Folding bikes on cruise ships

kahtrav

Has anyone tried taking a bike on a cruise ship? We travel by bike/train in Europe and want to take one with us on a cruise to use in port (New England/Canada). I'm asking the cruise line, but thought I'd see if there was any experience out there.

Has anyone tried taking a bike on a cruise ship? We travel by bike/train in Europe and want to take one with us on a cruise to use in port (New England/Canada). I'm asking the cruise line, but thought I'd see if there was any experience out there.

A poster on another thread has reported that Carnival will not accept bicycles, even the fold-up kind, on their ships.

You might wat to check the distance from the port to the sights you want to see. Sometimes there is a significant distance from the port to the city.

If your cruise line allows your bikes, remember they will be in your cabin for the duration of the cruise.

Definitely ask your cruise line. Some cruiselines do this without problems. We cruised for 4 months once on RSSC Voyager with a couple that brought a pair of regular bicycles with them. They were stored for them somewhere on the ship and when they wanted them at any port they just arranged in advance to have them delivered to the gangway and left them there when they got back to the ship. We only wished we had thought of it! Debbie

You'll want to check with the particular cruise line. This is Carnival's policy:

"Safety Concerns: Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board nor are permitted on board:

Bicycles

Surfboards

Scooters (unless medically necessary)

Boats/Canoes

Scuba Tanks (empty or full)"

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

Archived