Hand washing

Sit on the seat??!?!? EWWWWWWWWWWWW

I have never - not once - sat on a public bathroom seat. In a hotel room, or in my cabin, but never a general public bathroom on or off a cruiseship. My mother made sure I perfected 'the hover' at a young age.

I certainly hope you then have the seat raised before you squat, or else you will spray the seat, small droplets might not even be seen, becoming the cause of "germs".:rolleyes:

I sit on seats and never get ill because I know only my legs touch the seats, and if he seat is questionable, I can always put tp on it.

I certainly hope you then have the seat raised before you squat, or else you will spray the seat, small droplets might not even be seen, becoming the cause of "germs".:rolleyes:

I sit on seats and never get ill because I know only my legs touch the seats, and if he seat is questionable, I can always put tp on it.

more tmi

Sit on the seat??!?!? EWWWWWWWWWWWW

I have never - not once - sat on a public bathroom seat. In a hotel room, or in my cabin, but never a general public bathroom on or off a cruiseship. My mother made sure I perfected 'the hover' at a young age.

Nothing like the perfect "hover". But sometimes the aim is a bit off course:)

I work at a hospital, and with the H1N1 virus, hand hygiene is in the forefront of discussion. You should always wash your hands each time you use a restroom, not just because of what you may of just touched in there, but to get rid of the germs from everything you've touched since the last time you used the washroom, and don't think because you don't touch anything in the washroom your safe from all the people that didn't wash their hands - your following them everywhere throughout the ship - picking up a piece of jewellery, touching the rail of the ship as you check out that beautiful sunset, or adjusting your deck chair. Everything you touch may have "gifts" for you from the person before that didn't wash their hands!

Haing gotten that off my chest.....:rolleyes:

Happy Cruising everyone!

Kim.

Hi

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this subject. DH noticed last year on Enchantment many guys walked out without washing their hands. I have also noticed many females do the same.

Would you challenge someone about this. Particularly now with swine flu apart from the obvious nora virus etc. What are your thoughts.

Scotfi

I have to agree... Disgusting. There are people who do this at work and it makes me sick (fortunately, not literally).\

BTW... I have to ask...

Per your quote... "...I have also noticed many females do the same."

Ummmmmm... How exactly did you observe this? Just curious. :confused::D

Here's a link to the last thread about hand washing, and my post in that thread has links to quite a few other threads about the incessant hand washing debates, which like formal wear, or smuggling or irons, are never going to get solved on this board. It is most amusing that about every three weeks we have to rehash the ssdd. As for challenging someone leaving the head without washing their hands, how do you know they aren't going out the door to squirt their sanitizing gel?? Sort of jumping to conclusions aren't you? Many of the folks argue that sanitizer gels are just as good as hand washing, so what difference does it make if they don't wash hands, as long as they use gel, and if you follow them long enough to see if they use gel, then that's just weird, although the courts actually refer to it as stalking.

I ALWAYS wash my hands but don't really care about others. I have been teaching preschoolers in public school for over 10 years. Not much makes me sick anymore and yes we had the swine flu go through our campus. As for my kiddos, if the bathroom sink is busy then we use sanitizer. It actually works better on my little ones since they don't have the patience to fully scrub their hands. If you skip any of the handwashing steps you don't do much good anyway.

The song goes: (to the tune of: Are you sleeping?)

Tops and bottoms

Tops and bottoms

In between

In between

All around our hands

All around our hands

Now their clean

Now their clean

Sing that and maybe others will be encouraged to wash their hands or maybe you will be turned in for metal health issues.

Wash your own hands and don't touch your face and you will probably be fine.

Monica

more tmi

Then, quit reading this thread!

I have seen a few women at work leave the restroom without washing their hands, but it's rare. I still say men are worse and women are better about using seat covers or "hovering". I was raised that way too.:D

On Carnival, they have small tissue dispensers next to the door with a trash can just inside the door before you leave the restroom so you can open the door with the tissue and throw it away after you open the door. It works well.

I rarely get sick and I'm convinced it's partly due to having been a stay at home mom for 14 years. I was exposed to everything while volunteering in the school. I also have a great immune system, but I still wash my hands as a rule. I rarely use hand sanitizers since they just add to resistant germs and dont' work against most viruses. They are meant for bacteria.

Norovirus is much more common on land (schools, nursing homes, hospitals) than it is on a cruise ship.

The funny thing is, most bathroom are cleaner than keyboard, phones, doorknobs and hand rails. Bathrooms are cleaned and sanitized regularly. How often do you use a keyboard or open a door and not wash your hands? Think about it.

Per your quote... "...I have also noticed many females do the same."

Ummmmmm... How exactly did you observe this? Just curious. :confused::D

Errr... she said her DH (dear/darling husband) observed men who don't wash their hands, and she, as a woman, observed some women do not wash theirs. Right?

Looking to become a Purell Champion? :p

I'm a big fan of washing my hands...although in some public restrooms I feel safer not. A cruise ship is not one of those restrooms.

Hmmmmmmm....

PURELL CHAMPION?

What's a PURELL CHAMPION?

Does it get cruise credits? :D

Not heard of that as yet.. :rolleyes:

Then, quit reading this thread!

I have seen a few women at work leave the restroom without washing their hands, but it's rare. I still say men are worse and women are better about using seat covers or "hovering". I was raised that way too.:D

On Carnival, they have small tissue dispensers next to the door with a trash can just inside the door before you leave the restroom so you can open the door with the tissue and throw it away after you open the door. It works well.

I rarely get sick and I'm convinced it's partly due to having been a stay at home mom for 14 years. I was exposed to everything while volunteering in the school. I also have a great immune system, but I still wash my hands as a rule. I rarely use hand sanitizers since they just add to resistant germs and dont' work against most viruses. They are meant for bacteria.

Norovirus is much more common on land (schools, nursing homes, hospitals) than it is on a cruise ship.

The funny thing is, most bathroom are cleaner than keyboard, phones, doorknobs and hand rails. Bathrooms are cleaned and sanitized regularly. How often do you use a keyboard or open a door and not wash your hands? Think about it.

Very well said, I agree with you 100%!

We don't really know whether the % of men who don't wash is any different than women. That said, men can finish their business (at least #1) without touching many public surfaces. Women have more doors to open and close and have to sit on the seat and thus more likely to get in touch with and carry germs.
It's not the number of public surfaces that matters, it's the number of pubic ones. ;)

Here's a link to the last thread about hand washing, and my post in that thread has links to quite a few other threads about the incessant hand washing debates, which like formal wear, or smuggling or irons, are never going to get solved on this board. It is most amusing that about every three weeks we have to rehash the ssdd. As for challenging someone leaving the head without washing their hands, how do you know they aren't going out the door to squirt their sanitizing gel?? Sort of jumping to conclusions aren't you? Many of the folks argue that sanitizer gels are just as good as hand washing, so what difference does it make if they don't wash hands, as long as they use gel, and if you follow them long enough to see if they use gel, then that's just weird, although the courts actually refer to it as stalking.

Hi

Fair point about using gel, unfortunately this should be done prior to leaving the toilet area. You have already contaminated items prior to using gel, ie doors and handles or anything else.

Scotfi

Archived