Smoking aboard Silver Seas

GlobalCurious

I am planning to travel with a small group next May aboard the Silver Cloud from Rome-Venice. Being that it is a European Cruise and Cruise Line, should I be concerned about the level of smoking onboard, especially for someone with high sensitivity? I understand smoking is not allowed in any of the restaurants, but is allowed in the bars, lounges, pool area, staterooms. Can anyone tell me if they have found the cigerette or cigar smoke on board the Silver Cloud to be a problem? This will be my first voyage with SilverSea.

I am an experienced Regent cruiser, but am looking at a couple of Silversea cruises next year. The thing that has me worried also is their smoking policy. I don't want to be in a stateroom that had a heavy smoker in it the previous week or so. You can't get that smell out.

I have traveled in Europe a lot, and have be offered some hotel rooms that were pretty stinky. But they were always able to find me an alternative that was acceptable. However, this wouldn't be possible on a ship.

So would love to hear from someone who has sailed Silversea--is the smoking issue likely to be a problem?

We have sailed on 4 SS cruises and have never had a problem. Smoking is limited to specific areas. I am very sensitive to smoke and have never been able to detect whether or not there was a smoker in our suite previous to our arrival. The one thing that I don't like is that smoking is permitted on the verandas. You can get the second hand smoke if one of your neighbors (next to or below you) is smoking.

This has been discussed extensively, please search the threads. Bottom line, few people have been bothered by smoke on Silversea. My wife and I have been on many Silversea cruises, on all the ships, and have never detected smoke aroma in a suite (and our senses of smell work well). Even the Humidor room has fine ventilation, and if you wander into it when no one is using it you will probably smell nothing. SS cruisers who smoke seem to be very considerate of their fellow passengers.

Yes, we are a considerate lot up to the point that if our "neighbors" are on their veranda we do not light up. Nor do we smoke in our suite. Also, on the Shadow, the Panorama Lounge is completely non-smoking. No smoking at the pool bar, just at designated tables. No smoking at the bar in the Bar. The Bar is 1/2 and 1/2. One side you can smoke at the tables and the other side is non. Cigar and pipe smokers are usually at the fantail outside where there are tables. So, you should not have a problem unless you are a real non-smoking zealot and look for one.

On Silversea smoking is permitted on veranda's; outside the Panorama Lounge; in half of The Bar and on the starboard side of the Pool Deck.

Smoking is no longer permitted in the small lobby area outside of the Restaurant, which is a good thing since there is no ventilation.

Smoking is also permitted in the cabins but I would suggest that few smokers actually smoke in their cabins these days and prefer to smoke on their veranda instead. Booking a Vista Suite will ensure that you never have to deal with the problem of smoke drifting from a neighboring veranda.

I did smell a significant amount of smoke from one of the Owner's Suites while the cabin door was open and was being made up in the evening, but that was the only time.

Both Regency and Oceania have a far more restrictive smoking policy and very similar vessels & quality of service to Silversea. If this aspect is of great importance to you, they may be a better choice.

duct tape, either there or at the designated tables by the pool bar.

Brits, I think you will enjoy early embark. This is the 1st time, we have been able to reserve it. You may want to do it now, since space is limited and on a first come first serve basis. You are able to have a nice lunch and unpack early. Also, you won't have to stand in line for your check-in during general boarding.

BRITS ON TOUR

I disagree with Goldens4 if I understand this is your first cruise on SS.

I will never forget the excitement of boarding on our first cruise with this luxury line. Standing in line gives you the advantage of checking out all the other pax -- Staff is so experienced the line moves very quickly -- in my opinion everything about the first time experience is not to be missed.

Do early boarding next time --

Just my opinion FWIW

Dusababy

I scheduled on the shadow on Oct 3-12, 2009 LA roundtrip.

I scheduled my air through SS and I am flying from Ohio to LA on the day of the cruise.

My plane gets in at 1130 am in LA.

This is my first SS cruise and I requested early embark for the charge.

My thought was since I am arriving early and I have no place to go but the ship, I did not want to wait in the terminal for 2+ hours to board.

What do your frequent SS guests think??????

I misunderstood. I thought Brits had been on a SS previously. Then, yes, it is fun to do the general boarding and partake in the Champagne and the wonderful appetizers they put out. The shrimp are fantastic.

This is our 4th, so naturally we want something different. This will be our 1st early embark. and we are so looking forward to a change of pace.

I scheduled on the shadow on Oct 3-12, 2009 LA roundtrip.

I scheduled my air through SS and I am flying from Ohio to LA on the day of the cruise.

My plane gets in at 1130 am in LA.

This is my first SS cruise and I requested early embark for the charge.

My thought was since I am arriving early and I have no place to go but the ship, I did not want to wait in the terminal for 2+ hours to board.

What do your frequent SS guests think??????

Hi WesMarine - First of all, thank you for your service!

By the time you get your luggage at LAX and get a cab to the pier, you probably will not have all that long to wait to board the ship without paying up for early embarkation. Depending on how full the sailing is, and how quickly my SO and I can get off the Shadow that morning, they might let you on early. The only thing you will really miss by waiting to board is lunch in the dining room. The cafe on the pool deck might even still be open when you get on board, so you could get something to eat.

Sorry we'll miss you. Hope to see you on a future cruise.

Bon Voyage (and Semper Fi).

Brits On Tour, Goldens4 and duct tape, while I am not supposed to, I do have an occasional cigarette. Have also signed up for early departure. While I am staying at the Embassy Suites this time on Nov. 21st., no reason to loiter around when I can be on the Shadow. Am really disappointed that Maryln will not be hosting the Bar. My dear late wife just loved her.

Well, Charlie, I am so happy you will be on board early. And, so glad you can tolerate us folks with smoking. Maybe if you are feeling well, I can have the first dance with you. A slow one, please. Ain't as young as I used to be. :)

we are also staying at embassy suites,we get in 2 days before, to get over jet lag and do a bit of shopping if the exchange rate goes up, not to good at the moment, just signed up for early boarding, do you know if you get confirmation of this.

Well, Charlie, I am so happy you will be on board early. And, so glad you can tolerate us folks with smoking. Maybe if you are feeling well, I can have the first dance with you. A slow one, please. Ain't as young as I used to be. :)

Goldens4, I will take you up on that offer [grin]. To the Brits I might see you saturday night before the cruise. I probably won't make it to the hotel until 5:00-6:00 p.m., because we lose three hours flying east. My flight leaves Reno at 6:15 a.m.!

Hi WesMarine - First of all, thank you for your service!

By the time you get your luggage at LAX and get a cab to the pier, you probably will not have all that long to wait to board the ship without paying up for early embarkation. Depending on how full the sailing is, and how quickly my SO and I can get off the Shadow that morning, they might let you on early. The only thing you will really miss by waiting to board is lunch in the dining room. The cafe on the pool deck might even still be open when you get on board, so you could get something to eat.

Sorry we'll miss you. Hope to see you on a future cruise.

Bon Voyage (and Semper Fi).

Thanks....Semper Fi.

I opted against it, at the suggestion of my SS rep Barbi. Im traveling solo so I did not want to wait around with no one to talk to. She assures me that it will be fine and that "sometimes" they will let guests board before 3pm, but I am a skeptic when someone tells me "sometimes"

Archived