Settling at least one controversial topic: tipping in Chops/Portofino

Tim, You need to carry your math calculation a little further.

Let's assume that the $1.25 per person per server is correct.

How many people eat at the restaurant in one single evening? Perhaps 100? Do the math. That's $125 in tips for EACH person for an evening.

Sorry to break it down even more for you, but here it goes. If your waiter is Fred, and he serves your table of 4. Your logic is that the $5.00 (4x$1.25) is not near enough for your pleasant experience. Make sense. BUT, you forget that Fred is also getting $1.25 from every person in the dining room, all evening long.. even those he does not serve.

Do you see it now?

And Todd, I think you are really low balling it at that. Those specialty restaurants serve well over 100 people in an average evening. I bet 200 would be closer. Now we are closer to $200 for an evenings work. That is with gratuities JUST from the surcharge. Thats a pretty good $ I would say.

But hey, for those who have extra money to toss around, there are worse things you could do than give it to people who serve you I guess.

But for those that prefer NOT to over tip, rest assured that your waiters are taken care of from your surcharge. And if after all that some still argue that they are underpaid, thats RCI's issue, because they clearly state in several places that the gratuity IS INCLUDED.

How many people eat at the restaurant in one single evening? Perhaps 100? Do the math. That's $125 in tips for EACH person for an evening.

Sorry to break it down even more for you, but here it goes. If your waiter is Fred, and he serves your table of 4. Your logic is that the $5.00 (4x$1.25) is not near enough for your pleasant experience. Make sense. BUT, you forget that Fred is also getting $1.25 from every person in the dining room, all evening long.. even those he does not serve.

Do you see it now?

Very good point. I still paid extra because we had fantastic service, 100 x better than the MDR and was pleased to at last get good service and wanted them to know its noticed and appreciated.

But hey, for those who have extra money to toss around, there are worse things you could do than give it to people who serve you I guess.

But for those that prefer NOT to over tip, rest assured that your waiters are taken care of from your surcharge. And if after all that some still argue that they are underpaid, thats RCI's issue, because they clearly state in several places that the gratuity IS INCLUDED.

Thanks for adding that. I was implying this, but you said it very well.

...And if after all that some still argue that they are underpaid, thats RCI's issue, because they clearly state in several places that the gratuity IS INCLUDED.

Thank you for that.

I do not make it my business to find out how much the servers make because, obviously, IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS!!! I have never understood the obsession with how much they make.

that they took the job, that they keep the job, this tells me that whatever arrangement they have with their employer is acceptable to them.

I do not make it my business to find out how much the servers make because, obviously, IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS!!! I have never understood the obsession with how much they make.

Absolutely. But many still seem to. My feeling is that is you should do what is suggested by RCI, and in doing so the people that depend on you for thier wages will be suitably compensated.

And that has been pretty well established in this thread, although it has ALWAYS been clearly stated by RCI.

I think its a tad tacky to come here, in this thread in particular, and tell us all how much 'extra' YOU gave your servers. A bit like letting everyone know how much you gave to charities last year isn't it?:cool:

Unless I am mistaken, this thread was to dispel the myth around the poor , underpaid Chops and Portofino waiters.;)

Absolutely. But many still seem to. My feeling is that is you should do what is suggested by RCI, and in doing so the people that depend on you for thier wages will be suitably compensated.

And that has been pretty well established in this thread, although it has ALWAYS been clearly stated by RCI.

I think its a tad tacky to come here, in this thread in particular, and tell us all how much 'extra' YOU gave your servers. A bit like letting everyone know how much you gave to charities last year isn't it?:cool:

Unless I am mistaken, this thread was to dispel the myth around the poor , underpaid Chops and Portofino waiters.;)

I respectually disagree with several points you made:

1) In the service professions, I think it is appropriate to know the approximate salary. While it is clearly rude to ask someone their salary and one does not need to know anybody's specific salary, when it comes to tipping (how much and if to tip) it is good to know if someone is earning next to nothing in salary, a small but not pitiful salary, a decent salary, or a high salary. I would always tip a porter at a hotel (because they do not earn much of a salary) but I generally would not tip a porter at a U.S. cruise terminal (becuase they are earning $40 to $90 an hour by their employer to perform this service). The relevance for this thread is that if the $25 surcharge all went to the servers at Chops it is doubtful I would tip more. However, knowing that only a portion of the surcharge goes to them, I tend to tip extra when I am provided with outstanding service at that venue.

2) I see no comparison to discussing how much one commonly tips at Chops to stating how much on donated to charity. The first can be helpful to people in making their own decision on what to do when they dine at a specialty restaurant, the latter has absolutely no relevance to cruising and would serve no helpful purpose.

3) I do not see the purpose of this thread as "to dispel the myth around the poor , underpaid Chops and Portofino waiters." Sadly the OP (likely without meaning to) posted information that is not true. Unfortunately this misinformation periodically is being propogated on this message board. The OP's post would imply that the entire $25 at Chops goes to the servers. This is just not true.

Again, nobody should be pressured to tip more, or feel like they need to tip more - but people need to base their individual decision on whether or not to tip more on accurate information. Please make that decision realizing that about $5 to $7.50 of the cover charge is a tip. If you feel that is sufficent, that is 100% fine. If you feel like tipping additional, that is 100% fine too. Just do not make your decision on the erroneous belief that you are already leaving a $25 tip.

1) In the service professions, I think it is appropriate to know the approximate salary. While it is clearly rude to ask someone their salary and one does not need to know anybody's specific salary, when it comes to tipping (how much and if to tip) it is good to know if someone is earning next to nothing in salary, a small but not pitiful salary, a decent salary, or a high salary. I would always tip a porter at a hotel (because they do not earn much of a salary) but I generally would not tip a porter at a U.S. cruise terminal (becuase they are earning $40 to $90 an hour by their employer to perform this service). The relevance for this thread is that if the $25 surcharge all went to the servers at Chops it is doubtful I would tip more. However, knowing that only a portion of the surcharge goes to them, I tend to tip extra when I am provided with outstanding service at that venue.

2) I see no comparison to discussing how much one commonly tips at Chops to stating how much on donated to charity. The first can be helpful to people in making their own decision on what to do when they dine at a specialty restaurant, the latter has absolutely no relevance to cruising and would serve no helpful purpose.

3) I do not see the purpose of this thread as "to dispel the myth around the poor , underpaid Chops and Portofino waiters." Sadly the OP (likely without meaning to) posted information that is not true. Unfortunately this misinformation periodically is being propogated on this message board. The OP's post would imply that the entire $25 at Chops goes to the servers. This is just not true.

Again, nobody should be pressured to tip more, or feel like they need to tip more - but people need to base their individual decision on whether or not to tip more on accurate information. Please make that decision realizing that about $5 to $7.50 of the cover charge is a tip. If you feel that is sufficent, that is 100% fine. If you feel like tipping additional, that is 100% fine too. Just do not make your decision on the erroneous belief that you are already leaving a $25 tip.

And I respectfully disagree with several of you points as well.

1)In the service professions, particularly on RCI, which is, after all, what we are discussing here, I don't believe it IS anyones business, except RCI's and the employess. RCI tells all passengers quite clearly, for anyone who wishes to read it, what the policies for gratuities are in ALL of the venues on their ships, including the specialty restaurants. Why does anyone need to know what their income is?

2) Regarding telling everyone how much you tip, well, it wasn't asked on this thread was it? So why is it so important to let everyone know that you overtipped? Tacky, especially when it wasn't asked for. This thread was about dispelling misinformation, not about how generous you are.

Your 'estimate' of what the waiters are paid is no more based on fact than the statement that the surcharge IS the gratuity.

The only KNOWN fact is that the gratuity is included in the surcharge.

And of course, you are welcome to give as much money as you wish to ANYONE on the ship. I doubt anyone will refuse it.

Do you see it now?

So, what you are saying is that $1.25 for every wait staff person is taken out of the $25 charge, or am I misreading your post?

How many wait staff are there in Chops/Portofino? 10, 12, 15? Let's assume 12, now redo your maths. That means that RCI uses $15 of the $25 for tips and only $10 for higher quality food, the expenses of operating the specialty restaurant, and for profit. Don't think so.:rolleyes:

Do you see it now?

Toddcan

Yes, I do see it and already had calculated that out. If you go into a fine dining establishment like Chops on land, there is going to be a similiar situation (or more) that the servers make a couple of hundred each night.

The one thing I think some people miss is that almost every server in Chops/Portofinos will be at your table serving you at one time or another. We were in Chops on Liberty this past May and paid particular attention to the different servers we had come to our table. There were four different servers there at one time or another that night bringing us something. They all work together as a team. If a server needs assistance, one of the other servers chip in and help.

Tim

Oh, and Gonzo, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we fundamentally agree on this whole subject.

The surcharge is NOT the gratuity, the gratuity is INCLUDED in the surcharge.

If you WANT to tip extra, have at it, but DO NOT feel you need to.

And I respectfully disagree with several of you points as well.

1)In the service professions, particularly on RCI, which is, after all, what we are discussing here, I don't believe it IS anyones business, except RCI's and the employess. RCI tells all passengers quite clearly, for anyone who wishes to read it, what the policies for gratuities are in ALL of the venues on their ships, including the specialty restaurants. Why does anyone need to know what their income is?

2) Regarding telling everyone how much you tip, well, it wasn't asked on this thread was it? So why is it so important to let everyone know that you overtipped? Tacky, especially when it wasn't asked for. This thread was about dispelling misinformation, not about how generous you are.

Your 'estimate' of what the waiters are paid is no more based on fact than the statement that the surcharge IS the gratuity.

The only KNOWN fact is that the gratuity is included in the surcharge.

And of course, you are welcome to give as much money as you wish to ANYONE on the ship. I doubt anyone will refuse it.

Fine rebuttal to the other post. I appreciate that people want to ensure people are properly compensated for their good service. But just as we follow the guidelines as to how much to tip the room steward, I also follow the guidelines that the tip is included in the cost of eating at the specialty restaurant. If someone were unfortunate enough to ask the servers what their very personal income information was and they answered as has been posted - well, I'm comfortable with them getting between $150 - $200 per night based on 100 - 200 diners per night. Sounds like about what I made as a server on land - and it was a pretty good living, as well.:) If I feel the service was above and beyond, I'll leave more - as I would with any service, without inquiring into their payscale or model.

Oh, and Gonzo, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we fundamentally agree on this whole subject.

The surcharge is NOT the gratuity, the gratuity is INCLUDED in the surcharge.

If you WANT to tip extra, have at it, but DO NOT feel you need to.

Yes, on that we agree. :)

1) In the service professions, I think it is appropriate to know the approximate salary.

very strongly disagree. the amount I tip has NOTHING to do with how much someone makes and everything to do with service rendered.

Consider 2 workers. A, who has worked in this profession for many years and has a relatively high base salary, and B, who is newer, so has the standard entry level base salary.

Assuming that both provide the same exact service (and we assume this to be "Outstanding"), your argument is that B should receive a bigger tip because B makes less money.

Sorry, nope, will never subscribe to that theory.

So, what you are saying is that $1.25 for every wait staff person is taken out of the $25 charge, or am I misreading your post?

How many wait staff are there in Chops/Portofino? 10, 12, 15? Let's assume 12, now redo your maths. That means that RCI uses $15 of the $25 for tips and only $10 for higher quality food, the expenses of operating the specialty restaurant, and for profit. Don't think so.:rolleyes:

At the time of our discussion with the servers, they told us there were six different servers in Chops on a normal basis.

Tim

Thank you for that.

that they took the job, that they keep the job, this tells me that whatever arrangement they have with their employer is acceptable to them.

I agree with this post. I DID NOT ask the servers how much they made, I asked them if they received the entire surcharge. This is when I was told no and THEY TOOK IT UPON THEMSELVES to tell me the amounts, I did not ask for them.

Should you tip extra in the speciality restaurants, IF YOU WANT TOO. I don't think it is right to have the opinion to not tip extra nor is it right to have the opinion to tip extra

It is a choice each person has to make.

Tim

very strongly disagree. the amount I tip has NOTHING to do with how much someone makes and everything to do with service rendered.

Consider 2 workers. A, who has worked in this profession for many years and has a relatively high base salary, and B, who is newer, so has the standard entry level base salary.

Assuming that both provide the same exact service (and we assume this to be "Outstanding"), your argument is that B should receive a bigger tip because B makes less money.

Sorry, nope, will never subscribe to that theory.

I am not talking about salary differences between individuals working at the same place. I am talking about across settings. If someone is being paid well by their employer to perform a service - there is no need to tip. The people serving in the role of porters at U.S. ports are unionized longshoremen and they are already being paid a range of $40 to $90 for taking your luggage from you when you arrive at the port. IMHO it is just silly to tip them (unless they do something extraordinary beyond what they are already being generously paid to do by their employer). Now porters at hotels and airports receive much lower salaries; their employer intentionally pays them a low salary because it is expected to be supplemented by tips. If I see two porters at a hotel, I do not care who has been there longer and base a tip on a guess as to how much porter A is making over porter B. I would tip everybody at the same setting the same (with the level of service they provide the only factor that would alter what I had been planning on tipping). Same at the cruise terminal; I do not care if the porter is making $40 ot $90 an hour; I am not going to tip them simply for placing my luggage on a cart and pushing it near the ship.

My motto is this...

I don't care what anyone else does unless it directly affects me. If someone doesn't tip, I don't care. If someone else tips $1000 for their meal, I don't care. If someone wears shorts to the MDR... I don't care. If someone smuggles booze, I don't care.

etc. etc. etc. I will do what I want to do, and all y'all do what you want to do. Good idea?

:D:D:D:D

If that is true, then your doctor and dentist must really love you! How much do you tip them when they provide a good service?

Whether you realize it or not (and whether you like it or not), most of the time you decide whether or not to tip someone DOES have a lot to do with their approximate salary. I presume you usually tip people who take your luggage at hotels and airports? But do you tip the person who unloads your luggage off of the airplane and places it on the conveyor belt at the terminal? Of course not. They are providing an almost identical service, but the latter have a higher salary becuase their salary is not expected to be supplemented by tips.

If that is true, then your doctor and dentist must really love you! How much do you tip them when they provide a good service?

Whether you realize it or not (and whether you like it or not), most of the time you decide whether or not to tip someone DOES have a lot to do with their approximate salary. I presume you usually tip people who take your luggage at hotels and airports? But do you tip the person who unloads your luggage off of the airplane and places it on the conveyor belt at the terminal? Of course not. They are providing an almost identical service, but the latter have a higher salary becuase their salary is not expected to be supplemented by tips.

Medical professionals are not customarily tipped where I live, nor have I ever had access to the guy unloading my luggage from the plane.

Handling luggage is far less service than being served an evening meal. Doesn't really have anything to do with what they make, it's what the service is.

Medical professionals are not customarily tipped where I live, nor have I ever had access to the guy unloading my luggage from the plane.

Handling luggage is far less service than being served an evening meal. Doesn't really have anything to do with what they make, it's what the service is.

Exactly! Medical professionals are not customarily tipped anywhere in the U.S. because they receive a salary from their employer for providing the service that is not reduced with the expectation of being subsidized by tips. Whether or not to tip someone has two factors: Whether they are receiving a full salary for providing the service (and if not) whether they provided you with good service.

I am glad you understand now that your comment: "the amount I tip has NOTHING to do with how much someone makes and everything to do with service rendered" was inaccurate. :)

See! If you feel your $40-50 TIP isn't enough, you're free to leave more, but that's a mighty hefty tip!!!! A meal for two (on land) would have to cost $200.00-$250.00 to warrant a tip like that...and don't forget...your drinks are extra and you're charged 15% on TOP of the "surcharge" in the specialty restaurants.

We've eaten in some mighty fine restaurants, and including drinks, our bill is seldom above $140 or so....

Your surcharge IS the tip!

You have posted the same wrong info at least 20000 times. Please read the website before you post. I know you don't like to spend money. That is a given, but don't tell people wrong info just so you can justify your lack of tipping etc.

The website states the charge "includes the tip" doesn't say IS the tip.

OP

What you are saying has been on here quite a while ago and Lisa was wrong. Please read the website. I am not saying the employees of the specialty restaurants aren't well paid, but I do feel it is unfair to post wrong info--no matter the source.

If anyone looks hard enough, info can be found to justify anything. As mentioned previously, if the money is the tip, why wouldn't the same quality food be served in the dining room?

I have sailed enough times on RCI to be Diamond Plus and I know what I am saying. There are some others, that post wrong info all the time and gloat over doing so. They never show up again after posting on the thread. They are worse than trolls.

Off my soapbox for now.

Archived