Do you drive or fly to the port for your cruises?

Do you Drive or Fly to the port for your cruises?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Drive or Fly to the port for your cruises?

• I always Drive
    • I always Fly
    • I will Drive or Fly depending on the distance to the port and the price of airfare

We have done both. We flew to Houston for our Galveston cruise, but have driven to the other 2... I don't like to fly, but sometimes it just makes more sense! It is usually more pratical for us to drive to Florida, rather than fly.

We have always driven to the port. We go down the day before so we are sure to be there and not miss the boat. We only live a few hours from N.O and Mobile so it is actually cheaper for us to drive. We also like to take our time and hit some wineries on the way down :) I have know people that do both though.

My husband hates road trips, so we pretty much fly everywhere. We were excited to have the cruiseships return to Baltimore, since we are in DC, but we are probably moving soon and won't be able to take advantage of that.

We live in the midwest so flying is our only option - unless Carnival finds a way to take their ships through the Erie locks and into Lake Michigan.:D I might have to write a letter to John Heald and suggest it!

Since we live in Florida and have only cruise twice, we have driven both times. I am looking at doing an Alaskan cruise in the future, so we will have to fly for that one.:p

Driven most of the time... We live 1 hour South of Miami and 1/2 hour South of Port Everglades.

If/When we got really good rates, we flew down to San Juan for Southern Caribbean and once to California to catch the Paradise out of Long Beach...

Hurricanes aside, living in S Florida definitely has an advantage!!!

Hi,

Our first two cruises on the Carnival Spirit were out of San Diego, so we had to fly.

When airfare began to rise, we looked to cruise out of Florida. Not only because of the price of airline tickets, but because of the hassle of overweight luggage and airport security.

We have driven to Tampa twice and we find it more enjoyable. No waiting in line for TSA security, no worry about distributing the weight of luggage between all the bags, no worry about making a connection, etc.

Driving from Virginia to Florida is an enjoyable trip.

We live in the midwest so flying is our only option - unless Carnival finds a way to take their ships through the Erie locks and into Lake Michigan.:D I might have to write a letter to John Heald and suggest it!

I'm with you there.... did the drive to Florida for the first one....NEVER AGAIN..... we now fly....

We would fly for our first cruise but its over the week of Thanksgiving and air fare is out of our range for 5 of us to fly (more then it costs for the 5 of us to Cruise for a week!).

So we're looking to drive from Chicago to sunny Florida and back again. With 3 kids. Should be... fun. :)

We did most of this drive a year ago in the Spring and it worked out ok. Picked up a pair of those over the seat dvd players and the kids could watch one of the many movies they brought with. Driving long distances doesn't bother me at all. The wife... not so happy. But with the cost saves of about $1000 whatcha going to do?

rv

So far have only driven. I live half way between NOLA and Mobile. That may change next year. I am planning an Alaska cruise with at least a week on land. Still trying to decide if I want to drive or fly.

WOW, driving to Alaska, would not do it for a free cruise.

We have always driven to the port. We go down the day before so we are sure to be there and not miss the boat. We only live a few hours from N.O and Mobile so it is actually cheaper for us to drive. We also like to take our time and hit some wineries on the way down :) I have know people that do both though.

Did not know they have wineries in that area. Where are they located?

Archived