Alaska Cruise with a Toddler - carseat? tips?

paryea

I'm doing the 14 night RT to Alaska from Vancouver on the HAL Statendam on Aug 30 with my DH and our 1+ year old son. We're flying in the day before and plan on using hotel shuttle buses and the Airporter bus to get around.

During the cruise we will probably mostly explore on our own, take the shuttle to the glacier in Juneau, etc. I figure if we do decide to do any excursions through the cruise ship they will have big tour buses.

My first question is whether people recommend we take a car seat with us or not? I don't think we'll need one for most of the things, but I started thinking that we might want one if we decide to rent a car or take a tour booked directly with a smaller operator. Has anyone else done an Alaska cruise with "car seat" age children?

My second question is just a request for tips from anyone who has done an Alaska cruise with a toddler.

Thanks!

On buses, there are no seatbelts, so a carseat won't help a bit. I wouldn't bother. And, because I'm of an age where "carseats" didn't exist, I'd risk it, if I wasn't absolutely positive that I'd need it!

On buses, there are no seatbelts, so a carseat won't help a bit. I wouldn't bother. And, because I'm of an age where "carseats" didn't exist, I'd risk it, if I wasn't absolutely positive that I'd need it!

hmmmm...never my recommendation...Safety always first....but then I am a safe minded person.

Yes, I, too, grew up without seatbelts. We also grew up when the media was not reporting accidents like they do today, so we weren't aware of the dangers unless we were affected directly. Maybe you weren't aware, but many children were severely injured in our day because of the lack of carseats and seatbelts.

At one point we were told my then one-year old grandson might need a heart transplant (fortunately he did not). We were also told that due to car seats, there were less available child organs for donations. In the days of no seatbelts, it was easier to find donors.

Some buses do now have seatbelts, so this is something one would have to contact the vendor about.

We have done 2 Alaska trips with a little one. The first time she was 14 months old, the second she had just turned 2. We did not take a car seat either time, but knew from the start that we would not be renting a car or taking cabs. We took her on the White Pass Railway the first time we did Skagway and we walked to the lake (with her in a back carrier) and visited the playground the second time we did it. In Juneau, the first time I did the glacier/helicopter thing while hubby checked out two playgrounds with the little one. Second time in Juneau we took the shuttle bus to Mendenhall and also did the kids room in the library. In Ketchikan we walked around Creek Street, took the funicular and walked the married men's trail. Hubby did the Misty Fjords floatplane while I hung with the little one. In Seward we went to the Sealife Centre. In Sitka we walked around and just hung out. In Kodiak we did a couple of the smaller museums and lots of walking on the water's edge. In Whittier we spent a lot of time visiting the reindeer and walking along the seawall! Both trips worked out great - mainly because we had wonderful weather and an active child that likes to walk and be outside! Be prepared for not being able to do all the adult things you would do without a child (often means sacrificing shore excursions - not sure how old your child is, but I wouldn't take mine on long bus journeys).

We are going to the Mexican Riviera in September and WILL take a car seat as we are planning on taking cabs in LA. As long as you plan ahead and know that you won't be taking any private vehicles, I wouldn't bother taking one. Have fun!

Thanks for the break down of what you did Ceilidh1! My son will be 15 months when we go so he's of a very similar age. We had already decided not to do any of the long shore excursions - a 8 hour bus ride with a toddler doesn't sound fun to us either- and I don't mind skipping the other "adult" things. How did your little one do on the White Pass Railway? That's one of the few things I'm still trying to decide if we should do.

I like the idea of checking out playgrounds and kids room at the library; I hadn't even thought of that.

Your post was very helpful. Thank you.

My daughter was fine on the White Pass train. We only did the 3 hour - you go up, turn around and come back so don't actually get off the train. I know there is also a longer one. We took the baby backpack and she actually fell asleep shortly after boarding. She slept for at least the first hour! When she woke we took it in turns to walk down to the open viewing car with her - she was in the backpack and loved seeing the scenery go by. That way, one of us always had the camera and were able to photograph th journey! We also took lots of little snacks to keep her busy with. The joy of a train is the ability to walk around, and it worked just fine for us!

If you are doing an Alaska cruise you might want to check out this website. Tells you rules about traveling with toddlers and their requirements for seats.

http://dot.alaska.gov/stwdplng/hwysafety/occupant.shtml

But if you arent planning on getting in a vehicle you should be ok. If you are flying in to your port you might also want to check the airline policy on how your child is secured while flying. They may require a seat depending on their age/size/height

Archived