what can we take off the ship?

MnAsMom

I am thinking while we are in port we will want to bring some snacks and such along in case the kids are hungry when we are at the beach and there isn't a hotel to get food service from. Would we be ok taking apple sauce cups and goldfish crackers (would they have to be unopened snack packages or would ziploc baggies be ok?) etc. I'm pretty sure we would take some bottled water as well.

Are there limitations on what you can take with you off the ship in Mexico?

I am thinking while we are in port we will want to bring some snacks and such along in case the kids are hungry when we are at the beach and there isn't a hotel to get food service from. Would we be ok taking apple sauce cups and goldfish crackers (would they have to be unopened snack packages or would ziploc baggies be ok?) etc. I'm pretty sure we would take some bottled water as well.

Others can correct me but unless its sealed I think fruits, meats and other items are for sure prohibited. I recalled that the policy on the ship is that one can't remove food from the resturants. Sealed stuff shouldn't be a problem at all. I have seen many people at the breakfast buffet taking stuff on port days and it surely wasn't for worrying about going hungry later on the boat ;) I've yet to see any extensive checks leaving the ship or entering port; YMMV. I will admit we took muffins/bagels for snacks and never had a problem

Worst case you'll be asked to discard the materials.

Hi,

Unopened snacks in their original container would be the best. Small boxes of cereal from the buffet would work as well.

Taking FRUIT off the ship would be a big No No. I think it's frown upon to take sandwiches off the ship as well. This not only applies to Mexico but to all Ports of Call.

Bottled water would be fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Hi,

Unopened snacks in their original container would be the best. Small boxes of cereal from the buffet would work as well.

Taking FRUIT off the ship would be a big No No. I think it's frown upon to take sandwiches off the ship as well. This not only applies to Mexico but to all Ports of Call.

Bottled water would be fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

I can't ever remember my bags being checked getting off the ship, only when we come back. We usually always take fruit with us from the ship and have never had any worries.

In my experience, there will usually be a notice in each bulletin that reminds passengers not to remove food from the ship. You can take unopened cereal boxes from the buffet, or bring sealed snacks, granola bars, etc. from home. I bring drink containers (like water bottles) and then fill them with tap water from the ship, since the bottled water is so expensive.

Best,

Mia

No meat or produce should be taken ashore...but "snack packs" of crackers, or cereal, chips, etc...are fine. Depending on the port, and the laws, you could be detained and fined for bringing "contraband" foodstuffs into a country! Of course you should take some water, especially in Mexico! While there, only drink from unopened cans or bottles...do NOT use the ice or eat anything that might have been washed/rinsed in the water!

Fruit is a big no-no in nearly all foreign ports. Just like the US has agricultural laws about bringing back things like that, those foreign ports have the same laws as we do.

Only factory sealed food items are OK to take off the ship. Even juice boxes are just fine.

It has to be a prepackaged, unopened snack. We always took packages of crackers, boxes of cereal (from the morning buffet), stuff like that.

If you want to take goldfish crackers, then get the individually wrapped packages. I can't imagine they would remove a package of goldfish in a ziplock baggie from a kid - but who knows. ;)

And of course, no meat and fruit.

sandytoes03 - you just got lucky darling. :D They are suppose to be keeping an eye on stuff like that at the gangway. The guy in front of me had his specialty coffee thrown away when we were trying to get off the ship.

Archived