Dawn: What restaurants are worth leaving the main dining room?

dongordon

My first experience to "Freestyle Dining" is coming up this February on the Dawn.

I have always enjoyed the traditional dining atmosphere on cruise ships and have only been to one specialty restaurant on Celebrity's Millennium. It was nice, but probably not quite worth the extra $25/person.

What specialty restaurants do those of you who have been on the Dawn highly recommend?

Thanks.

Don

We thoroughly enjoyed Salsa, and it wasn't even a pay extra restaurant. Have the waiter bring you a sampler plate of the appetizers and of the hot and cold tappas so you don't have to choose. Also, while we didn't do this, we noticed that sea day afternoons, they had all you can eat sushi off the conveyer belt at Bamboo for $10. This could be a neat way to try that restaurant without missing a regular dinner.

We especially enjoyed both Salsa and LaTrottoria, both at no extra charge. Salsa, which circles the atrium has excellent ambiance with delightful music from the atrium and a beautiful stained glass ceiling. Their appetizers, soups, salad with mesquite chicken, shrimp frajitas and cranberry-pecan cake were all excellent. At LaTrottoria you should try their Make Your Own Pizza, Fruit de Mare and pasta and an outstanding dessert Zuppe Inglaisa. Enjoy.

dongordon- we are also returning to Dawn on Feb. 10th. Is that the date you will be sailing?

Well come on Mr. Dolphins join the rollcall even if its just for a post or two. I thought you had booked the 12/9 and left us behind.

dongordon

The key is to check out the menues in the main resturants and pick the night that a specilty resturant make sense. That said everyone raves about Salsa (free) but after four cruieses on the Dawn I have not made it there yet. Bistro and Cagneys are at the top of my list. If I could only eat in one it would be the Bistro.

Check out the menu. Decide what meets your expectations and make a choice. That is what freestyle is all about....choices.

My first experience to "Freestyle Dining" is coming up this February on the Dawn.

I have always enjoyed the traditional dining atmosphere on cruise ships and have only been to one specialty restaurant on Celebrity's Millennium. It was nice, but probably not quite worth the extra $25/person.

What specialty restaurants do those of you who have been on the Dawn highly recommend?

Thanks.

Don

Our top choices are LeBistro and Cagney's for the extra fee, and LaTrattoria for no additional charge. We tried Salsa for the first of 3 cruises, and were very impressed with the food and service.

We also used the ideas discussed previously regarding the daily menu in Venetion. There is seemingly always something to suite your mood in the above restaurants, but maybe not so in the others. There's always enough to get you through, but not always enough to knock your socks off. LeBistro and Cagney's also have outstanding atmosphere, great service, and great desserts. Have no fear, however, if for some reason you are not satisfied with your restaurant choice some night, pick and choose knowing you have other alternative such as the buffet, Blue Lagoon, the pub, and room service. You could also turn it into a dessert night, and stop in one or more for some special treats.

The bottom line is to do the homework if you are concerned; all the menus are available in the atrium area, either from the reservation table for the specialty options, or the front desk for the others.

Hi Dolphins,

I also grew up in Commack.

Going on the Dawn Feb.27- mar.6 . 1st time on NCL.3 times on Celebrity.Our cabin is on deck 9 near internet cafe,inside stateroom.I hope its not noisey.What drinks are free at dinner and breakfast ? Also can my dad meet us at the port inPort Canaveral to pick us up for the day ??

Thanks,Mike ....Long Island

shoreguy- I did sign up for the Feb. 10th roll call but I am afraid I am buried somewhere in the 29 pages of entries. What a chatty crew. We just got off the Dawn 12/9 and can't wait to return on Feb. 10th.

I missed you in the noise. It is not as bad as last year with 4000 posts and 40,000 views. Welcome Aboard. You can't get too much of the Dawn

Mike- Long Island- I assume you can do anything you want during your day in Port Canaveral. Not familiar with that port as I only have done Dawn's 10 and 11 day Caribbean itineraries.

As far as I know, the only free drink you can get at dinner is iced tea.

These are fun threads....let's not do anything to get them pulled.

We all have our styles. I'm a bit long winded when I post. Some are very chatty. Some post endlessly and then never show up at the CC get togethers. I, for one, very much enjoyed meeting Dolphins at our 11/28 CC mtg and many many times around the ship. On top of that his lovely wife took top honors as the ship's "Electric Slider" at the very moment he was being "named" the top "Name that Tuner". I'm still laughing from the many times they showed that on TV. They were seen sachaying around the dance floor not to mention the atrium!! A very involved couple all around and fun to have on board. So please, let's not judge one another too too harshly!:)

Mike- Long Island- I assume you can do anything you want during your day in Port Canaveral. Not familiar with that port as I only have done Dawn's 10 and 11 day Caribbean itineraries.

As far as I know, the only free drink you can get at dinner is iced tea.

water, coffee, Cappuccino etc lots of hot things are free.

Wish we were going with you again! We were on the 11/28 Dawn cruise (11 night) and, believe it or not, we only ate in one of the main dining rooms (Aqua) ONE night out of 11! We tried almost all the specialty restaurants, and there isn't one I'd recommend over another -- they were all wonderful! We went to Cagney's, LeBistro (loved the mushroom soup! and finally had my chocolate fondue!), Salsa's (we had a great time at our CC dinner -- thanks Barb!), Bamboo, La Trattoria (the fruits de mare was great!), Pearly King's Pub for the fish & chips, the buffet, Blue Lagoon (great wonton soup and chili), etc. The only one we didn't get into was the Teppanyaki bar (next time).

Some of our wait staff seemed disappointed when we didn't order dessert -- but we saved that for the java cafe!

Well, if you didn't feel the surcharge was worth it on the Millie (Olympic, I believe was the restaurant), you probably won't think it's worth it on the Dawn.

We've eaten in the Olympic as well as Le Bistro and Cagney's on the Dawn. The Olympic is a different experience...finer dining with brilliant service. Le Bistro and Cagney's were both great and we had great service, but not quite at the same level as Olympic.

I'd add another vote for the surcharge-free Salsas.

What drinks are free at dinner and breakfast ? Also can my dad meet us at the port inPort Canaveral to pick us up for the day ??

Thanks,Mike ....Long Island

Hi Mike- I'm also from Long Island- Yes, you can arrange to have someone meet you at CC- Just be sure you are back on board on time!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...it sounds like all of them are highly recommended. I think I might enjoy this "Freestyle Dining!"

I should have asked which restaurants to avoid!

Shoreguy: I think that was a good suggestion to look at the main dining room menus before booking the specialty restaurants. Are these menus posted a day in advance?

Dolphins: I am on the President's Week Cruise - February 20th.

Sorry I will miss you.

SMeyer: Is Cappuccino and Expresso free at all restaurants including the main dining rooms? That is great!!

Rondogrun: I did enjoy the Olympic, but I did not think the service and food was that much better than the main dining room which I thought was fantastic. Since you have also been on Celebrity's Millie, how would you compare the Dawn to Millie?

Don

Shoreguy: I think that was a good suggestion to look at the main dining room menus before booking the specialty restaurants. Are these menus posted a day in advance?

I'm not shoreguy but the answer is yes, the menus for the entire week are available for your perusal in the main atrium's reception area. The menus are in a binder. Just ask to see them.

Archived