Rome by Train?

fox_crusier

Hi,

We're looking at going to Rome using the Train from Civitavecchia. While on the tranitialia web site I noticed that there are fast trains that cost a bit more, but will get you to Rome in 45 mins. Was wondering if anyone has tried these?

As this is our first Rome trip, I was wondering if the train network is reliable? Has anyone heard of major delays using the train?

Also, what would you recommend as arrival time at the ship. Our ship leaves at 7pm, we where planning to catch a train that would leave us back at Civitavecchia train startion at 4.30 pm. Does this sound ok or too close for comfort?

We've used the regional train between Civitavecchia and Rome on our med cruises, but not the faster ones as the scheduling didn't work well for us (we would have had to wait longer for the faster train, eliminating any time savings overall).

The trains that we used were on time departing ... one was 10 minutes late getting into the arrival station.

Our ship was departing at 7 p.m. on our port day ... we left Rome at 4:40 and were back in Civitavecchia at 6. That might be cutting it a bit close for some, but I think getting back to Civitavecchia at 4:30 is a bit early & cuts into your day in Rome a bit too much. If there is a train that gets back at 5:30, I think you would be fine.

Hi,

We're looking at going to Rome using the Train from Civitavecchia. While on the tranitialia web site I noticed that there are fast trains that cost a bit more, but will get you to Rome in 45 mins. Was wondering if anyone has tried these?

Yes, we have taken these. If 15-25 minutes is worth the exra €, then take them if they are available.

As this is our first Rome trip, I was wondering if the train network is reliable? Has anyone heard of major delays using the train?

Train network in Italy is generally quite reliable. There may be a hiccup here and there; remember, you are in Italy. Only 2-3 hiccups in over 150+ train rides. Trains in Italy can be fun. You can meet some very interesting people.

Also, what would you recommend as arrival time at the ship. Our ship leaves at 7pm, we where planning to catch a train that would leave us back at Civitavecchia train startion at 4.30 pm. Does this sound ok or too close for comfort?

This schedule will give you plenty od time. You could probably add an hour and still have plenty of breathing time, but your safety buffer will disappear.

For those that have done the trains, can you give any information between the difference between First Class and standard - aside from seat width? Is there more room for luggage, easier to get on an off, any benefit?

We're doing Termini to Civitivecchia in November.

Thanks

For those that have done the trains, can you give any information between the difference between First Class and standard - aside from seat width? Is there more room for luggage, easier to get on an off, any benefit?

We're doing Termini to Civitivecchia in November.

Thanks

Have done both. Between Civitavecchia and Roma, save your Euros, buy a 2cl ticket. There is not much that much difference on the trains on that run. Regionale trains, which are the majority on that run, are actually easier to get on/off than the more expensive IC trains.

Luggage - put it where it fits and keep an eye on it!

Thanks all for you replys, you have definately easied my concerns about taking the train, and will save me a pile of money doing it DIY, rather than taking the 'safer' Cruise ship tours. this shows me the real benefit of this web site!! Thanks again.

Hi,

I have taken the train around Italy before, never to Civitavecchia, but I do recall those blasted improtu transportation strikes. For the most part they are better, but I would hate to deal with one on port day. So we have a van lined up to get us to the port.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

Have done both. Between Civitavecchia and Roma, save your Euros, buy a 2cl ticket. There is not much that much difference on the trains on that run. Regionale trains, which are the majority on that run, are actually easier to get on/off than the more expensive IC trains.

Luggage - put it where it fits and keep an eye on it!

Also the regional trans dead end in Civitavecchia and you have plenty of time to take your luggage off. However the express continues on and you have to be quick.

I have taken the train around Italy before, never to Civitavecchia, but I do recall those blasted improtu transportation strikes. For the most part they are better, but I would hate to deal with one on port day. So we have a van lined up to get us to the port.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

Strikes are not usually improu(Sp), they are usually announced ahead of time. Tranitialia now guarantees it trips, if there is a strike they will run a bus.

To sum it up I highly recommend the train.

Allow plenty of time. We just returned. Our train went underground and STOPPED. We were on a local train without AC and no English speaking people anywhere. Needless to say, the thought of missing the ship's departure time entered our mind. We were underground for 30 minutes and the train finally began to move. It is not an experience I would want to repeat.

Also the regional trains dead end in Civitavecchia and you have plenty of time to take your luggage off. However the express continues on and you have to be quick.

We were on a regional train that didn't terminate in Civitavecchia ... it stopped for a couple of minutes and continued on.

GSPLover talks about this in his website...scroll down on this page for info on the two types of regional trains: http://www.ftroute.com/FCO_ROM_CIV.htm

This is the site that announces the transportation strikes, http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

thank you! this is most useful.

i had seen another website where strikes were posted, but it was only in italian, and alas, i don't speak or read italian.

do you know if this website is up-to-date?

it's good to see that it seems that only airline worker strikes are coming up and no train worker strikes!

sounds like most people have had good luck w/the train. we want to see the main sites of course so can anyone give me a good idea of how smooth things are if you did rome on your own? thanks a ton.

Our DIY day went very smoothly ... we were in port from 7-7, took an 8 a.m. train to Rome, arrived at the Colosseum by 10, metro to Vatican for a noon tour, afterwards walked from St. Peter's to Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and then to Berberini metro station to take the 4:30 train back to port (arrived at 6 p.m.).

It involved quite a bit of advance planning, a good map, guidebook material, advance reservations at the Vatican, the ability to do a fair bit of walking at a quick pace (although taxis are an option), and no time for a leisurely lunch. We had to forego an inside visit to the Colosseum and saw very little of the forum, but I think had we known then to get off the train at Ostiense (instead of the Termini) and take the metro to the Colosseum from there, we could have had the extra time needed to go into the Colosseum. A lot to pack into a day, but we loved it...and a return visit for 3 days last October gave us time to do it much more leisurely and fit in additional sites.

One family on our cruise (a couple in their 30's with parents in their 50-60's) mentioned that they were disappointed in their day of doing Rome on their own via train ... they were able to get to the Vatican, but because of lack of planning and physical limitations, saw nothing else. (DH & I are mid-50's and active.)

If you enjoy DIY touring, Rome is a great city to do it in!:)

We were on a regional train that didn't terminate in Civitavecchia ... it stopped for a couple of minutes and continued on.

GSPLover talks about this in his website...scroll down on this page for info on the two types of regional trains: http://www.ftroute.com/FCO_ROM_CIV.htm

That was a great site. I have taken this trip 3 times and did not know this,

thank you! this is most useful.

i had seen another website where strikes were posted, but it was only in italian, and alas, i don't speak or read italian.

do you know if this website is up-to-date?

it's good to see that it seems that only airline worker strikes are coming up and no train worker strikes!

From the times that I have looked at it, it seems to be quite accurate (not 100% but close). The most accurate is http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/ which is, of course, in Italian. If you don't speak Italian, any knowledge of Latin, French or Spanish and you can probably figure it out in 10-15 minutes. Dates and time don't translate to other languages (except for format differences).

Don't forget there is a train stop near the Vatican. If you end your touring there you don't have waste time transporting back to the central station, you can head out to Civitavecchia from there.

Lori (who almost missed the ship on July 10th because Obama happened to meet with the Pope that day!)

From the times that I have looked at it, it seems to be quite accurate (not 100% but close). The most accurate is http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/ which is, of course, in Italian. If you don't speak Italian, any knowledge of Latin, French or Spanish and you can probably figure it out in 10-15 minutes. Dates and time don't translate to other languages (except for format differences).

ha! it doesn't help that my high school and college foreign language classes consisted of German and Japanese only! oops!

i'll go with the English website provided earlier and hope that it holds true for my upcoming trip!

thanks!

I hemmed and hawed for 3 months wether to take the train or the cruise bus to Rome. It was so easy!!!

It is all in the planning and a little good luck!

We took the first train out of the port and arrived before the crowds at St Peters Basilica. That set the tone for the whole day.

We went up the dome and then way up the circular stairs to the Cupola for some great photos. We walked down a set of stairs right into the Basilica. It was Magnificent! We walked over the bridge along the Tiber to Piazza Navona, to the Pantheon(incredible) and then we walked to the Victor Emmannual Monument. If you are facing the monument look for the stairs to the LEFT and keep climbing , go towards the cafe. You will have great views of the Colosseum and over the Forum. There are plaques telling you all about the sites in front of you. We had telephoto cameras and got wonderful pictures from this vantage point without running around Rome like crazy people.

We walked to the Trevi Fountain ,threw our coin in, window shopping as we went. Then on to the Spanish Steps where we had a leisurely al Fresco lunch. We walked to Piazza Popolo and up for the view at Pincio Park which included a view across town of St Peters. We took the metro at "Flaminio Station" back to Termini.

It is a long walk through the station as the train back to the port is at the end of the Station. Just keep walking and once you near 25,26th platform check were your train will leave from. Ours changed while we were waiting for the train. We were aiming for the 4 o'clock train but made the one earlier.

All in all it was a fabulous day with time to experience a bit of Rome. And only 9 Euros each plus lunch!!!

Karen

I hemmed and hawed for 3 months wether to take the train or the cruise bus to Rome. It was so easy!!!

It is all in the planning and a little good luck!

We took the first train out of the port and arrived before the crowds at St Peters Basilica. That set the tone for the whole day.

We went up the dome and then way up the circular stairs to the Cupola for some great photos. We walked down a set of stairs right into the Basilica. It was Magnificent! We walked over the bridge along the Tiber to Piazza Navona, to the Pantheon(incredible) and then we walked to the Victor Emmannual Monument. If you are facing the monument look for the stairs to the LEFT and keep climbing , go towards the cafe. You will have great views of the Colosseum and over the Forum. There are plaques telling you all about the sites in front of you. We had telephoto cameras and got wonderful pictures from this vantage point without running around Rome like crazy people.

We walked to the Trevi Fountain ,threw our coin in, window shopping as we went. Then on to the Spanish Steps where we had a leisurely al Fresco lunch. We walked to Piazza Popolo and up for the view at Pincio Park which included a view across town of St Peters. We took the metro at "Flaminio Station" back to Termini.

It is a long walk through the station as the train back to the port is at the end of the Station. Just keep walking and once you near 25,26th platform check were your train will leave from. Ours changed while we were waiting for the train. We were aiming for the 4 o'clock train but made the one earlier.

All in all it was a fabulous day with time to experience a bit of Rome. And only 9 Euros each plus lunch!!!

Karen

Thanks Karen. This sounds like something we might like to replicate. I like the idea of walking around and seeing a lot of things but not necessarily going into a lot of places and spending a lot of money. Where did you get off the train?

Thanks Karen. This sounds like something we might like to replicate. I like the idea of walking around and seeing a lot of things but not necessarily going into a lot of places and spending a lot of money. Where did you get off the train?

We got off at St Pietro and followed the signs and the crowds. We spent about 2 1/2 hrs at the Vatican before heading across the river. Our walk never involved backtracking or running all over. We started at one side of the city and walked across the center of Rome and took the metro home to port from the far side. Karen

Don't forget there is a train stop near the Vatican. If you end your touring there you don't have waste time transporting back to the central station, you can head out to Civitavecchia from there.

Lori (who almost missed the ship on July 10th because Obama happened to meet with the Pope that day!)

Could you provide the name of the train stop please?

Archived