passport expiration dates

I would assume we're good to go. I have 3 kids' whose passports expire in Aug. 2010. We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride in March/April 2010.

I once read you shouldn't " leave the country " if your passport is within 6 months of expiring. Surely for a Bahama's cruise with the passports "good" for another 4 months, we're ok.............right??

Figured an expert could put my mind at ease?

Thanks!

CQ

Told no by whome? What is the point of an expiration date if it is not solid? If its not expired- why isnt it 'good' to go? Does anyone know WHO really is the authority on this?

We will be returning home a good 4 months before they expire. Thank you for responding but Id still like to know where the official answer is, and not an assumption? Not being snobby - just trying to be thourough and not waste money.

I would assume we're good to go. I have 3 kids' whose passports expire in Aug. 2010. We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride in March/April 2010.

I once read you shouldn't " leave the country " if your passport is within 6 months of expiring. Surely for a Bahama's cruise with the passports "good" for another 4 months, we're ok.............right??

Thanks!

CQ

Check with NCL. I believe the Bahamas do not require a passport or anything else. I think the US will accept your passports even within the 6 month period.

All this assumes you have US passports.

Some carriers, for their own protection, set their own guidelines concerning passport expiration dates. A US passport which is valid, even if only for one more day, entitles a citizen to re-enter the US. However, if some unexpected delay prevented return by the expiration date, the person no longer eligible for re-entry would be a liability to the carrier.

The expert you should ask (and rely upon) is the representative of the carrier who tells you what that carrier's requirements are. You do not want to be denied boarding on sailing day because you were unaware of, or ignored, the carrier's requirements.

They are US passports and we're cruising on Carnival. Ive also "heard" not to ask the ship since they have been wrong in the past - and I was told passports were needed for the bahamas .... so confusing. I can see if they were expiring while we're away but at the price of them the WHOLE 5 years should count- not 4 yrs +. But thank you all for responding - I wrote the powers that be and will hope for a timely repsonse. When I get one I'll post it.

CQ

Told no by whome? What is the point of an expiration date if it is not solid? If its not expired- why isnt it 'good' to go? Does anyone know WHO really is the authority on this?

We will be returning home a good 4 months before they expire. Thank you for responding but Id still like to know where the official answer is, and not an assumption? Not being snobby - just trying to be thourough and not waste money.

Most foriegn countries that require a passport for entry require that it be valid for at least six months after the traveler plans to leave that country.

Most foriegn countries that require a passport for entry require that it be valid for at least six months after the traveler plans to leave that country.

A logical requirement - they do not want to be stuck with you if something happens to prevent your leaving as scheduled.

This is take from the U.S. Department of State website, so I guess they are the "whom".

If you were 16 or Older when the passport was issued, then your passport is valid for 10 Years.

If you were 15 or Younger when the passport was issued, then your passport is valid for 5 Years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the date of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

Thanks!

CQ

No brainer get them new ones. As other poster said they are good for 5 years so well worth it. You have a lot of time, I would suggest wait till end of summer to avoid any of the summer last minute rushes for people in your situation this year ;)

BTW its much easier to get them renewed before they expire then after, as then you need additional signatures and or notaries from both parents.

no brainer get them new ones. As other poster said they are good for 5 years so well worth it. You have a lot of time, i would suggest wait till end of summer to avoid any of the summer last minute rushes for people in your situation this year ;)

btw its much easier to get them renewed before they expire then after, as then you need additional signatures and or notaries from both parents.

+1.

We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride in March/April 2010.

CQ

There is no problem using a 4-month-left passport to board a RT cruise to the Bahamas. The passport is valid in the US up to and including the day of expiration. Bahamas won't care since they do not require a passport of US cruise visitors*. Airlines also won't care since any emergency flight home would be using a US passport to head to the US.

The purported 6 month 'requirement' is simply the highest common factor of all possible destination countries and transportation providers. If you are not using those particular modes of transportation and are going to countries with a less-restrictive limit, then certainly you can use a passport with less than 6 months expiry.

There are many travellers who prefer not to have to bother to keep themselves updated on current rules or any changes and, for them, keeping to a 6 month minimum expiration is the better choice; but that may not be a suitable choice for everyone else.

*http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html

There is no problem using a 4-month-left passport to board a RT cruise to the Bahamas. The passport is valid in the US up to and including the day of expiration. Bahamas won't care since they do not require a passport of US cruise visitors*. Airlines also won't care since any emergency flight home would be using a US passport to head to the US.

The purported 6 month 'requirement' is simply the highest common factor of all possible destination countries and transportation providers. If you are not using those particular modes of transportation and are going to countries with a less-restrictive limit, then certainly you can use a passport with less than 6 months expiry.

There are many travellers who prefer not to have to bother to keep themselves updated on current rules or any changes and, for them, keeping to a 6 month minimum expiration is the better choice; but that may not be a suitable choice for everyone else.

*http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_989.html

Regardless, it would be a good idea to check with the cruise line. Even though you think that there is no reason why a four-month period remaining on a passport should not be sufficient, it is the cruise line you have to satisfy when you want to board their ship. You play by their rules when you play on their ship.

too funny- I was completing on-line boarding paperwork for our Disney bahamas cruise for September last night and Noticed that DH's passport expires in April 2010.

No problem for our September 2009 cruise, but I told him he's going to have to re-file for another one before our Western caribbean cruise in Feb 2010.

thank you all for confirming my memory on the 6 month remaining for entry into some countries.

I have looked all over the Bahamas government site and US State Dept site. I can find no mention of a 6 month rule. Where did this information come from?:confused:

The Bahamas probably do not care about 6 months -- what you should focus on is the cruise line's requirements -- which will reflect the requirements of the ports -- as well as their own requirements - which might be stricter.

If my current passort expires June 2010 and I send in the renewal paperwork December 2009, would the next expiration date be 10 years after they process it (say January 2010) or 10 years after my "old" expiration date--June 2020? Thought I'd ask here first before I try to navigate the government website. :rolleyes:

If my current passort expires June 2010 and I send in the renewal paperwork December 2009, would the next expiration date be 10 years after they process it (say January 2010) or 10 years after my "old" expiration date--June 2020? Thought I'd ask here first before I try to navigate the government website. :rolleyes:

Well worth asking the question. I can't help as I am a UK citizen, but over here your new passport would be valid until 10 years after the expiry date of your old one - i.e. you don't "lose out" on 6 months of validity.

There is a limit - my wife's last passport would have run out in July 2010, but in January we had to renew it early (visiting South Africa, who demand two adjacent pages empty of all other stamps). Her new one runs from 5th Feb 2009 to 5th Nov 2019 - 2 years and nine months, so we "lost" about a year's worth.

Your new USA passport will be valid for ten years from the date the clerk in a Washington cubbyhole finishes the processing -- the date of expiration of the previous passport is not a factor.

Your new USA passport will be valid for ten years from the date the clerk in a Washington cubbyhole finishes the processing -- the date of expiration of the previous passport is not a factor.

This is correct. I just renewed mine (based on the 6 month rule) and my 10 years started with the processing date. When I renewed 10 years ago, it was dated the day after my old one expired, although I renewed that one early too.

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

This is take from the U.S. Department of State website, so I guess they are the "whom".

If you were 16 or Older when the passport was issued, then your passport is valid for 10 Years.

If you were 15 or Younger when the passport was issued, then your passport is valid for 5 Years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the date of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

So that means our passports are only good for 9+ years, not 10? :eek:

The real issue here is would you rather be right, or go on your cruise without hassle? If you get to the departure gate at the airport and are refused permission to board, or get to the check-in for your cruise, and are refused permission to board, what is "right" or "fair" won't matter at all. You will NOT win the argument!

Regardless, it would be a good idea to check with the cruise line. Even though you think that there is no reason why a four-month period remaining on a passport should not be sufficient, it is the cruise line you have to satisfy when you want to board their ship. You play by their rules when you play on their ship.
A valid point, but since OP's cruise is RT from the same US port, the cruise lines only require a valid government picture ID (unexpired passport works) and proof of citizenship (unexpired passport works). While many of the cruise line online pages may say to check for a 6 month passport expiry, they do not require that on cruises which do not require a passport. ;)

The Bahamas probably do not care about 6 months -- what you should focus on is the cruise line's requirements -- which will reflect the requirements of the ports -- as well as their own requirements - which might be stricter.

OK, I went that route. I could find nothing on 4 different cruise line sites. I also called my PVP, he has never heard of such a requirement. Still wondering where the 6 month rule came from.

Archived