QV cruise returned 20th July 2009

Sharrystar

Have just returned from the above cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the Glaciers and Geysers. However, am I the only one who feels that on top of the $11 per person, per day for tips, there is 15% added to bar bills which makes the whole tipping aspect a very expensive exercise. Couldn't fault the service of waitress and cabin steward and would have liked to tip extra, but enough is enough! First time with Cunard, usually P&O, and found entertainment not as good as P&O. It does sound like I am complaining, but I am not as I had a great time all in all, but would certainly think again about Cunard cruises. Anyone else agree with me or am I a lone voice?

on top of the $11 per person, per day for tips, there is 15% added to bar bills which makes the whole tipping aspect a very expensive exercise...... First time with Cunard, usually P&O

What happens on P&O?

Have just returned from the above cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the Glaciers and Geysers. However, am I the only one who feels that on top of the $11 per person, per day for tips, there is 15% added to bar bills which makes the whole tipping aspect a very expensive exercise. Couldn't fault the service of waitress and cabin steward and would have liked to tip extra, but enough is enough! First time with Cunard, usually P&O, and found entertainment not as good as P&O. It does sound like I am complaining, but I am not as I had a great time all in all, but would certainly think again about Cunard cruises. Anyone else agree with me or am I a lone voice?

Cor you like to live dangerously don't you? Bringing up the subject of tipping and criticising Cunard in one post. Brave. Very Brave.

Gari

On P&O no 15% added to bar bills, tipping is a suggested amount at the end of the cruise.

There have been a few mutterings from the UK recently about tips added to bar bills - seem to have coincided with the exchange rate going somewhat pear-shaped from our point of view...

Mary

I don't think you will find too many here that will agree with you. Perhaps, if your expectations were not met, ie entertainment and tipping, it would be best not to consider Cunard again. Why even think about something that you are not satisfied with? Perhaps, P&O would be best.:)

On P&O no 15% added to bar bills, tipping is a suggested amount at the end of the cruise.

Well if that had been my experience - then, yes, I would start to wonder about the level of tipping on Cunard. It sounds like Cunard adopts the 'American' approach - tips with everything - while P&O is much more 'British' - so I understand Sherrystar's perspective....and am disappointed that we have extended our usual 'welcome' to those who critique Cunard.....:rolleyes:

Peter

Well if that had been my experience - then, yes, I would start to wonder about the level of tipping on Cunard. It sounds like Cunard adopts the 'American' approach - tips with everything - while P&O is much more 'British' - so I understand Sherrystar's perspective....and am disappointed that we have extended our usual 'welcome' to those who critique Cunard.....:rolleyes:

Peter

Well done Peter, your quite right , its also nice to know how P&O do things, I am hopeing to try out P&O for 2011

I was just stating how I felt, not criticising those people who think that there is only one cruise line i.e. Cunard. Surely this forum is for everyone to share thoughts about cruises and not think "they are being got at". Indeed, it would have to be a very special trip to make me consider Cunard again. P & O's Arcadia certainly takes a lot of beating. Haven't tried any of the other ships in the fleet.

I was just stating how I felt, not criticising those people who think that there is only one cruise line i.e. Cunard. Surely this forum is for everyone to share thoughts about cruises and not think "they are being got at". Indeed, it would have to be a very special trip to make me consider Cunard again. P & O's Arcadia certainly takes a lot of beating. Haven't tried any of the other ships in the fleet.

I have been told by someone that oceana is beautiful, dare you say how P&O compares,

You are perfectly entitled to question the 15% add-on to drinks, particularly if you were not aware of it before departing, and I shall take your word for it on the entertainment: this will give me a splendid excuse not to go. I would love to hear a few more of your thoughts, for example on the public rooms, food, and service.

I've been on Arcadia, and didn't like many aspects of it; what a splendid thing it is that there are so many different ships and lines to cater for just about everyone. When I wrote a not entirely complimentary piece about it on the P&O boards, I was thoroughly castigated - unfortunately, it happens, and so far your remarks have been better received than mine were. I hope that continues, and that you can perhaps find the time to add a few more notes - I'm due to go on my first QV cruise in September, and would be most interested.

Mary:)

Have just returned from the above cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the Glaciers and Geysers. However, am I the only one who feels that on top of the $11 per person, per day for tips, there is 15% added to bar bills which makes the whole tipping aspect a very expensive exercise. Couldn't fault the service of waitress and cabin steward and would have liked to tip extra, but enough is enough! First time with Cunard, usually P&O, and found entertainment not as good as P&O. It does sound like I am complaining, but I am not as I had a great time all in all, but would certainly think again about Cunard cruises. o changes at Anyone else agree with me or am I a lone voice?
Are you aware that the ex president of Cunard is now at the helm of the good ship P&O so changes are on the way at P&O.

Hi Sharrystar,

We have now opened the "Cunarda Box"!

I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your question?

As you know, Cunard does include our gratuity to our onboard account for either $11 or $13 per day per person depending on our restaurant choice. Guest do have the option to lower or higher the amount before the end of the voyage with the Purser's Office. You would think that gratuity would also include those who serve you at a bar or lounge. I think the restaurant staff have a more difficult job to do while serving the guests than those in the bar or lounge. (like one little tray with two glasses, two napkins, and the bill.) Think about the staff who serve the guests during tea time in the Queen's Room and other locations on the ship. They serve many more than those in the bars and lounges.

What happens here, is that many guests still want to push an envelope to their restaurant server and stateroom person in order to show how much they appreciated the service rendered. They could increase their daily gratuity at the Purser's Office, so that all staff members could benefit, but very few do it.

I think it is very clever of any cruise line to include the gratuity with the onboard account. There was a time with Cunard that all guests gave a suggested gratuity in a provided envelope to their restaurant servers, stateroom staff, and anyone else so deserving. The present system does allow other staff members to get part of our gratuity determined by Cunard.

So, Cunard hopes that many passengers will still push an envelope to the staff to increase the amount of gratuities for their staff rather than give them a larger salary which they deserve.

SO, I OPENED MY BIG MOUTH ON THE SUBJECT AND AWAY WE GO!!!!!!!

Terrence (Terry)

Peter

So I have a serious question. Do the British generally not tip waiters in a bar or pub?

So I have a serious question. Do the British generally not tip waiters in a bar or pub?

Perhaps I go to the wrong places, but in most pubs one wanders up to the bar, becomes invisible for about three hours before finally someone deigns to take your order, give you a drink, and take your money. By this time the will to live, let alone tip, has been lost.

Mary

In a British pub it is not appropriate to tip the staff. If you are eating in the pub I would probably tip the waiter but nothing to the drink server. They get paid fairly well

Waiters in restaurants - sometimes (tho a 'service charge' is often included in the bill so people tend to leave it at that). In bars & pubs almost never.

Gail, the British really dont tip in the same way that Americans do, we , I think pay more for service here and tipping went away, we do waiters and taxis, but not much else. and not bar staff, also they paid quite well.

I was reading is from a survey just this morning. to show that we do still tip some of the time

Tipping is Alive and Kicking...

Tipping-Survey-Main.jpg

The Credit Crunch Fails to Take a Bite Out of Restaurant Tips

A survey of 12,293 consumers has revealed that the recession has tightened the publics' purse strings - but the overwhelming majority are still prepared to tip for great service.

The survey comes after recent Government legislation banned employers from using tip money to bring staff pay up to the minimum wage level.

Nearly 95% of respondents still leave tips for waiting staff despite the downturn, However, the recession has increased expectations: 30% will now only tip for outstanding service, giving waiting staff an added incentive to deliver the very best customer service..

While more than a third (37.8%) tip just as highly as they did before the slump, 24% said they now tip less than they did before the credit crunch started in late 2008. Just 5.4% of those asked refuse to leave tips at all.

In the UK no one is expected to tip in a pub when ordering drinks and in all my years can not remember tipping while getting a drink at the bar.

This is the absolutely normal behaviour in UK pubs and bars.

While in the USA in various locations i am amazed that everyone is expected to tip a dollar for a barman to pour you a drink and push it across the bar and if you dont god help you.

In New York i sat at the bar paid for 2 expensive drinks and was automatically charged 17% for very little service.

I know its a british - american thing and long may it stay that way.

Fred & Sian

Perhaps I go to the wrong places, but in most pubs one wanders up to the bar, becomes invisible for about three hours before finally someone deigns to take your order, give you a drink, and take your money. By this time the will to live, let alone tip, has been lost.

Mary

Well, not a problem in America where tips are given. ;) And if you give a nice tip the first round the service is very quick the next time around. :D

In the UK no one is expected to tip in a pub when ordering drinks and in all my years can not remember tipping while getting a drink at the bar.

This is the absolutely normal behaviour in UK pubs and bars.

While in the USA in various locations i am amazed that everyone is expected to tip a dollar for a barman to pour you a drink and push it across the bar and if you dont god help you.

In New York i sat at the bar paid for 2 expensive drinks and was automatically charged 17% for very little service.

I know its a british - american thing and long may it stay that way.

Fred & Sian

So, if you go to a bar and sit all night with some friends, being served drinks the entire evening by a waiter--like in the Commodore Club--you mean to say that wouldn't warrant a tip?

So, if you go to a bar and sit all night with some friends, being served drinks the entire evening by a waiter--like in the Commodore Club--you mean to say that wouldn't warrant a tip?

Good question, most UK pubs are self service, you go to the bar, you buy a drink, you sit at a table and repeat all evening... no-one to tip. If there was a waiter involved, I would tip as would most people but it would be so rare in a pub. Happens in Dublin and they get tips.

Good question, most UK pubs are self service, you go to the bar, you buy a drink, you sit at a table and repeat all evening... no-one to tip. If there was a waiter involved, I would tip as would most people but it would be so rare in a pub. Happens in Dublin and they get tips.

So actually the difference is not really tipping, but the difference in services that creates the difference in our countries, then? I mean we have "bars" where you get drinks only at the bar, but usually they would not be a place that I would feel comfortable in, where I suspect I may be comfortalbe in a pub in the UK. But the two are completely two types different animals.

So actually the difference is not really tipping, but the difference in services that creates the difference in our countries, then? I mean we have "bars" where you get drinks only at the bar, but usually they would not be a place that I would feel comfortable in, where I suspect I may be comfortalbe in a pub in the UK. But the two are completely two types different animals.

Sort of, I suppose, though in hotels here I probably wouldn't tip the barman, even though he delivers the drinks to the table. It's a cultural thing - we are genetically programmed to tip waiters (but only if the service is good, and they are delivering food), taxi drivers, hairdressers, and others in the service industry who really goes far beyond what could reasonably be expected.

We never do it before the event, and tend to call that a bribe:).

Mary

Sort of, I suppose, though in hotels here I probably wouldn't tip the barman, even though he delivers the drinks to the table. It's a cultural thing - we are genetically programmed to tip waiters (but only if the service is good, and they are delivering food), taxi drivers, hairdressers, and others in the service industry who really goes far beyond what could reasonably be expected.

We never do it before the event, and tend to call that a bribe:).

Mary

So that is why that Cunard's automatic tipping isn't fully accepted by the British because it is done before hand and it feels like a bribe, is that right?:)

Archived