Cruising in Antarctica

Cruzer Two

I have uploaded several travel videos to my Youtube channel that highlights our adventure cruising in Antarctica. These videos include pictures of Lemaire Channel, Paradise Harbor, Deception Island, Elephant Island and more. Click on the link below for information on viewing these videos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

The videos are filed in alphabetical order by country. Don’t miss the video of cruising thorough the very narrow Lemaire Channel – the scenery is spectacular.

Ron aka CruzerTwo aka CruzerToo

Ron,

Thank you so much for the Antarctica videos.

We will be cruising on the Infinity in January 2010. The vidoes give me a lot to look forward to.

I have a question on your photo equipment. What kind of zoom did you have on your digital camera? I am thinking of bringing my 400 mm zoom with a 2x expander on my Canon DSLR and I have to make the decision if the five pound lense is worth lugging along.

George

Ron,

Thank you so much for the Antarctica videos.

We will be cruising on the Infinity in January 2010. The vidoes give me a lot to look forward to.

I have a question on your photo equipment. What kind of zoom did you have on your digital camera? I am thinking of bringing my 400 mm zoom with a 2x expander on my Canon DSLR and I have to make the decision if the five pound lense is worth lugging along.

George

George,

Absolutely take all the magnification you have with you on your cruise. All of my pictures were taken with a Canon SD850IS with a 4X15 zoom lens. I love the size and picture quality of this little point and shoot camera, but it severely lacks the zoom necessary to get up those close pictures of the wildlife you will see on your cruise. You are in for a real treat if the weather cooperates. This is a marvelous cruise. We had absolutely perfect weather for the entire 4 days of cruising Antarctica.

Have a great cruise.

Ron

If you're going on a cruise-by, you'll want the big lens for sure; if you're going to do actual landings, you may not have as great a need for the 400.

We were on a 48-pax ship and did zodiac landings. I had my Canon 100-400 with me, but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, and when I did, it was seldom at the long end of the lens. Most of my photos from the landings were taken with a 18-200 (no expanders).

Agree with h2so4, 18 - 200 was all I needed on landings (it requires 2 lenses for me to get that range) and I rarely went as long as 200.

I could have used a 400 on board, even on a ship that went very close to the ice & wildlife. I would guess the cruise-bys remain further away.

I have been watching and enjoying your videos thankyou so much . Wonderful memories of my journey through the Beagle channel and Chilean fjords, Falkland Islands and this year at Christmas I am cruising on Marco Polo in Antarctica so I'm looking forward to seeing this stunning scenery you have captured..weather permitting!

I have been watching and enjoying your videos thankyou so much . Wonderful memories of my journey through the Beagle channel and Chilean fjords, Falkland Islands and this year at Christmas I am cruising on Marco Polo in Antarctica so I'm looking forward to seeing this stunning scenery you have captured..weather permitting!

Minya,

Thanks for your very nice comments.

As our Ice Pilot said during his plan of exploration briefing, "You don't cruise in Antarctica, you explore and your areas of exploration depend on the weather and ice conditions. We will explore wherever and whenever conditions safely permit."

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate for your wonderful adventure in Antarctica!

Ron

Archived