Haven't Cruised in a While - Liberty?

TennisLover

Hi. I used to be quite a regular here on CC, but I haven't really been on since I had to cancel my 09 cruise. Still trying to be cost-conscious, but DH really wants to cruise in '10 before DD graduates from HS.

I'm pretty focused on the Liberty out of Miami for President's Week (have to cruise during school vacation), particularly since we have American Airlines vouchers from our last cancelled cruise. Here are my questions:

How is the Liberty lately? I heard from Carnival that it was dry-docked at the end of last year. We were on it in 06. What's new? What's renovated? How are people liking it? Still tons of kids on vacation weeks, right? My DD will be 17 and DS will be 14 when we cruise.

When do you think I should book? Rates are pretty good now, particularly with that early (nonrefundable) fare. Probably the sooner the better, right? Can always get price reduction or OBC. What has been people's experience with price drops during this crazy economic time (particularly on school vacation weeks)?

I know I need to spend time on the boards again to see what's changed in cruising since the economy tanked. But if anyone wants to give me a heads up on Liberty, that would be great.

Thank you. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to high, but this might be do-able!

(P.S. My alternative cruise was the Legend out of Tampa, same week, similar ports - Western Carib - but leaning against this because of limited direct flights from American and they are much more expensive. Anyone think Legend would be better than Liberty?)

Hi. I used to be quite a regular here on CC, but I haven't really been on since I had to cancel my 09 cruise. Still trying to be cost-conscious, but DH really wants to cruise in '10 before DD graduates from HS.

I'm pretty focused on the Liberty out of Miami for President's Week (have to cruise during school vacation), particularly since we have American Airlines vouchers from our last cancelled cruise. Here are my questions:

How is the Liberty lately? I heard from Carnival that it was dry-docked at the end of last year. We were on it in 06. What's new? What's renovated? How are people liking it? Still tons of kids on vacation weeks, right? My DD will be 17 and DS will be 14 when we cruise.

When do you think I should book? Rates are pretty good now, particularly with that early (nonrefundable) fare. Probably the sooner the better, right? Can always get price reduction or OBC. What has been people's experience with price drops during this crazy economic time (particularly on school vacation weeks)?

I know I need to spend time on the boards again to see what's changed in cruising since the economy tanked. But if anyone wants to give me a heads up on Liberty, that would be great.

Thank you. I'm trying not to get my hopes up to high, but this might be do-able!

(P.S. My alternative cruise was the Legend out of Tampa, same week, similar ports - Western Carib - but leaning against this because of limited direct flights from American and they are much more expensive. Anyone think Legend would be better than Liberty?)

There will be many many kids that week (dine it twice). Love the Liberty. Since you were on here they did do some minor stuff, but the only thing that I think you would notice is the addition of two luxury suites over the bridge. I would check on whether you can use you airfare credits for that week first. There maybe some blackouts. Sooner is almost always better than later in terms of pricing.

We have cruised Feb break for four straight years, starting in 2004. That's exactly when I need a break from the winter.

American has a ton of flights available -- although the prices are a bit painful. I will have DH check to see if we can use the vouchers (really straight credit from the trip we cancelled in April).

LOL, a bit painful as I recall is an understatement. Maybe better now but last year it was about 3 times the cost of the same flight mid January. It is what it is, but every time I do it, I always feel like I got screwed and vow never to pay that much again (and of course I do it again the next time) :o

Archived