Large family of 6-need advise on cruising from CA

ashasingh

Hi everyone!

I am actually not a first time cruiser but its been so long I feel like one. So here is my situation and I am hoping you all would give me some great advise!

*There will be 6 of us total going, 4 kids, me and hubby. Kids are 2, 4, 9, 12. We are thinking of going to the Mexican Rivera on the Splendor. I also was thinking about San Francisco Mexican Rivera on NCL but its 11 days...so just not sure which would be best.:confused::confused:

*I live in SF CA and I am debating on whether to take my wild and loud 2 yr old boy on a cruise at this age. The others are fine, its just him, and no I cannot leave him..he is our baby:).

*The other debate is whether I should go from SF or go to Long Beach. If we go to Long Beach then do we drive or fly (both which could be a nightmare!) I'm thinking that driving would be best because we would save some $$ and the wild one will not bother anybody with his screaming and crying, but its gonna be a looong ride, it will take us 6-7 hrs to get there vs. flying which would be 1 1/2 hrs.

*its costing us about $5000 :eek: to go with a flight, if we wait till Sept 20, it would be $1000 less.

Any thoughts from parents with 4 or more kids? I have to also book 2 rooms, adjoining of course, which is costing me more. Not sure if this is the best thing but I really liked my cruise last time (carnival glory, e.carribean) it was better than anything I had ever been on.

Hi everyone!

*I live in SF CA and I am debating on whether to take my wild and loud 2 yr old boy on a cruise at this age. The others are fine, its just him, and no I cannot leave him..he is our baby:).

I can't comment on choice of ship, but if your two-year-old is truly loud and wild and you can't control him, please don't bring him on a cruise. The rooms are not soundproof and for most people, a loud and wild child is not a welcome neighbour. You may want to consider a land-based vacation where you can go to a park or a beach for hours and he can just run and burn off all that energy.

JMHO. :)

A 2 year old, on most cruiselines, isn't old enough for the kid's club. If he's not potty-trained, he won't be allowed to use the pools...

Give it a year of so, start working on this child's temper issues, and then book a cruise!

Make sure you're getting "connecting" cabins and not adjoining. Connecting cabins have an interior door inside the two cabins, but adjoining cabins are just those next door to each other.

I would want to make this as easy as possible on me and the family.

If I lived in San Francisco I would consider a R/T cruise from there. That way you avoid a flight or a drive down to Long Beach.

With four children if I needed to get down to Long Beach I would rent a van and then drop it off in Long Beach and then pick another one up for the drive up.

Keith

I can't comment on choice of ship, but if your two-year-old is truly loud and wild and you can't control him, please don't bring him on a cruise. The rooms are not soundproof and for most people, a loud and wild child is not a welcome neighbour. You may want to consider a land-based vacation where you can go to a park or a beach for hours and he can just run and burn off all that energy.

JMHO. :)

we went to wdw last Nov and the 1st few nights were great. Then people checked in and they had a baby that cried all night til about 2-3am and then at 6am. I kid you not it was non stop like the parents did nt try comfoting the baby. A few times i felt like banging on the wall-uugh! My dd(10) even was annoyed. We probably could have moved rooms but that would mean packing everything up and moving we were there 9 nights and settled into our room. Luckily my dd has always been well behaved and if she was fussing we wouldnt attend parties or not have people put up with it. Please think of others its there vacation too

I apreciate your honesty of knowing your child so well and being open and honest about it ! Sounds like waiting a year or two to take him on a cruise would be a good idea for everyone, including yourself;) If you were to change your mind again about going now it sounds like he would be a better candidate for the 7 night vs the 11 night cruise right now.

I'm not familiar with the ports you were trying to decide between but as long as the cost wasn't prohibative I'd be choosing flying vs that long drive.

Hope when you do get to go on your cruise you have a great time!:)

Get a portable DVD player for the car ride, they are a must for every toddlers, and bring a load of movies with you (get some new ones and take them out whenever they are tired of the DVD they have). You will probably want to get 2-3 players cause all your kids would want to see their movies, they are enough cheap theses days, this would help and save a load of money by driving to the cruise port instead of flying.

We waited til our kids were all grown up and gone...more fun that way!:D:p

Seriously, though, I heard some complaints from tablemates at dinner about babies that cried/screamed at night and kept them awake.

I would wait until your son matures a little bit and can understand proper behavior on a cruise. It would also be in the best interest of your fellow passengers that you have a quiet, well behaved child on board with you. If you wait, the child can participate in the children's activity program on board.

Archived