Explain the gem and art sales to me

Markanddonna

Hi,

Am I missing something wonderful? I know that this happens on all/most of the cruise lines and not just NCL. What is the fascination with buying gems/gold on the ship and at the ports? Also, I overheard bidding for the art on the Pearl in the $60K range. Who goes cruising to buy jewelry and art? Are there any good deals? I don't spend any time looking at these stores or going to the art auctions or shopping talks, but lots of others do.

Thanks,

Connie

Not sure of the gems, but I do have some experience with the art sales. Most of the art falls into the category of limited edition prints signed by the artist, usually in issues of 1000-2000. The prices depend on the crowd but on the cruise I was on almost everything went for the reserve price, which was a few hundred dollars, and roughly similar to what the same print could be acquired for on the internet, when the costs of framing are added. As long as you are just looking form something to adorn your walls and have no illusions of making an "investment" in art (I think the intrinsic value of most of the pieces is pretty neglibile, I doubt you will be taken advantage of.

As for the $60,000 price, my guess is that is either a come on using some plant in the audience, or perhaps the auction company has a high priced art auction for invtied guests every so often. unless you really know what you are looking at and the price elsewhere, I'd stay away from anything at that level of pricing.

Guide the art sale :

1) Don't go

I don' t agree. I enjoy art auctions. On my NCL cruises, I didn't buy anything (I still cry because I didn't buy an ORIGINAL piece of art from an artist I love that was about 200$ - money was very short at the time, we had just bought a new house witlh all bills that come along with moving, etc. but since the cruise was paid for, I went... but on a budget).

You sometimes get free bubbly and I enjoy learning about art and artists.

On Cunard, I did buy 3 pieces but nothing expensive. 2x40$ pieces unframed (they have those very inexpensive pieces of art at the beggining to get the auction going. Usually it's nothing I like but this time I did like them). The other is a limited edition serigraphy (250) that I bought for 200$. They had the originals of this artist but I couldn't spend 800$+.

By the way, a serigraphy is NOT a reprint like you can buy at the frame mega-stores. Yes, they are mechanicaly done but they do have some texture, the artist supervises the process of reproduction, signs and numbers every copy.

If you are interested in art, make sure that you inquire about the shipping and handling costs too since those are expensive (and you can't say you will simply take it with you, unless it's a one-of-a-kind original - otherwise it's another copy you will get from their warehouse). My 40$ pieces cost about 85$ shipped. Some countries also add taxes to art, you have to check that too.

We love going to the art auctions. We found a lot of them to be very interesting and we had a good time. Plus, free champagne. We bought a print once and we love it. We paid under $100 for it framed, so it was worth it. My mother has gotten some really beautiful pieces at the auctions as well. The most I've seen something go for was $14,000. It was a sketch that Picasso did and they also got a free 7 day cruise with it.

Like any other auction, people get caught up in the drama of it, and stuff sells for a lot more than it's actually worth. And then there is the issue of, now that you've bought it, how do you get it home? Much of what is available can be bought locally (meaning in a big city, not my town of 500! :) ) or on the internet for less, and much more conveniently.

But if you're bored and have a little time to kill, go for the free champagne and people watching.

Like any other auction, people get caught up in the drama of it, and stuff sells for a lot more than it's actually worth. And then there is the issue of, now that you've bought it, how do you get it home? Much of what is available can be bought locally (meaning in a big city, not my town of 500! :) ) or on the internet for less, and much more conveniently.

But if you're bored and have a little time to kill, go for the free champagne and people watching.

I'm talking about Cunard and not NCL here but I saved over 50% of what I would have paid on internet for the exact same piece of art.

Don't buy to make money out of it but if you really like something and can afford it, I don't think you will be disapointed or ripped-off.

We've bought 9 pieces at different auctions on various ships.

We've checked ebay & other online auctions for pricing guidance...plus the auctioneer will tell you what the 'street" price is, if you ask during the break, or before the bidding.

That said, auction-buying is a competitive process and if there's a piece you really like, you may pay more for it than it's worth.

On some level, art is like wine. For personal use, your own personal taste may dictate in a sense that "cost" may be irrelevant.

We purchased a serigraph on NCL. We had seen it in the pre-auction viewing. In the first auction, somene bid more than we were willing to spend (an instance where people get carried away in the moment). At the second auction, they had another copy. We let someone lese take it, but at a price much less than it went at the first auction. We realized we liked it very much. After the auction we talked to the auctioneer. He checked with Park West, and indicated that he could order us one and offered us the same price as sold at the second auction. After the cruise we searched and "shopped" for the same serigraph, and it appeared that we purchased at slightly below retail market price at the time.

The important thing is that WE were very pleased with the purchase. We still get many compliments from guests.

To us, the art auction on the cruise is just a social thing. And maybe you find something you like. :)

As for the $60K, that I don't know. However, we have seen original Picasso sketches on ship, but for show or private "sale". Never seen them auction those. ;)

I agree. Who comes on a cruise to buy emeralds or diamonds? And they REALLY peddle this stuff. I think it's tasteless to have it in the main atrium. TASTELESS!!!!

Actually, emeralds can be quite tasty, and they're high in fibre and will lower your cholesterol.

If you don't like the taste of your emeralds, please ship them to me. Just ask and I'll gve you my mailing address.

When we were on the Sky my 16 yo son went to a lecture about gems. He received a coupon for a free sapphire purportedly worth $100 from a shop in Nassau. We happened to be near the shop when we were walking around so he went in with his coupon and they gave him the sapphire. They didn't try to sell him anything or delay him in anyway. I don't know that it's actually worth $100 but he's happy with it.

When we were on the Sky my 16 yo son went to a lecture about gems. He received a coupon for a free sapphire purportedly worth $100 from a shop in Nassau. We happened to be near the shop when we were walking around so he went in with his coupon and they gave him the sapphire. They didn't try to sell him anything or delay him in anyway. I don't know that it's actually worth $100 but he's happy with it.

Not to spoil his fun, but there was an online auction house around a few years ago, which sold jewellery by auction (I haven't seen them in a couple of years).....I bought a 2 carat (big stone) Thailand blue sapphire. Absolutely gorgeoous stone.

Cost: $2 (and yes, i had a local jeweller confirm it was indeed a sapphire)

Not to spoil his fun, but there was an online auction house around a few years ago, which sold jewellery by auction (I haven't seen them in a couple of years).....I bought a 2 carat (big stone) Thailand blue sapphire. Absolutely gorgeoous stone.

Cost: $2 (and yes, i had a local jeweller confirm it was indeed a sapphire)

I won't tell him if you don't ;). The way I look at it (and he does too) is that it's worth at least what he paid for it.

Archived