabo is about a half hour drive north of Cabo.

We too are not much into the booze tours...San Jose is a very typical Mexican town out of the 1850's. Narrow streets, not a neon sign to be seen, huge central square surrounded by all manner of brightly coloured shops and galleries....shopping alone can take up all the time you have walking from shop to shop. It has a large artisan population and they make some wonderful products....although it is not cheap!

Our favourite restaurant is the Tropicana...a sidewalk restaurant in front of the Tropicana hotel. It's good for a couple of hours enjoying a great lunch and just people watching.

There is botanical garden called Cacti Mundo that is dedicated exclusively to thousands of cacti...well worth a stop on your way back to the ship from San Jose...it is on the "outskirts" of town.

On the way back to the ship we always stop at the Glass Factory in Cabo itself. If you have any interest in hand made glass it is well worth the stop...artisans and their apprentices will demonstrate their craft. Try to time your stop there when the big ship tours are not there....that way you have better access to the factory area.

We get a van and driver for the day...about half the cost of the same arrangements made through the ships. We let Johann&Sandra make the arrangements for us.

We have two blogs about our trips to San Jose Del Cabo at TravelPod.com.....just go to 'tomtravel'....and read both blogs....there is something about San Jose in both of them.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I'm leaving for Riveria this weekend 7/26. Looking for the best adventure excursions to do with my daughter.

I see good reviews from the canopy tours but they have them in PV and Cabo (which is better).. any particular tour operator better.

What about ATV tours, beaches, catamarans, etc.

Bottom line is I want to try to do the best that each place has. At least one canopy excursion, one beach/swim/snorkel excursion, one anything else excursion. So I'm trying to pick the best excursion (or combination) for each location.

I think PV is the best for canopy from what I'm reading.. what you guys think.. And it seems Cabo is best for anything with swimming and snorkeling..

Appreciate the help.. thanks

I second the vote for Mazatlan Frank in Mazatlan. Google him and he will give you info on his tours. If he is booked I'm sure he will recommend someone. He also has counterparts he recommends for Cabo and PV.

Which tour with Mazatlan Frank would those of you that have used him recommend. Traveling with tween...

My opinion is that PV is best for the canopy tour. There are 4 or 5 companies, but .we did Los Veranos (google for their very informative web site). There are lots of reviews on these boards that rave about Los Veranos, I don't think I've ever seen a negative report. We had the time of our life on this excursion. Book independently, the ship uses a different company, and it doesn't seem to get as high praise as Los Veranos. I believe the zip line in Cabo is over dry, desert-like terrain. The one in PV is like zipping through Jurassic Park.

Thx everyone for the replies, not sure why it didn't email me because I subscribed to be alerted of new posts. Anyway I'm still unsure what to do. We really just want to do the touristic sightseeing route, visiting sights and old towns or plazas. That kind of excursion, not looking for scuba or beach because we are doing that on another trip.

I am recommending dolphin swim preferably in Cabo. It is something I will never forget and have pictures too. Page one & four of the thumbnails: http://travel.webshots.com/album/570839147qgYuBC

2017689590040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

This facility won't sell to you independently as they are contracted thru the ship but the price was actually $2 cheaper thru Carnival then it was thru cabodolphins.com & comes with the guarantee that others mentioned where if your ship doesn't make it to port on time, you don't pay.

We have used Matzalan Frank twice and love him! He is professional and lots of fun. We did the "Full Day City Tour" on one cruise and "La Noria/Blue Agave Tequila Tour" on another cruise. We greatly enjoyed both! I recommend the City Tour first and on if you return, check out the La Noria Tour. They are both interesting and fun! Frank always takes you to "Tony's On the Beach" which is a great restaurant, right on the beach. You won't go wrong with a tour with Frank!!!

I second the recommendation for Mazatlan Frank! (his website is those words with a dash between them, .com). The City Tour is very nice. He stops at a great artisan shop, Nidart, in old town. Time and $ well spent at that shop. Watch out for the free margaritas at the next shop. More alcohol=more spending. :D

I also second doing the Los Veranos Canopy Tour! My 11-yr-old daughter and I LOVED it! The guides are awesome, there are 14 ziplines, and the restaurant (for afterwards) has great food. You will get dirty and sweaty so wear appropriate clothes. And wear shorts that are mid-thigh minimum -- you'll be walking in a harness. I would do that tour again in a heartbeat :)

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

~gigi

Thanks for all the wonderful info! We will be cruising in November and trying to decide on what to do.. In Mazatlan we are thinking about booking thru Mazatlan Tours the Kolonahe to Deer Island tour for my partner & I. But we are still looking to find something for my mom & Aunts.. My Aunt is a heavier lady that has a little trouble walk long distances & on uneven surfaces(bad knees). They love to window shop and see things made by local artists. Alot of the tours I am finding include lots of beach time, zip lines, or horses. Can someone help me out with things to do for a little more mature group of outgoing ladies. I am also going to book the Rhythms of the Nights tour for all of in in PV... and My partner & I are just thinking about just doing some close by beach time during the day in PV & in Cabo..Any Good spots you would recommend never the ports.. Thanks again for all your help & advise!

Archived