QV cruise returned 20th July 2009

Sharrystar

So that is why that Cunard's automatic tipping isn't fully accepted by the British because it is done before hand and it feels like a bribe, is that right?:)

Can't speak for anyone else, but I just view the automatic tip as part of the fare, probably the fairest way of implementing a system that no-one really knows how to improve upon, and certainly not a bribe - it doesn't involve ostentatiously flourishing bank notes in the hope that it will buy better service/a better table et al.

Oh dear, perhaps we had better change the subject...

Mary

Can't speak for anyone else, but I just view the automatic tip as part of the fare, probably the fairest way of implementing a system that no-one really knows how to improve upon, and certainly not a bribe - it doesn't involve ostentatiously flourishing bank notes in the hope that it will buy better service/a better table et al.

Oh dear, perhaps we had better change the subject...

Mary

Well, I don't believe in flinging bills at waiters either. I know there are some Americans that think that is the only way to go, but generally that is not what happens. I have heard that sometimes a bartender in Britain gets "tipped" by including him or her in a round of drinks. Now that would be totally unacceptable in the US. The bar would lose its liquor license immediately if the bartender was found to be drinking.

I have to say, how many times have we all been in a pub, and said and have one for yourself, is that a tip???????????????????????????//

No not really, it is just a thank you. I know several New York neighbourhood bars where for each 3 rounds you buy, the bar buy you one, now are they tipping me. No they are saying thanks for the custom in the easiest way possible. Long may it continue.

I have to say, how many times have we all been in a pub, and said and have one for yourself, is that a tip???????????????????????????//

Yes, I would consider it a tip of a kind. It could be worth more than what an American may tip in money actually. But Americans don't have that option.

I think maybe a little of both, a thank you, a tip, lol, lets leave it there otherwise as we all know It will get out of hand lol, cant cope with that again ,

Gail, you should come over for that dance, vist a pub and leave a thank you, after buying me a cider that is?

In pubs I have worked in in the north of the UK (and there have been a few along the way) the response to the customary, '....and one for yourself', was to take the price (or half the price depending on the quality of the pub) of the cheapest drink, often half a lager, and put it in a cup or glass behind the bar. Some places had one glass in which everyone was supposed to put this tip some pubs each of the bar staff had their own. It was usual for this to happen only on the first drink or round the customer bought. Rarely did anyone actually take a drink which though not illegal was usually frowned upon by the landlord.

Gari

In pubs I have worked in in the north of the UK (and there have been a few along the way) the response to the customary, '....and one for yourself', was to take the price (or half the price depending on the quality of the pub) of the cheapest drink, often half a lager, and put it in a cup or glass behind the bar. Some places had one glass in which everyone was supposed to put this tip some pubs each of the bar staff had their own. It was usual for this to happen only on the first drink or round the customer bought. Rarely did anyone actually take a drink which though not illegal was usually frowned upon by the landlord.

Gari

I knew a girl who worked in london who, when offered a drink took a bottle of beer. At the end of the night she took them all home in a box.

Free party at the weekend.

Glenn.

No not really, it is just a thank you. I know several New York neighbourhood bars where for each 3 rounds you buy, the bar buy you one, now are they tipping me. No they are saying thanks for the custom in the easiest way possible. Long may it continue.

No, they're charging you too much money in the first place!

Glenn.

Gari

Well, that certainly makes quite a lot of sense. otherwise the inebriated bar tender might be giving all the profits away--or drinking them himself.

Have just returned from the above cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the Glaciers and Geysers. However, am I the only one who feels that on top of the $11 per person, per day for tips, there is 15% added to bar bills which makes the whole tipping aspect a very expensive exercise. Couldn't fault the service of waitress and cabin steward and would have liked to tip extra, but enough is enough! First time with Cunard, usually P&O, and found entertainment not as good as P&O. It does sound like I am complaining, but I am not as I had a great time all in all, but would certainly think again about Cunard cruises. Anyone else agree with me or am I a lone voice?

Glad you had a good time. Unfortunately, I think P&O are in the minority regarding not charging the 15% tip on all drinks. It is the norm on all the lines I have been on - Celebrity, HAL, Cunard and Royal Caribbean (and they also charge a fortune for wine). I believe the cheapest bottle on the QM2 is something like $32 plus 15%, which to me is outrageous. I bet P&O don't charge as much for their wine as that. I wish it wasn't the case with the mainstream lines, but it won't stop me sailing with them. We are on the QM2 again in November and I can't wait! Sue

How much do you normally pay for a bottle of wine in a restautrrant in London?

Depends entirely on the restaurant,your knowledge and your income. In my case it's about £7. And that's allowing the establishment a mark up of 100%. Whatever happened to 'Blue Nun' and 'Black Tower' Ah those were the days.

A Nostalgic Gari

Depends entirely on the restaurant,your knowledge and your income. In my case it's about £7. And that's allowing the establishment a mark up of 100%. Whatever happened to 'Blue Nun' and 'Black Tower' Ah those were the days.

A Nostalgic Gari

Didn't I pay that much for a luke warm beer in London? :D

A Nostalgic Gari

Geeze Gar, that was the traditional drink at the Bernie Restaurants, I am glad those days are behind us:D

My one and only cruise on P & O was on the Oceana in 2004, the bar staff were paid commission and hovered round you ready to pounce.

Bear in mind, had you bought on board credit at $2 to £ a $32 bottle of wine would equate to £16 + £2.40 £18.40 not bad for a 5* restaurant.

Sharry star

Why didn't you just opt out of the automatic tipping and then you can choose your own amounts and to whom they go. You will still pay the 15% on drinks of course.

... and Lanliq and El Dorado.

Sorry, I may have gone too far down market there. :eek:

J

Mateus Rose is still around.....I'm told.....:eek:

I'd expect ~£10ish for a bottle of house wine £15 - £20 for something a bit more upmarket (but not necessarily better...)

Mateus Rose is still around.....I'm told.....:eek:

I'd expect ~£10ish for a bottle of house wine £15 - £20 for something a bit more upmarket (but not necessarily better...)

You sophisticates are waayy out of my class. Jimmy mate, I'll join in your round.

A Penurious Gari

You sophisticates are waayy out of my class. Jimmy mate, I'll join in your round.

A Penurious Gari

Anything less than $30 in NYC and I feel I'm being had and that they have recorked an old bottle with colored water.

Although the "house" wine on QM2/QE2 (both red and white) was quite nice, and affordable too. Have they done with that?

A Suspicious Mate of the Sea

Anything less than $30 in NYC and I feel I'm being had and that they have recorked an old bottle with colored water.

Although the "house" wine on QM2/QE2 (both red and white) was quite nice, and affordable too. Have they done with that?

A Suspicious Mate of the Sea

Do they actually do that?

Do they actually do that?

No, I am sure they do not, but one wonders, given what one expects to pay in NYC. Any bottle under $30 would seem suspect to my jaded mind. Mind you, your results may vary...

(P.S., how the heck are you G, and how's the husband's ticker, my dear?)

No, I am sure they do not, but one wonders, given what one expects to pay in NYC. Any bottle under $30 would seem suspect to my jaded mind. Mind you, your results may vary...

(P.S., how the heck are you G, and how's the husband's ticker, my dear?)

I am fine thank you, Michael. Rick's doing great! The doctor tells him his heart is essentially like new, so he needs to take good care of it. He was back to work in six weeks and very glad of it because he was completely bored out of his skull hanging around with the likes of me. :)

Well, I really have wondered sometimes, what you actually do get at some of the ship's cocktail parties. I have always wondered if the mixed drinks were watered down--seeing I can drink more than my share and still feel no ill-effects. That's why I switched to wine--now I am wondering about that too.

Archived