Dealing with Jet Lag in Europe?

Chelly

After several horrible jet lagged trips to Europe, the worst being a cruise on the Rotterdam, sailing out of Barcelona. We arrived 2 days early and were on the go. Then on embarkation day it finally hit me like a ton of bricks. Next trip I took the advice of a friend and asked my doctor for some Ambien. I only took it for the first few nights after arrival and it really worked.....it got me in sync with local time. Then after coming home did the same. It sure worked for me. I know some take it during the flight but I've never done that. I don't ever sleep long enough on a flight, just off & on so have been concerned I end up groggy.

The method that I have used on a number of occasions works very well for me, "warning YOU may end up with a hang-over". I always try to take the plane that arrives in London Airport at about 06:30. I then meet my friend at his home in Central London where I get two to three hours sleep. After a shower, we go on a pub crawl with a couple of more friends until about 20:00 when it is time for a bottle of wine and a large meal. I get to bed at about 23:00 and sleep right through the night. When I wake up it is about 08:00 and my clock has been completely reset and I do not have any hang-over.

We don't sleep on the plane. Just stay awake: a morning arrival, check into the hotel, see some sights, have dinner, take a hot bath and go to bed around 9 which is the equivalent of 3 am depending on the time zones. Sleep till 7 am and you've got 10 hours rest and a new body clock. No drugs, no diet, it works for us everytime and we are 54 and 65. The hot bath is key. It takes out the aches and relaxes the body.

I bought jet lag pills from Magellan's and was quite skeptical about them. They worked extremely well. We left Minneapolis at 9 p.m., arrived in Barcelona at about 3-4 p.m. the next day Barcelona time, took a 30 minute nap, and it was as if we were magically on Barcelona time. It was truly amazing. So we ate dinner at 8 ish, which would have been 1 p.m. our time and it made perfect sense to be having a dinner meal at that time. I swear by these now. You chew one tiny pill 2 hours before leaving and then every so often while in flight and it's all good.

Were you able to sleep on the plane after you took the jet lag pills. I bought them, but was afraid if I took them I would never be able to fall asleep on the plane.

Thanks,

Arlene

Archived