Sudden illness, leave Saturday, cancel or reschedule?

Newbie0210

We're supposed to leave Saturday on our Alaskan cruise. My MIL has become ill and may be told she can't travel. So that would mean all 10 of us would have to cancel. We have insurance purchased through NCL. I believe that we could cancel and only end up paying the cost of the insurance. Is that right? Or do we also lose our cruise deposit?

Or....does NCL allow you to reschedule in this case with no or little change fee? It seems like that would be better than cancelling this one completely and then rebooking another one.

Any advice from anybody out there? Thanks.

She's going to another Dr on Tuesday and hopefully she can be given some medicine and won't be contagious, but I figured I'd check in with all the knowledgeable people here just in case.

Sorry to hear your news. I'm sure others who have experienced your situation will have good information about canceling. I have always thought it covered all the monies of the cruise if it is through the cruise line.

I'm really writing because I so appreciate your concern about someone ill coming aboard. For many reasons some passengers have weakened immune systems. If they get ill, the recovery is often longer than normal.....and all cabinmates are confined to the cabin as well....no dining room, no going out of your room....TV entertainment.

Hopefully the doc will be comfortable with her improvement and the next important sounds you hear are gentle ocean waves.

Blessings,

Gail

(R.N. ret)

We're supposed to leave Saturday on our Alaskan cruise. My MIL has become ill and may be told she can't travel. So that would mean all 10 of us would have to cancel. We have insurance purchased through NCL. I believe that we could cancel and only end up paying the cost of the insurance. Is that right? Or do we also lose our cruise deposit?

Or....does NCL allow you to reschedule in this case with no or little change fee? It seems like that would be better than cancelling this one completely and then rebooking another one.

Any advice from anybody out there? Thanks.

She's going to another Dr on Tuesday and hopefully she can be given some medicine and won't be contagious, but I figured I'd check in with all the knowledgeable people here just in case.

I'm sorry this has happened to your MIL and you. Really you'd need to check with your insurance company & the details of your policy. Unless you bought "cancel for any reason" insurance, your MIL's illness may not count as a "covered" reason for everyone traveling. I urge you to consult with your insurance carrier first then go from there.

I don't want to speak for what NCL may or may not do.

I can't say for sure, but the insurance may only cover your mother in law and whomever she is sharing a cabin with... the insurance company may say that her illness doesn't affect anyone else's ability to travel - and technically, they'd be right.

Have you discussed this with your mother in law? If it was I who was sick and I was told I couldn't travel, I would tell everyone else who was looking forward to the trip to go without me. It would be absolutely, completely and inarguably crappy, but I would feel worse if my being sick resulted in a group of people I cared about giving up something that they must be looking forward to so much, just so that I wouldn't have to 'suffer alone'. I'm assuming of course that the illness in question is not life-threatening, in which case I can understand wanting to stay with the person.

Hopefully it will all be moot and you'll find out that she's going to be fine and able to travel. :)

As to insurance, I assume you have already paid that, and it is done.

Before attempting to take advantage of the insurance, you need to FULLY understand what it would cover.

- airfare

- anything else booked

- reasons for cancelling

- proof of reason

- deductible

Personally, if I was the one sick person out of 10 and everyone else cancelled, I would feel even worse. No idea how your MIL would feel.

NCL, like most cruise lines are not that forgiving. After all, they would sail with a number of cabins empty. And 10 people not spending money on extras, etc. Airlines are even worse.

Just passing on some facts. I hope she is better soon.

My feeling is that your mother-in-law does not want 10 of her nearest and dearest to miss their cruise to Alaska. This may be a non-issue. You should talk to MIL immediately to get her input and also call the insurance company to discuss candidly. Report back here!!

Newbie, I admire people like you. Good luck with what you find out given the advice so far and with your decision. I will say a prayer it all works out for your mother-in-law. May you all go.

coka

Hopefully, she'll get on the antibotics tomorrow, and be feeling great, and will have passed the contagious stage by Thursday/Friday and you all will have a great trip! :)

I agree with the others, that probably insurance will only cover your MIL and not the rest of your group. If there was a death in the family and you were all related, that might be the only reason insurance would kick in for all... Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for their concern and comments. The whole trip is for my in-laws 50th anniv, so it kind of defeats the purpose if the in-laws aren't there. They also paid for the whole thing, so the rest of would feel pretty crummy going without them. That's why I'm wondering if we could reschedule through NCL rather than cancel altogether.

She's got a skin infection but we don't know what kind so we don't know if it's contagious or not. When she came back from the Dr office today she was crying because she was ruining everyone's trip. So I'm pretty sure that was an indication she wouldn't want us all missing it. But we told her to wait to see what the Dr says tomorrow.

Our insurance policy reads "in the event you, a travel companion or immediate family member suffers an illness" and the definition of Immediate family member covers all 10 of us.

From the responses so far, it seems that we would only be out the cost of insurance. But I'm still wondering if anyone has had this experience and was able to reschedule versus cancel and rebook.

Newbie, how's your DMIL today? I so feel for you guys! We were going with my inlaws on the Pride of America from San Francisco to Hawaii 5 years ago when she was on her way to Hawaii for the first time. We chose that cruise since my inlaws were in pretty bad shape for regular travel. My DFIN fell two weeks before the cruise. We too had to figure out whether to go or not. We were paying our own way, so that made a bit of difference in our decision to go ahead and go. It turned out to be the roughest cruise we've ever done so we were especially glad Dad and Mom cancelled! We would have really worried about them getting around without falling! Sometimes things happen for a reason and we just have to go with the flow!:o

NCL was wonderful about refunding them. They even sincerely told us how sorry they were and hoped he'd make a full recovery. Money returned in a matter of weeks.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it all turns out for the best!

Let us know!:cool:

You all are so kind to be checking in and asking how things are. I'm a relative newbie, but you all make me feel so welcome. Thanks!!

And great news...Alaska here we come!!!!

FIL just called, they are leaving the Dr office. No infection involved, it's something else, medicine will treat it, it's not contagious at all. So we're good to go!!!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on the cancel issue. I'm glad to know I jumped the gun and was doing what I told my MIL not to do...worrying before we knew for sure!

I think we'll all have an even more special time now knowing how close we were to not getting to go.

You all are so kind to be checking in and asking how things are. I'm a relative newbie, but you all make me feel so welcome. Thanks!!

FIL just called, they are leaving the Dr office. No infection involved, it's something else, medicine will treat it, it's not contagious at all. So we're good to go!!!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on the cancel issue. I'm glad to know I jumped the gun and was doing what I told my MIL not to do...worrying before we knew for sure!

I think we'll all have an even more special time now knowing how close we were to not getting to go.

I am so glad it worked out for all of you especially your MIL. You guys will have a great family cruise! Happy Anniversary to your in-laws!:)

Outstanding! I hope you all have a great cruise

That is great news! Have a great time!

Nothing wrong with jumping the gun and being pro-active. Glad it all worked out for you. Have a great cruise.

How wonderful!! I agree, there's nothing wrong with being proactive and prepared - but I'm very happy to know that it was unecessary!!

Just think how much more you'll all appreciate your cruise now!! I'm sure you would have before, also, but there's nothing like a little 'scare' to remind us to be thankful for what we've got!! :)

CONGATULATIONS!!! So glad to hear the GREAT news!! Now all of you can relax and enjoy your family / Anniversary cruise!!

We just booked a last minute cruise to Bermuda with my in laws. Hope our cruise works out as well. They are in good health but you never know, even my husband or myself might get sick. :eek: :o But we won't even think about that!! :o

God Bless and have a once in a lifetime experience!

I'm sorry this has happened to your MIL and you. Really you'd need to check with your insurance company & the details of your policy. Unless you bought "cancel for any reason" insurance, your MIL's illness may not count as a "covered" reason for everyone traveling. I urge you to consult with your insurance carrier first then go from there.

I don't want to speak for what NCL may or may not do.

you are right about checking to make sure, but my experience and I have only had this happen twice while an agent, normally if one person in the party (all family members I hope) can not travel it is possible to cancel and get a complete refund, minus the cost of the insurance. This may depend on the type of illness as well. OP, please contact your travel agent or NCL asap. None of us can give you a cut and dry answer.

Nita

So glad you MIL will be getting better and able to go on your cruise. Enjoy your trip...and make great family memories.

We've actually had the exact issue. A few years ago, my FIL was put in the hospital two days before we were to leave on a family cruise celebrating their 50th anniversary...17 of us. He absolutely refused for any of us to cancel. My MIL stayed with him, of course, and we called daily to check on him. It was hard for us to leave him, but that's what he wanted and he so enjoyed the stories and pictures we brought back. Unfortunately, that hospital stay found cancer and we lost him about six weeks later.

So glad you MIL will be getting better and able to go on your cruise. Enjoy your trip...and make great family memories.

We've actually had the exact issue. A few years ago, my FIL was put in the hospital two days before we were to leave on a family cruise celebrating their 50th anniversary...17 of us. He absolutely refused for any of us to cancel. My MIL stayed with him, of course, and we called daily to check on him. It was hard for us to leave him, but that's what he wanted and he so enjoyed the stories and pictures we brought back. Unfortunately, that hospital stay found cancer and we lost him about six weeks later.

Thanks for sharing your story. How great that the rest of you were able to enjoy the cruise and cheer your FIL up with stories and pictures before he passed on.

I know we are fortunate that our situation has turned out to not be a situation at all. Although we still have a few more days to go, I hope I'm not jinxing us!

Archived