Question for Jane110

cigal

Oh Jane - what a lousy July you had!

And why can't packers understand that they actually need to label boxes?! In addition to the misc. boxes, you probably have 15 labeled "kichen stufs". That's what I usually wind up with.

I am really sorry that you had to miss your cruise. The other day when I was reading one of the pre-inaugural reviews I was thinking of you, and wondering how much fun you were having.

Hope you're healing and will be feeling well soon.

Thanks for the nice thoughts. No surgery necessary, but healing is a long process and I'm the "speedy gonzalez" type when I walk, when I unpack, etc, so this is really tough for me.

Water Baby - yes, I got lots of boxes called "kitchen" as my former apt had a very large kitchen so I stored a lot of non-kitchen items. The new kitchen is much smaller, and so when I do find a box labeled "kitchen" I find all sorts of things I don't need, like a Santa coffee mug and 3 half used bottles of white vinegar (used for laundry). My cappuccino machine, which I use daily, is still missing.:(

I had three boxes marked "Living Room Closet". However, we never had a closet in the living room! So, I'm finding all the stuff I don't need and can't find the stuff I do need. DH's shoes are still MIA.

Well.....things will get better.

Wishing you all a good weekend!

Why do I have a feeling you're not planning another move soon????

LOL!!!!! Thanks, I needed a good chuckle!

(besides, this isn't exactly the time i want to be sellling my home)

DH is being courted by a headhunter for a job in Denver. The job itself is exactly what he loves to do best, and when he asked me if I'd consider it, I told him he'd better consider doing a weekly NYC-Denver commute! ;)

I feel so bad for you! I've had a herniated disk before so I can relate to your pain. I ended up getting the spinal cortisone shots and they worked, thank goodness. The most important thing for me to do was the excercises they gave me, I still do them every time I have a twinge of back pain.

I feel your pain with moving, too! We haven't moved now in 20 years mostly because of the horror of the last move. Same story, boxes not put into the proper rooms although they were carefully labeled. At least I didn't have to go through that nightmare with back pain.

I do hope your new place is beautiful and feels like home real soon. Take care of yourself and get over that pain!!!

All 3 paragraphs end with PAIN :eek: I'd say "you poor dear" but it may be taken the wrong way ;):)

Oh Jane, what an ordeal! Ouch is right! I'm so sorry. Moving is stressful enough as it is. :eek:

Hope everything works out quickly so you can sit back and enjoy your new place.

BTW...you can't move to Denver, you're our Manhattan girl! Good luck to you and DH with everything! ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for the words of empathy.

Actually, there was another disaster that I didn't mention....I mean, I feel like if I told you all the details you'd think I was lying. Moving always has disasters, but this is tooo much!

What I didn't tell you was that the movers worked til 10:00PM and they got to a point where they said, "no more boxes would fit into the apt!!!!" So they asked the super if they could put them into the basement.....which is a big no-no. The super was up in my apt, and I just had tears run down my face and he said, "OK, but you can't tell anyone. I could get into a lot of trouble". So they put about 30 boxes of stuff into the basement.

I was still planning on London trip, and a couple of days later got up at 6:00Am to pack for trip, unpack some boxes, go get a mani/pedi and go on the cruise (unfortunately w/out DH). At 8:30AM there's a knock on our door. It was the super and he had a look on him that scared me...."Oh no" I said. "What now?" He looks at me with a 'your puppy just died' look and said, the rain last night flooded the basement and half our boxes got soaked!!!!

At that point, I had to cancel the trip/cruise to London. Just after I was up half the night looking through boxes for some clothes to wear on the trip! :(

So we're STILL digging through wet and moldy boxes and so far, the things that have been ruined are not that important. But who knows....there are still wet boxes to go through. <sigh>

Okay, so let's bring this thread back to laundry, because today brought yet ANOTHER disaster.......

I bought a brand new loverly matalisse cover which I put on our bed two days ago. It looks soooo pretty.

Today, male kitty is on the bed and I see a few blood spots. Apparently he injured a nail and there was a bit of blood. So, I go and get a new sponge and some laundry detergent to spot clean it. Well, all blood spots quickly and easily disappear, HOWEVER, the new sponge left big blue dye spots all around where the little blood spots were!!!!! So I pretreat and throw into the washing machine and they wouldn't budge. So, now on my beautiful new (expensive) matalisse cover, I have about 3 4" blue circles!!!!! Can you believe this??? What company makes a cleaning sponge that leaves dye??? I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them to replace the cost of my cover. (yeah, good luck, right?)

Any ideas on how get the dye from a cleaning sponge off an off-white cotton coverlet????

AAARRGGG!!!!!!!

Momofmeg, thanks for your kind words.

Hoyaheel, thanks for the Carbona recommendation. I'm going to get some tomorrow! The coverlet is 100% cotton, and a natural off white color. Would be great if it took the blue streaks out!

I didn't call the company who makes the sponges today, as I'm too busy unpaacking and trying to get all our boxes out of the basement.

SimpleLife - Don't know who made the cover. I took off the tag.

Hoyaheel, thanks for the Carbona recommendation. I'm going to get some tomorrow! The coverlet is 100% cotton, and a natural off white color. Would be great if it took the blue streaks out!

I didn't call the company who makes the sponges today, as I'm too busy unpaacking and trying to get all our boxes out of the basement.

If the coverlet was white and not off white you could use a bleach pen.

The old fashioned alternative to a bleach pen was to hang a garment outside in the sun and put lemon juice on the stain. Of course, there would still be the danger of it bleaching too light.

Perhaps you could try that as a "last resort."

My cats have destroyed a few things too. I love them so much I just "put up" with it. Of course-it has not been all bad-I have hardwood floors now in my den because my one cat loved scratching on one spot in the carpet. The carpet was destroyed-LOL! in one spot so we replaced it with hardwood. (which I prefer to carpet)Then we learned we could trim the cat's nails-LOL! We did not want to declaw the cat as she liked to go outside some! we now trim her nails.

Let us know how the Carbona works and what happens with the sponge company. Happy unpacking!:)

I bought a brand new loverly matalisse cover which I put on our bed two days ago. It looks soooo pretty.

Today, male kitty is on the bed and I see a few blood spots. Apparently he injured a nail and there was a bit of blood. So, I go and get a new sponge and some laundry detergent to spot clean it. Well, all blood spots quickly and easily disappear, HOWEVER, the new sponge left big blue dye spots all around where the little blood spots were!!!!! So I pretreat and throw into the washing machine and they wouldn't budge. So, now on my beautiful new (expensive) matalisse cover, I have about 3 4" blue circles!!!!! Can you believe this??? What company makes a cleaning sponge that leaves dye??? I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask them to replace the cost of my cover. (yeah, good luck, right?)

Any ideas on how get the dye from a cleaning sponge off an off-white cotton coverlet????

AAARRGGG!!!!!!!

Try the spray Oxy Clean; it comes in a blue spray bottle. Soak the area and let it set. Repeat and in almost all cases it will take out any contact dye issues. You can blot it but you do want to keep it moist. Don't give up it make take a few times....I swear by Oxy Clean (in the blue spray bottle)

Archived