Any itinerary you are NOT interested in?

rmmm

For me, I am glad I went when the islands were not overrun by too many passengers from too many ships and the beaches did not remind me of Coney Island on a summer weekend!!!:)

This Brooklynite will pick any Carribbean beach over Coney Island! It's not even a close contest. :D

I can't think of any itinerary that I would not want to do though an East Coast trip (NY to Florida for instace) won't be of much interest. Then again, being on a ship changes everything and it is a lot better than driving down I95.

I don't so much want to visit places that are cold.

I know, I'm such a baby!:o

Maybe when I'm older & more "mature", I'll want to pack goose down & long underwear for cruises to Northern Europe, Alaska, and the South Pole.:D

For us, the Caribbean is too hot and humid and it doesn't have historical places of interest to me. I'm also not a beach person and sail for interesting ports. We love cool weather ports. Today's high is forecast as 112.

DH and I are so happy to get away from Canadian cold and snow in the winter, the Caribbean is paradise! We love the sun, sand and surf and snorkelling! Alaska is one place I have absolutley no interest in. Too much like home in the winter!

Sorry to hear the negs about the Caribbean :( We've got 14 days planned there this winter, have never been, and are looking forward to it. Now I'm a bit concerned. I loathe crowds and "touristy" stuff.

Hmmmm, can I say "there's 'damming' with faint praise"? :D

We are doing the Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Puerto Cortes, Santo Tomas de Castillo itin -- I picked it because I was hopeful it would be less busy..... was I overly optimistic?

We've done 24 days in the Caribbean and are going back for another 10 this December - to different islands than we've been to so far. The only place we thought was tooooooo crowded was Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas), both times. But fortunately you're not going there.

Costa Maya, Belize City, and Santo Tomas were definitely not crowded. We were the only ship at the first two, and one of two at Guatemala. Check cruisett.com to see how many large ships will be with you at your stops, as that will make a big difference.

(We haven't been to Roatan or Puerto Cortes, and can't comment on those.)

I'll pass on anything that has more than one stop in Mexico. That's one reason I'm having problems with Panama Canal cruises. I would really love to go through the canal. The problem is all the itineraries have 1 or 2 stops on the eastern side but 4 or 5 along the western Mexican coast. I want the reverse.

I can't believe the number of people who don't like the Caribbean. I love the Caribbean for a relaxing trip. There's so much or little that you can do, depending on how you feel that day. I haven't been during winter so don't know how crowded it gets during peak season. Springtime or fall (if there aren't hurricanes) are really nice.

I don't so much want to visit places that are cold.

I know, I'm such a baby!:o

Maybe when I'm older & more "mature", I'll want to pack goose down & long underwear for cruises to Northern Europe, Alaska, and the South Pole.:D

Hi Usha --

Actually, we went on a Baltic cruise in June 2005, and the weather was BEAUTIFUL -- mostly sunny and warm! Give it a shot!

AG

I've had fine times in ALL those ports -- especially Sint Maarten!!

AG

I'm not saying you can't have a good time there (I like 'm all except Charlotte Amalie and its sea of humanity). I'm just saying those places are much more crowded than the ones the Cow Princess is going to!

I'm not saying you can't have a good time there (I like 'm all except Charlotte Amalie and its sea of humanity). I'm just saying those places are much more crowded than the ones the Cow Princess is going to!

I agree!! One has to find ways to avoid the crowds -- we've been pretty successful at that!

I've not personally been on Caribbean cruises operating round trip from San Juan, but based on what I've read on CC, I'd not go on one. Two reasons:

-- Usually only one sea day on seven night cruises. I like 2 or 3 of them.

-- Some noisy, unruly crowds on these sailings, due to last minute fire sales of cabins.

AG

I agree!! One has to find ways to avoid the crowds -- we've been pretty successful at that!
How do avoid crowds in St Thomas when there are 8 ships in port, with 16,000 or more passengers, packed mostly between Havensight and Charlottle Amalie?? If I ever end up there again with so many ships I think I'll just have a few beers at Crown Bay! :D

We avoid ALL cruises in the Caribbean (unless they are included as a stop on a south america or transatlantic cruise) Do not like to be hassled from the minute you step ashore till you get back on board by people trying to get your money and sell you worthless junk. There are even ports that the hawkers get nasty if you pass them by. No thanks.

Half Moon Cay is a nice relaxing place for a day stop though

Do not like to be hassled from the minute you step ashore till you get back on board by people trying to get your money and sell you worthless junk. There are even ports that the hawkers get nasty if you pass them by.
Sounds to me you are describing Acapulco. That was far worse than anything I've in the Caribbean. Between the vendors and the beggars it was like trying swat away a swarm of flies. :eek:

I've not personally been on Caribbean cruises operating round trip from San Juan, but based on what I've read on CC, I'd not go on one. Two reasons:

-- Some noisy, unruly crowds on these sailings, due to last minute fire sales of cabins.

Amen to reason #2. DW and DD sailed Carnival (many years ago ... they've learned ;)) out of San Juan and were in a cabin near a crowd that partied all night and slept all day. They were generally inconsiderate of everyone else wherever they were.

Do not like to be hassled from the minute you step ashore till you get back on board by people trying to get your money and sell you worthless junk. There are even ports that the hawkers get nasty if you pass them by.
Sounds to me you are describing Acapulco. That was far worse than anything I've in the Caribbean. Between the vendors and the beggars it was like trying swat away a swarm of flies. :eek:

Amen to reason #2. DW and DD sailed Carnival (many years ago ... they've learned ;)) out of San Juan and were in a cabin near a crowd that partied all night and slept all day. They were generally inconsiderate of everyone else wherever they were.

How do avoid crowds in St Thomas when there are 8 ships in port, with 16,000 or more passengers, packed mostly between Havensight and Charlottle Amalie?? If I ever end up there again with so many ships I think I'll just have a few beers at Crown Bay! :D

Last trip to St. Thomas was on Caribbean Princess in June 2007. Took a Princess excursion to St. John on a luxury catamaran. Included snorkeling, lunch, open bar, and took several hours. Picked us up right at the port (Crown Bay), and brought us back there. No crowds, no hassle!!

AG

Worst/most aggressive vendors you'll ever encounter:

1. Cartagena, Columbia

2. Ocho Rios, Jamaica

3. Cairo, Egypt (Giza pyramids)

Worst/most aggressive vendors you'll ever encounter:

1. Cartagena, Columbia

2. Ocho Rios, Jamaica

3. Cairo, Egypt (Giza pyramids)

Well, we haven't been to #2 or #3, but our experince in Acapulco was FAR worse than what we saw in Cartagena.

In the latter we saw maybe 8 or 10 hawkers on the slope walking up to and down from the fort, and most weren't very aggressive. In Acapulco, OTOH, right outside the ship it was a narrow gauntlet, and walking down to the market place it was pretty bad the whole way.

Hmmmm, can I say "there's 'damming' with faint praise"? :D

We are doing the Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Puerto Cortes, Santo Tomas de Castillo itin -- I picked it because I was hopeful it would be less busy..... was I overly optimistic?

I love the Caribbean for the amazing warm weather and the beautiful scenery. If only we could venture ashore without being swarmed by people who are all over you like a bad rash, trying to sell you things. We like to stroll and browse but usually end up being driven back to the ship for some relief.

That is why we like Half Moon Cay so much----all the beauty and relaxation without any hassle.

I would happily take another Caribbean Cruise but would probably not bother going ashore. Having the ship almost to yourself for a few hours has its plusses as well. No lines, lots of deck chairs etc.

I am not interested in Bermuda. I also am not all that interested in the itinerary on our upcoming Eurodam cruise mainly because we have been to each of the ports many times. I decided to try something new and really enjoy the ship as my destination so we have a retreat cabana and I plan on enjoying all of the offerings on board.

I'm not interested in ANY seven-day itinerary regardless of where it goes. My minimum is generally 14 days, and preferably longer. That's why I only do one cruise per year.

Other than that, South America or the Amazon wouldn't appeal to me. Too hot there. Neither would Anarctica ... too cold there.

But, of course, as I get older, I could feel differently and maybe will do one of those super hot or super cold itineraries someday.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What an interesting thread-kudos to whomever suggested it!!

We personally would never go back to Caracas-felt very unsafe there.

We thought the Panama Canal was boring after the first lock, and on that 14 night cruise discovered we enjoyed more time in port and less on the ship. .

Do not like the Mexican ports nearly as much as the Caribbean-much better beaches in spite of the crowds-just have to know where to go and find your own quiet spot-

We actually did not like St. Petersburg at all. Know people enjoy going there, and though we found the tourist sights interesting, we found the rest of the city sad and depresssing, and have no interest in returning.

We have many places we LOVED, but that's for another thread.

I don't want to repeat any itinerary until I've done them all. :D

We feel the same way. We love visiting new places and look for something different each time we cruise. As for what we're least interested in, that would be the Caribbean -- not that we hate it, but IMO there are so many other places I want to see first. :)

Our last choice would be a cruise along the west side of Mexico and the US. We've visited many places on the west coast of the continent... so would not prefer a cruise itinerary that visits San Fran, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta etc.

Having said that, we will one day do an Alaskan cruise... and that is the west coast. Also, the west coast of South America would be interesting. So maybe it isn't the west coast we want to avoid, but rather the west coast of the southern US and Mexico.

But...REALLY in the end, we'd just be happy to be on vacation and even more happy to be on a cruise :D

I am not real interested in going to North Korea and/or Somalia at the moment

Now that one had me laughing out loud and spitting my coffee all over the keyboard and monitor. I'm with you here, and would add Afghanistan and Iraq.

Oh that's right, Afghanistan is landlocked, and Iraq is almost landlocked, so: unless Iraq has invaded Kuwait again in the last few minutes and has more of a presence in the Persian Gulf, I won't see HAL offering cruises and shore excursions in those areas. Whew - thank the good Lord for small mercies - I won't be tempted.:D

Okay, back to the rest of the posts and thank you John for a great laugh.

Valerie:)

Archived