Are all Carnival ships this dangerous ???

BeachyLisa

It wasn't the teak that was slippery, but this part:

DSC_7579.JPG

That stuff's the worst! I never had a problem on the main pool decks on Glory, but walking around the aft pool where they had this surface was treacherous at best. I've almost gone down several times no matter how slow and careful I am, and it's even worse when we have plates of food from the pizzeria or grill!

Most shoes I have seen worn are flip flops, and most don't have a tread at all. I did buy a speedo pair with tread so hopefully I will be ok. But I always walk carefull around the pool, and watch those wood steps they are slick too especially after a DOD

That's it exactly.

There are some REAL crap flip flops out there, that provide little skid resistance, and actually create a hydroplane condition. I've fallen down wet slate stairs more times than I'd care to mention, as a habitual flip flop wearer in my 20's.

As we learned from the last thread regarding this same issue, make sure you buy SKID RESISANT shoes, and be careful walking around the pools when barefoot (I find that better than a bad pair of flips, but have been wearing Tevo's which work best for me).

Someone suggested non-slip surfaces. Where I work, they do the job! I mean, if you should fall on one of these surfaces, they really "do the job" on any exposed skin that makes contact with it!:eek: If I had the choice, I'll take a little bruise over the raw, bloody, "road rash"!;)

My mother-in-law slipped coming out of the hot tub on the back Lido Deck a few years back and fell on her head. They immediately rushed her to the infirmary, put 4 stitches in her, gave her some pills and sent her to her Cabin. The next day the Dr and Hotel Director personally visited her to see if she was ok...

Never charged her a cent...

And I have been on 24 cruises and YES, have slipped a couple of times and once even fell on my arse (thank goodness it has lots of padding!!) and NO, I wasn't drinking...

A few years ago my then 6 year old daughter slipped on the deck by the pool and hot tubs the very first day and broke one tooth and busted her lip.. Lots of blood but no stitches needed. The nurse in the infirmery helped me get her cleaned up and gave her ice packs.

Its funny, every 6 months when we go back to her dentist they discuss her "trip" on the ship. Luckily it was a baby tooth and has never caused her problems.

We leave on the Pride this coming Friday and one of the first things we always pack now is skid resistant water shoes or flip flops for her (and for the rest of us).

I have also witnessed several people slipping as they walked around the desks but we just have learned to walk slowly.

Karen

Agree, it can definitely get slippery out there and being careful is a must.

We did notice though that on our Imagination sailing last month, they had put those blue rubberized mats down as a sort of walking "path" around the Lido deck. They weren't in the area immediately around the pool, but more around it for people wanting to get to the Lido buffet area or who wanted to traverse the Lido without getting wet.

We also noticed they washed them every single night when they cleaned the deck so...

Might not be a bad idea to put those around more ships? I dunno...

I do know we felt we had to be ridiculously careful going up and down the stairs to get to the waterslides. The kids would get off the slide, run up the stairs wet and it was just slippery as all heck. They had that blue rubberized tracking AROUND the pool with the slides, but not on the stairs. Every time DH and I went up to use the slides, we were careful and very, very slow about it. How those kids ran up and down willy-nilly without falling was beyond me. (Now, how old did that last sentence make me sound, lol?)

G'ma....are you serious...you have done over 250 cruises??? That's unreal...wish I could go on that many.

Yeah, true.

Cruising was part of my job for over 32 years...........Hey, tough duty but somebody has to do it....:D

I busted my arse on the Sensation out of New Orleans on formal night. My son and I walked on the back deck, after it rained and I was wearing some new shoes that had a slick bottom. I wish I could have filmed myself flailing around in the air trying not to hit the ground. It went on for what seemed like an hour before I finally hit the deck. Nobody was around to see this display of gracefulness. I was laying there, in my formal, face down, my 5yo son bent down next to me, when some folks walked up. I heard, "I think she's crying" and I rolled over and was crying alright, from laughing. I took those shoes off and if I wasn't so litter conscious I woulda thrown them off the back of the boat.

When I went to the pursers desk to ask for an ice pack and told them what happened, they got on the phone, came around the desk and ninja staff appeared out of nowhere. They were all concerned and asked where, how, etc. I told them all I wanted was an ice pack that the rest was not necessary. You would have thought I just told them a crew member slapped me.

Needless to say, I did not sue, did not ask for anything but an ice pack and never wore those shoes again...even on dry land. :D

Yeah' date=' true.

Cruising was part of my job for over 32 years...........Hey, tough duty but somebody has to do it....:D[/quote']

I always thought you were just 1000 years old and did a cruise every 4 years. :p

Archived