Seabourn Vs Regent?

SSNORWAY

We travelled with Regent last year and found it a wonderful experience in every way.

I notice on this board that many Seabourners' also travel with Regent. I wonder what you percieve as the main differences between them as it has always apeared to me that Regent are significantly cheaper with much larger suites?

As many of you seem to do both it would be interesting to know when you choose one or the other? (ie Regent for a cheaper get away and Seabourn for the more special occassion, or would it depend more on the destinations?)

We have just booked on the Odyssey and are extremely excited as it seems to tick more of our boxes than the previous yachts, however i'd be interested to hear if lovers of the previous ships feel that the newer and larger class will lose some of the special essence that they have always loved aboard Seabourn?

I ask this because we were on Regent's navigator and there seemed to be a lot of crew especially who found their bigger ships much less personal, lacking the intimate character whilst the Voyager and Mariner appear to offer more restaurant choices, facilities etc. (maybe I have answered my own question there!!)

Mark

I do think for the right dates, itinerary, and price, we all can enjoy most ships. After all, we did have a lot of fun on the Carnival Legend, knowing beforehand what to expect. I found that crew unfailingly polite and helpful. And room service had great sandwiches. I usually only take another ship with a group of friends. On Seabourn, everyone is already a friend.

I do think for the right dates, itinerary, and price, we all can enjoy most ships. After all, we did have a lot of fun on the Carnival Legend, knowing beforehand what to expect. I found that crew unfailingly polite and helpful. And room service had great sandwiches. I usually only take another ship with a group of friends. On Seabourn, everyone is already a friend.

I totally agree. I just returned from a Carnival trip with a group of family and friends and throughly enjoyed it. But I especially like the smaller ships when there are only the 2 of us traveling. That's why I am looking forward to my first Seabourne trip on the Spirit with so much anticipation. I just hope that I'm not expecting too much.

Hi

Thank you for helping with your comments. We are sailing on 1st August from Venice. I'm getting very excited now as I'm more than ready for a break.

I hope to report back to everyone that it is even better than our Regent experience last year, but that will be quite a tough call as we met some fantastic people too which made everything so special... and I can't blame Seabourn if that doesn't happen again!

Having done many Cunard trips and got annoyed because the informal nights were no less formal than the formal nights, i'm a little concerned that there may be more ties and jackets required than on Regent.

I am not saying that I belong to the jeans and shorts brigade. I like to make an effort to dress well but hate the communist style regime of making every man look the same.

Formal nights for ladies are fabulous because they can express a lot about themselves and make a statement while their partners look like they have just stepped off the Carpathia. I will have to wait and see, but do not intend wearing a tie more than once if I can help it..

Just 2 weeks now... I can't wait

Norway,

If You take a tie so will I.

I didn't see the Carpathia on your list of voyages.

See you onboard the Odyssey,I don't think you'll return to Regent.

I left it out on purpose... I was just a toddler back then.

There will no doubt be a selection of ties and dinner attire in my luggage just in case but I don't mind carrying it both ways without an airing if I can get away with it.

I am sure you are right. We met a wonderful couple on the QM2 last August, roughing it in one of the top suites who were Huge fans of Seabourn and i'm sure that we are in for a fabulous experience.

See you in Venice.

We met a wonderful couple on the QM2 last August, roughing it in one of the top suites who were Huge fans of Seabourn and i'm sure that we are in for a fabulous experience.See you in Venice.

Who was roughing it? you? or the QM2 top suite folk? ;)

Hi

Thank you for helping with your comments. We are sailing on 1st August from Venice. I'm getting very excited now as I'm more than ready for a break.

I hope to report back to everyone that it is even better than our Regent experience last year, but that will be quite a tough call as we met some fantastic people too which made everything so special... and I can't blame Seabourn if that doesn't happen again!

For one of the reaons you just mentioned, we have learned that no two cruises, even on the same cruise line, are the same. There are so many factors that can make each cruise just a little different from one another even on the same cruise line and the same ship such as the mix of ports vs. sea days, where you are sailing, the staff, and the passengers. Each can make a good deal of difference.

One thing we have learned is to focus on the cruise we are on and if on another cruise line not to focus on the other cruise line with comparisons of this is better and this is worse and this is the same. Our experience is just like each cruise is different there are differences between the cruise lines and even differences within a cruise line because of the size or type of ships.

Without getting into a comparison we have loved our cruises on two different luxury lines and for different reaasons. And yes one might excel in one area and the other in another area but we don't want them all to be the same because for us that would be boring. We are glad that there are differences.

And it's fine to have favorites too. Of course we remember that a favorite for us might not be a favorite for someone else and the reverse is true.

That's the same about a car, type of clothing, a book, a movie, a play a hotel and so forth.

Wishing you a great cruise.

Keith

Come on Tilly make your mind up :confused:

Very funny:D,what I was trying to say is that if the same cruise came up with seabourn and regent,I would ALWAYS choose seabourn over regent,BUT if an awesome itinerary came up on Regent,not available on seabourn I would sail regent!

l don't think Regent have the edge on seabourn,thats just my opinion,but I havent got anything against regent,they seem pretty good, the're just not my favourite,I had a great cruise with them,I just won't be rushin' back, unless there's something really exciting!

Very funny:D,what I was trying to say is that if the same cruise came up with seabourn and regent,I would ALWAYS choose seabourn over regent,BUT if an awesome itinerary came up on Regent,not available on seabourn I would sail regent!

l don't think Regent have the edge on seabourn,thats just my opinion,but I havent got anything against regent,they seem pretty good, the're just not my favourite,I had a great cruise with them,I just won't be rushin' back, unless there's something really exciting!

Not sure what you are trying to say ? Cruises are not often the same. What is an awesome itinerary ? Seabourn people are loyal to Seabourn.:cool:

Be careful of the splinters on the fence that you are sitting on.:D

Not sure what you are trying to say ? Cruises are not often the same. What is an awesome itinerary ? Seabourn people are loyal to Seabourn.:cool:

It means an itinery which I personally find suits my needs perfectly,however this has not happened recently and I am not about to give up cruising if Seabourn doesnt have a cruise I fancy!

Simple as that! I don't want to re-do the cruises I have been on,and thus far the other itineraries in our time frame havent suited us,there wil be one that does,but until then if it means I have to cruise with another line ,c'est la vie!

Be careful of the splinters on the fence that you are sitting on.:D

****NEWS FLASH****

Please note the fence has been sanded down by umpa lumpas and varnished to perfection to avoid the splinters to my derrier, in the anticipation of my next manoeuvre toward it!!!!!:D:D

I think the hosts on these boards should ban from this moment on any thread with the words "comparison" or "comparing" in them. Just point the OPs to the search forum where comparisons have been done ad nauseum. Unfortunately, you will always get partisans who will defend their preferred cruise line to the death and these exercises become meaningless. As Keith so ably put it, no two cruises, let alone cruise lines will be the same so enjoy each one for what it offers. Those of us who sail Seabourn know exactly what we have and there is no point in tearing down the competition. I know a lot of people will say it is helpful to have comparisons. Again I say......SEARCH FORUM!!!!

I think the hosts on these boards should ban from this moment on any thread with the words "comparison" or "comparing" in them. Just point the OPs to the search forum where comparisons have been done ad nauseum. Unfortunately, you will always get partisans who will defend their preferred cruise line to the death and these exercises become meaningless. As Keith so ably put it, no two cruises, let alone cruise lines will be the same so enjoy each one for what it offers. Those of us who sail Seabourn know exactly what we have and there is no point in tearing down the competition. I know a lot of people will say it is helpful to have comparisons. Again I say......SEARCH FORUM!!!!

I think that is a point well taken.

Nice point well put!

Experts are often bored to tears listening to amateurs, but not everyone has been lucky enough to have found their one true love when it comes to cruise lines, hence the formation of a "cruise critic" forum.

I imagine the forum owners rely on new visitors to support advertising more than the regulars and would be horrified to have people turned away with even polite snubs.

Experienced people may wish to utilize the medium solely as a means of arranging parties through roll-calls but even they want to compare the Sisters to the Odyssey.

I did a fair bit of searching first but sometimes it is hard to find the right phrase for a proper search when your options could be "compare, vs., which is better, who do you like more, etc."

When I see an irrelevant post to my needs I just don't read or contribute to it. Try to give the noobs a break or create a sticky like you did with the coupons.

I have said this on more than one forum. In the end, I have never seen much come from any of the questions posted on any of the forums who is better this line or that line or compare this line vs that line. If you ask who is better Princess or Celebrity you reach no conclusion. Even who is better Carnival or NCL. No conclusion.

I'll bet you in a few months if you ask which ship is better Odyssey or Pride, no conclusion. You will have some on this board who favors the one or more of the triplets, some who favor the new ship, and some who like both.

Now, if you ask on the Seabourn board, Seabourn vs. Regent, I suspect you will likely get more folks saying Regent. Is that answer a surprise to anyone on this board?

And, if you ask on the Regent board, Regent vs. Crystal I suspect you will likely get more folks saying Regent. Is that answer a surprise to most people.

And you can go on and on and on.

How about if we ask the question, Mercedes or BMW. We will reach no conclusion.

I know that a few years ago my wife and I were trying to determine another luxury line to sail in addition to Crystal. We ended up selecting Seabourn. We didn't post on any board compare say Seabourn. vs. Silversea, or Seabourn vs. Regent, or Regent vs. Silversea and so forth. Because in the end, we knew we would get so many answers to our question that it would be a waste of our time and everyone else posting. Rather here is what we did.

1. We read many threads on each of the cruise boards. We took what I call the 80/20 rule or the 90/10 rule which I used in business. If 80 to 90% of the people said this was an attribute about the cruise line or a con about the cruise line we accepted that as fact until we could experience it ourselves. So, by reading what people posted included any reviews we could find we made a list of the attributes and the cons for the cruise lines we were considering.

2. We went to the web site for each cruise line. There is a lot you can learn from the web sites; actualy even more today than ever before.

3. We read through the brochure for each cruise line. Yes a brochure just like to some extent the web sites is a marketing tool but it gives you a good sense of the cruise line by how they promote themselves.

4. We read through the Completed Guide to Cruising by Douglas Ward. No, we don't care about the scores that he gives to each ship. Rather we find the two or three page summary to be good plus he lists some basic facts about each cruise ship which I find helpful.

5. Finally, we wrote to a few people who we highly respect and also spoke with a few people as well. We did not ask them to compare lines. Rather we asked them to tell us what they liked best about x line. And for the same cruise line we ask them what the liked least about it. This again reinforced some of what we learned through our other research.

In the end, the only opinion that truly counts is your own. And in the end the only way you will know will be when you experience it yourself.

Finally, there have been times when I have read comments made by several people about the same cruise they were on and they have a different take. Sometimes I have been on that cruise, and after I read the comments I said to myself, "Was I really on the same cruise with everyone else?"

Now, I have found that some very pointed questions can help. Before we made the decision I asked some very specific question to those on this board but I only asked them about Seabourn. And on another board I did the same but about the other boards cruise line. So, those who post to Cruise Critic can be a big help through all they post and all those who want to learn more just need to take the time to read most of the daily posts.

Keith

Thank you Keith for taking all that time for explaining!

Even on our most recent cruise (June Pride) I spoke to several people who didn't like Seabourn for reasons I could not possibly think of. They said they would never travel with Seabourn again. I didn't even begin to defend "my" cruise line because I never could have won the battle.

Some people like this and others like that...

Marja

Archived