Amsterdam - Category HH?

SailorNYC

Hello - I have been reading reviews on Cruise Critics for some time and have just now started with the message boards. Thank you for the wealth of information that is Cruise Critics!

After searching and trying to find more detailed cabin information for the Amsterdam, I have not been able to find an answer to my questions. Apologies if they have been asked already:

Has anyone ever stayed in an HH cabin on the Amsterdam? Is there anything to look out for in this category? Is there an HH cabin you would recommend?

I realize that the view is obstructed, but I'm not certain that will disturb me. For a time, I even considered an inside cabin. Do you think it would be best to reserve an HH room (I think I would enjoy being on the Lower Promenade Deck and having easy access to the great outdoors). I understand I can purchase this cabin "guarantee," but if I am then "upgraded" to an H or G cabin, wouldn't it be less desirable to be fore or aft with portholes on a lower deck (or are those cabins nice as well)?

My thoughts are that since we will not be purchasing a balcony stateroom, it does not make much difference, as we will spend most of our time outside of the room. However, I still, of course, would like to be comfortable and have a reasonably sized cabin.

Thank you again for all your help.

All my best...

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Where are you cruising? We were on the Amsterdam in HH 3384 in Alaska and were quite happy with the cabin. It had a fully obstructed view meaning our window looked out on part of the ship's outer structure but we had daylight and you could see a bit if you look forward or aft. The quick access to the promenade deck was great for Alaska.

Here are a few cabin pictures:

2009074120102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

2530176200102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

We had an HH cat on lower promenade deck....last one in rear on port side. The week prior to sailing we were offered an upgrade to a verandah which we took. However, we did go down to see where this cabin was and its desireability. Being on the lower promenade deck is the next best thing to having a balcony. Off the back of the ship, are several tables to sit at, which would have been great if we had been in the HH cat. It also has many lounges there. View is great off the back of the ship. Obstruction is doable, as you can see diagonally from cabin windows. I would check location carefully and try to be near a door way, to make it easy to get outside onto the deck. There is a door to the aft of the ship from the inside, to the seating area. You will LOVE the Amsterdam. When and where are you going?

We are very close to booking the 2009 Panama Canal Holiday Cruise -- the full transit from LA to Ft. Lauderdale (12/23/09 - 1/6/10). We have never cruised before (well, not on what I think would be considered a traditional cruise experience or line), but I am dying to see the Panama Canal and looking forward to taking a cruise. This is a repositioning sail (or, at least, I think it is), do you know if that means there will be something different about it?

Peter, Thank you for the welcome... and thanks so much for posting the photos! What an unexpected and great help. The cabin looks quite comfortable!

And Redjoan, thank you for your thoughts! You explained precisely what I was curious about... by the way, what a phenomenal upgrade. I was not aware that it was possible to be upgraded to a balcony cabin from an outside stateroom. Had you purchased the HH as a guarantee or did you reserve your room?

I am still a little curious about what happens if you select a guarantee, but are upgraded to a cabin on a lower deck. Is this possible too?

Thank you so much for your help!

We did the reverse of this repositioning cruise last yr on the Amsterdam. We had a partially obstructed on the lower promenade deck. It was easy access to the deck which was great. For HH's 3379-3384 are all good. You must make sure you go out on this deck when the ship is at its lowest point in the lock. You will be amazed at how close you are to the wall of the lock and how giant the lock really is! I was on the bow, which they open for passenger use during canal transit, but my husband was up on the promenade deck forward and the forward deck near the fitness center for his Kodak moments while we went though the locks. Have you seen the webcams at pancanal.com? Folks at home can watch the ship go through while you are on it. Love the ship and this cruise

Yes, the G or H cabins with portholes would definitely NOT be an upgrade to me! The only time we chanced an HH guarantee we got an FF two decks down, which wasn't bad. I would suggest that you not book an HH as a guarantee but as a specific cabin number with a Do Not Upgrade qualifier. I think the mid-ship ones that catl331 mentioned and Peter (Boyjtie) was in would be best. I would also suggest the port side, as Peter had, because our DD was on the starboard side, next to those three HH, and we had a lot of kitchen noise above us night. Peter did not get noise that bothered him!

Or consider booking Main Deck G2702, G2713, or G2715. These three have regular size windows, not portholes, and are extremely convenient to getting out on a stern deck that does not have the foot traffic of the Lower Promenade. The times that I have been out on that deck I've never seen more than a couple other people at most. A semi-private deck!

I don't know how the location is for vibration or noise, as we haven't stayed in one.

I was in this cabin on the Zaandam. It definitely had vibration, the view out the window was the stairway leading up to the lower prom deck. The small deck outside our window was VERY NOISY and often had crew there. Laurie

Cat and JT - Thank you for the post and for the great suggestions! Cat, So nice to hear that you enjoyed the Panama Canal cruise.

Tinknock - It may be me, but I do not see the link in your post. Apologies for the trouble, I am looking forward to reading your review.

Thanks again!

Cat and JT - Thank you for the post and for the great suggestions! Cat, So nice to hear that you enjoyed the Panama Canal cruise.

Tinknock - It may be me, but I do not see the link in your post. Apologies for the trouble, I am looking forward to reading your review.

Thanks again!

Oops....sorry about that, here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414393&highlight=mom+her+sidekick+sean+review+zaandam+alaska

Just remembered the numbering is a little different on the Amsterdam, I will get that for you.

Oops....sorry about that, here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414393&highlight=mom+her+sidekick+sean+review+zaandam+alaska

Just remembered the numbering is a little different on the Amsterdam, I will get that for you.

Ok...here are the very best HH with views to the side on the Amsterdam....

3312, 3313, 3314, 3315, 3419, 3420, 3422, 3423.

All the others have some bad obstructions , or are handicap cabins.

Our upgrade was at a cost of $249 each. But still an awesome deal when you consider the promotion we booked our cruise with! I would definitely book a named cabin and not a gurarantee, as i would want to be on the Lower Promenade deck. And then wait and see if an upgrade is offered to you. Smile.

I would also suggest the port side, as Peter had, because our DD was on the starboard side, next to those three HH, and we had a lot of kitchen noise above us night. Peter did not get noise that bothered him!

I am a bit amazed at how much other posters remember about you. First this by John then Copper posts a picture that included the South African Navy ship I served on. :cool:

I am a bit amazed at how much other posters remember about you. First this by John then Copper posts a picture that included the South African Navy ship I served on. :cool:
So we'd all best keep our stories consistent! :D:D

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Thanks to you, we were able to book our first cruise today... with confidence. :)
Are you going to tell us what cabin you booked? Or was it a guarantee?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I didn't realize that people were still writing here. Thank you again for your help!! We chose a stateroom on the lower promenade deck on the port side - aft. On your kind recommendations, we reserved the cabin and may change to a guarantee as time goes by.

Thank you so much!! We are looking forward to the Panama Canal cruise and hope we enjoy the experience of cruising, in general. Because we are independent travelers and like to do things to our own clock (especially ME!), we have been hesitant to try it.

However, we are also both sailors and we like the idea of seeing even more of the watery part of the world. And, the world is a big place. The more I see, the less I feel (and fear) I know.

I will report back and let you know how it all goes :)

All my very, very best.

Hi! I didn't realize that people were still writing here. Thank you again for your help!! We chose a stateroom on the lower promenade deck on the port side - aft. On your kind recommendations, we reserved the cabin and may change to a guarantee as time goes by.

Thank you so much!! We are looking forward to the Panama Canal cruise and hope we enjoy the experience of cruising, in general. Because we are independent travelers and like to do things to our own clock (especially ME!), we have been hesitant to try it.

However, we are also both sailors and we like the idea of seeing even more of the watery part of the world. And, the world is a big place. The more I see, the less I feel (and fear) I know.

I will report back and let you know how it all goes :)

All my very, very best.

Have a great cruise!

Archived