passport expiration dates

It is a country-by-country, carrier-by-carrier requirement. T/As find it easier to tell everyone it's six-months because it is easier than breaking it down country by country.

For example, going to Greece's website on travel permits one will find that ones passport must be valid for six-months beyond the entry date. Other countries have no such rule.

Cheers

Mark

>>>OK, I went that route. I could find nothing on 4 different cruise line sites. I also called my PVP, he has never heard of such a requirement. Still wondering where the 6 month rule came from.

Take a look at this web site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

The State Department lists all the Entry regs for all the Countries; for example, France requires a passport to be valid for three months after entry. Tiawan requires it to be valid for 6 months (or pay a $162 fee for a landing card.)

It pays to check it out be fore you go!

Aloha,

John

It is a country-by-country, carrier-by-carrier requirement. T/As find it easier to tell everyone it's six-months because it is easier than breaking it down country by country.

For example, going to Greece's website on travel permits one will find that ones passport must be valid for THREE-months beyond the entry date. Other countries have no such rule.

Cheers

Mark

Edited for error correction (three not six; DOH!)

Thanks for the link. Hard data rules.

Mark

A valid point, but since OP's cruise is RT from the same US port, the cruise lines only require a valid government picture ID (unexpired passport works) and proof of citizenship (unexpired passport works). While many of the cruise line online pages may say to check for a 6 month passport expiry, they do not require that on cruises which do not require a passport. ;)

You are still talking about what they should logically require. I agree with you on what should logically happen. Still, it makes sense to check with the cruise line to be sure some illogical application does not turn into a needless hassle.

Archived