Getting to Civitavecchia from Termini

cruisingrus

I read that the Termini metro station is very large and complex. How easy is it to find the Civitavecchia train from the Termini metro station? Is English spoken there if you need to get directions to find the train? If anyone can give me details to get to the trains back to port, I would greatly appreciate it.

Speaking Italian is not necessary to find the train. Simply look for your train on the large information board located in the center of the main waiting room (near the main Termini entrance) and than follow the signs to your track. However, the bad news is that the trains to Civitavecchia generally depart from a track that is very far back in the station complex. Be prepared to walk several blocks to get to the train and allow 15 min for the walk. If you really need to get information in English, it is spoken at the information desk (just look for the big "I") but there can often be a long line to get to speak to an information person. You will also discover that many Italians speak some English so if you are really in need of help do not hesitate to ask anyone for information. To be honest, in recent years of our extensive travels the worst language barrier problems we have encountered is in London where there are many folks who speak no English (funny but true).

Hank

We just did the train to the port a week or so ago. Pretty easy to do. We went for the 1st class ticket on the EuroStar train and didn't have any problems at all. The train station is big but most everything is labelled fairly clearly.

Only problem is that the italian train website does not process most credit cards online, so reserving your tickets via the web is difficult for most. We stayed in Rome for 4 days before heading to the port for the cruise. One day we walked over to Termini to purchase tickets via the automated ticket machines - easy process. While there, we read the schedule and checked out the 'bin' (track number) for our train. That way we were familiar with the station and where to go. When we came back on day 4 with all our luggage - we had a good idea of where to go and what to expect. If you get to the station 30 minutes before your train departs, you'll have plenty of time to re-check the track number and get yourself to the right place.

Rome is an awesome city, enjoy your trip.

We found it very easy both coming and going! We are in our mid 50's and had never been to the MED and are NOT familiar with metro/train stations and we did not have any problems. We took the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini and had no difficulty getting thru the station and to our hotel. After our time in Rome we took the train to Civi to catch our ship. We went to the ticket window at the front of the station asked for tickets to Civi and asked which track. I don't remember it as being as far as others have posted. We were pulling our own luggage (2 apiece) and I don't think it was more than a ciy block, if that. When we got to Civi we off loaded next to the station and did not have to go down or up any steps, as others have had to do.

So, to answer the OP question we did not find the Termini station to large to get around and English questions were answered for us.

I read somewhere that the Civi trains are usually on tracks 27-30, is that true? Also if I take the Metro A there is a stop Ottaviano-S. Pietro Museo, is that near (how many blocks) the S. Pietro train stop to Civ.?

I am confused as far as which would be easier - us Termini or S. Pietro station to get back to port? Thanks everyone for your help.

Regarding buying train tickets in advance, there is absolutely no reason to purchase tickets in advance for the regional line that goes between Civitavecchia and Rome unless you decide to take the less frequent high speed IC trains (they cost more and require reservations). The regional trains do not even allow reservations. As to which station to use for getting back to the port, if you are going from the Vatican back to to Civitavecchia it makes a lot more sense to just walk over to the S. Pietro station. In fact, the ride from the S Pietro station back to the port is about 30 min faster than taking that same train from the Termini Station. For whatever reason, it takes that regional train nearly 30 min to get across Rome from the Termini Station to S. Pietro.

Hank

We found it very easy both coming and going! We are in our mid 50's and had never been to the MED and are NOT familiar with metro/train stations and we did not have any problems. We took the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini and had no difficulty getting thru the station and to our hotel. After our time in Rome we took the train to Civi to catch our ship. We went to the ticket window at the front of the station asked for tickets to Civi and asked which track. I don't remember it as being as far as others have posted. We were pulling our own luggage (2 apiece) and I don't think it was more than a ciy block, if that. When we got to Civi we off loaded next to the station and did not have to go down or up any steps, as others have had to do.

So, to answer the OP question we did not find the Termini station to large to get around and English questions were answered for us.

Were you able to keep a watch on your luggage during the train ride? Did you have enough time to get luggage off the train at the Port stop. Any idea what folks are talking about when they say Port station has a difficult underground tunnel to go thru?

I read somewhere that the Civi trains are usually on tracks 27-30, is that true? Also if I take the Metro A there is a stop Ottaviano-S. Pietro Museo, is that near (how many blocks) the S. Pietro train stop to Civ.?

I am confused as far as which would be easier - us Termini or S. Pietro station to get back to port? Thanks everyone for your help.

Unfortunately, no...the Metro stop is on one side of the Vatican and the train station is on the other. It's not very close. HOWEVER, if you will be at the Vatican last, it makes more sense to return to Civitavecchia via the S. Pietro station, definitely.

Since I will not be near the Vatican at the day's close and my day will end either at Piazza Navona or Piazza Venezia it looks like I'm better off going to Termini for the train. What time should I catch the Metro and train to be back to port by 4:30 or 4:45? Thanks again for answering my questions.

Since I will not be near the Vatican at the day's close and my day will end either at Piazza Navona or Piazza Venezia it looks like I'm better off going to Termini for the train. What time should I catch the Metro and train to be back to port by 4:30 or 4:45? Thanks again for answering my questions.

Just be careful if you are at the Piazza Navona (our favorite spot in Rome). There is no metro station convenient to that area and its quite a long walk back to the Termini. You might want to check at one of Rome's information booths about the current bus routes if you want to avoid the walk.

Hank

Were you able to keep a watch on your luggage during the train ride? Did you have enough time to get luggage off the train at the Port stop. Any idea what folks are talking about when they say Port station has a difficult underground tunnel to go thru?

We were on the 11:10 train on a Saturday and there was only one other family in our train car. We put the luggage in the seat across the isle from us. (of course, we had our carry-on bags at our feet and lap) When we were close to Civi we started getting our luggage next to the doorway. But, yes we had plenty of time to get our luggage off. As I understand it we must have been on a train route that ended at Civi as the people that have to go down the steps and thru the underpass (under the tracks) are on a train route that continues on. Hope that makes sense!

If you take the Leonardo Express from the Airport, there is a ticket booth with a live person there with which to get your tickets to Civit. I decided to go take a first class coach and it was very nice. The first class coaches are usually in front of the train. There is a good deal more room and there were few people. We really had no problem with our luggage. I kept a close eye on the luggage just the same. The Leonardo Express train from the airport to Roma was by far the most congested, but even it was no problem.

The walk from the train station to the port is not far at all. Once inside the gates, there are shuttle buses that are labeled for each ship.

Good Luck and have a great cruise.

Duane

I read that the Termini metro station is very large and complex. How easy is it to find the Civitavecchia train from the Termini metro station? Is English spoken there if you need to get directions to find the train? If anyone can give me details to get to the trains back to port, I would greatly appreciate it.

It is usually track 29 or so. It is one of the last tracks, and a good distance to walk to it. Just check the boards and ask for help, if necessary. :)

I know we will end up in the area of the Vittorio Emanuel monument so how do I get to Termini for our return to Civitaveccha? Should we walk to the Colosseum to catch the metro, or are there any buses, trams, etc. we can take.

Archived