Ryndam January 3 2010

Euronman

I am sailing solo on Oct 18.......

HAL has always been gay friendly in my opinion.

All I need is a gym, a good bar man, some food and sun shine. I remember sailing the Veendam....had a really goodtime;) But those happenings are not to be discussed:D

AsI am driving to Tampa......I'll write about theparking portside in case you are driving from Orlando

If you don't see a "friends of dorothy or a GLBT meet", just ask at the front office desk onboard and they will add it. As the crew and officers change, the ship never stays the same, but it should always be friendly!

The Veendam, which HAL had sailed from Tampa the last few years, had very high ratings. Sailing out of Tampa is especially nice for those of us in central Florida. There are usually plenty of sights as you cruise thru Tampa Bay and under the Skyway Bridge.

I sailed out of Tampa years ago.......on HAL's Nieu Amsterdam......cant remember the port at all.

The one thing I do remember is the early morning return when I fell out of bed.

At a very slow speed the ship listed sharply.......massive damage in gift shops as things fell through the glass partitions. Everywhere there some some sort of interior damage due to breakage. I guess it was just like what happened a few years ago on a Princess ship that made a sharp turn leaving port.

Driving to the port will be heaven...I am going to drive down there this weekend to see where the parking garage is.

Any gay dining places in St Pete/ Tampa you could recommend? I read somewhere there is a gay neighborhood down in the area...would like to check it out.

Tom

Thank you guys for the feedback...I have never been on on a cruise on my own...How is to be going solo? I have gone on RCCL, Celebrity and HAL and there were FOD meetings but in most cases, there were couples at the bar (and I was coupled too!). In the meanwhile, my first solo would be on the Mariner of the Seas out of Los Angeles on August 9...

I am a bit concern of the raised eyebrows at my dinner table at the dining room, when a single man comes along...Any experience?

I live in Orlando, so I will certainly drive to Tampa. Any feedback on parking would be great.

HAL uses a new terminal in Tampa which even has valet parking as well as a parking garage a short walk. It is next to the Aquarium, which is very nice, as well as Channelside shops. The younger crew guys like to go to Hooters there. A short streetcar ride from the terminal is Ybor City, the old cigar manufacturing area of Tampa. There you will find Streetcar Charlies, a nice restaurant with large windows overlooking the vast variety of street characters passing by, as well as a several popular bars and a new club that offers rooms, too.

Because of the single supplement, I have only cruised twice without a cabinmate. Both times were on Premier (Rembrandt, Oceanic) before 9/11 when they waved the supplement.

I would opt for "Dining as you Wish", so you are not stuck at a table where you aren't comfortable and can hopefully meet someone you would rather share a nice meal with. After all, the dining room is one of HAL's better features and should be pleasurable. Friends from England who sailed last season on the Veendam thought it was as good as the best they have been on including Cunard.

:)

Rob

• 3 months later...
I sailed out of Tampa years ago.......on HAL's Nieu Amsterdam......cant remember the port at all.

The one thing I do remember is the early morning return when I fell out of bed.

At a very slow speed the ship listed sharply.......massive damage in gift shops as things fell through the glass partitions. Everywhere there some some sort of interior damage due to breakage. I guess it was just like what happened a few years ago on a Princess ship that made a sharp turn leaving port.

Driving to the port will be heaven...I am going to drive down there this weekend to see where the parking garage is.

Any gay dining places in St Pete/ Tampa you could recommend? I read somewhere there is a gay neighborhood down in the area...would like to check it out.

Tom

I hope you had a nice time! How was the ship? Was the ship gay friendly? Did you have FOD meetings? Any specific information that a single gay cruiser should know? Best regards from Orlando....

Archived