Hand washing

Hi

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this subject. DH noticed last year on Enchantment many guys walked out without washing their hands. I have also noticed many females do the same.

Would you challenge someone about this. Particularly now with swine flu apart from the obvious nora virus etc. What are your thoughts.

Scotfi

I probably wouldnt challenge another passenger, but I would use my loud, Boston, Passive agressive commenting...."Ewww....you dont wash your hands?????" juuuuust loud enough to be heard. Honestly its not my business....I dont touch anything in a public bathroom and use the paper towel to open the doors anyway.

But if it were a staff member, I would ask them the time or when the show was, and get their name off their tag, and proceed to the pursers desk and complain about them.

I would never confront anyone ... you just don't know how people are going to react, even on a cruise ship!

However ... if I saw them in the buffet or around food I would steer clear and would probably point them out to my DH (or whoever I was with) and loudly comment about them not washing their hands.

Some people seem to think that they're too good for germs.

Scotfi

Do you mean norovirus? (not being cheeky, for the benefit of others Scotfi is my SIL). I believe I would politely raise their awareness to the fact they omitted to wash their hands, simply because of the horrendous effect it can have (imagine if the majority of cruisers acted this way).

If it was a person who worked in the food areas, I would definitely report them.

A whole ship could become very sick because of that one persons filthy hygiene.

In the work I did, we had to follow those with that nasty habit and make them return to the bathrooms to wash their hands. It only took once and they learned. We did it nicely, but firmly.

Scotfi

Do you mean norovirus? (not being cheeky, for the benefit of others Scotfi is my SIL). I believe I would politely raise their awareness to the fact they omitted to wash their hands, simply because of the horrendous effect it can have (imagine if the majority of cruisers acted this way).

Hi

Thanks DSIL did mean norovirus, nora is a friend from work HA HA

Scotfi

Hi

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this subject. DH noticed last year on Enchantment many guys walked out without washing their hands. I have also noticed many females do the same.

Would you challenge someone about this. Particularly now with swine flu apart from the obvious nora virus etc. What are your thoughts.

Scotfi

I NEVER go from the restroom without washing my hands..

I do NOT even use the door handle without a paper towel...

However, I always have my Purell in my pocket..

I am never without it....but, maybe some people leave the restroom

and, rely solely on their Purell or, the ship's at the entrance

to the dining venues.

Either way, it is cheap insurance.

I always wonder how I got through so many years

without my Purell bottle. :rolleyes:

It is really gross the number of men that don't wash up in the bathroom. Can only imagine women could be as bad

We don't really know whether the % of men who don't wash is any different than women. That said, men can finish their business (at least #1) without touching many public surfaces. Women have more doors to open and close and have to sit on the seat and thus more likely to get in touch with and carry germs.

We don't really know whether the % of men who don't wash is any different than women. That said, men can finish their business (at least #1) without touching many public surfaces. Women have more doors to open and close and have to sit on the seat and thus more likely to get in touch with and carry germs.

You mean with their hands? Sitting on a seat isn't the problem. It's what each individual touches and I'd hazard to say men touch more than women.

Public surfaces aren't the problem. It's the private ones.

You mean with their hands? Sitting on a seat isn't the problem. It's what each individual touches and I'd hazard to say men touch more than women.

Public surfaces aren't the problem. It's the private ones.

The public surfaces carry germs _between_ people. The private surfaces are just smelly and dirty but carry mostly the same germs that are on the person's body elsewhere also. We could get into a very graphic description of how men and women use public rest rooms and what they have to touch but I am not going to go there :D

Oh believe me, I have wanted to call someone back and make them wash their hands in a public restroom but I would never have the guts to do it unfortunately.

It is disgusting to see grown women leave the restroom without washing their hands though. Absolutely gross.

The public surfaces carry germs _between_ people. The private surfaces are just smelly and dirty but carry mostly the same germs that are on the person's body elsewhere also. We could get into a very graphic description of how men and women use public rest rooms and what they have to touch but I am not going to go there :D

Hi

Please don't.

scotfi

Hi

DH would like to add that he believes the public surfaces are not the biggest problem. The fact that adults are so disgusting they would not consider washing their hands and spread their germs anywhere else is what concerns him. Not just the handles and surfaces in the rest rooms but food items are at risk of contamination.

Scotfi

Oh believe me, I have wanted to call someone back and make them wash their hands in a public restroom but I would never have the guts to do it unfortunately.

It is disgusting to see grown women leave the restroom without washing their hands though. Absolutely gross.

In Vegas we see it all. There are so many places and people.

So many ladies never wash their hands. :(

I am also appalled and can not understand the young mothers today who allow their little ones to crawl around on the bathroom stall floors while Mom is using the toilet. Mom might wash her hands before leaving the restroom. Not baby! No, Mom puts baby back in the stroller that was outside the stall door and they leave.

I won't even put a package of mine on the floor. YUK!

In the buffets lines, people grab food from the buffets with their bare hands instead of using the utensils.

They pick up several plates and put them back again? A plate is a plate? They take a cookie with their hands and then put it back and take another.

It is a wonder we are all not sick as a dog out here.

Sit on the seat??!?!? EWWWWWWWWWWWW

I have never - not once - sat on a public bathroom seat. In a hotel room, or in my cabin, but never a general public bathroom on or off a cruiseship. My mother made sure I perfected 'the hover' at a young age.

sit on the seat??!?!? Ewwwwwwwwwwww

i have never - not once - sat on a public bathroom seat. In a hotel room, or in my cabin, but never a general public bathroom on or off a cruiseship. My mother made sure i perfected 'the hover' at a young age.

tmi........

I NEVER go from the restroom without washing my hands..

I do NOT even use the door handle without a paper towel...

However, I always have my Purell in my pocket..

I am never without it....but, maybe some people leave the restroom

and, rely solely on their Purell or, the ship's at the entrance

to the dining venues.

Either way, it is cheap insurance.

I always wonder how I got through so many years

without my Purell bottle. :rolleyes:

Looking to become a Purell Champion? :p

I'm a big fan of washing my hands...although in some public restrooms I feel safer not. A cruise ship is not one of those restrooms.

Archived