Rollaway for an adult are they kidding me

tbear2762

I do agree with you that there are more things available now than used to be. However, if something is at an extra cost it should be advertised that way from get go, ie; commercials. I also agree that all ships do it and I am just waiting on someone to challange them in a court of law about it. I personally will not use the "freestyle" fee for service dining rooms just as I do not get a massage, hair do, exocitic coffee or any of the other garbage that they charge for. I would however like to be able to access a price list for all the "extras" in advance so that I would know my budget before I leave. I am so thankful that I do not have children as cruising would definately be out of the question for that reason. Please don't hate me for feeling the way that I do and I will not hate you for be ok with all the add ons maybe you have a bigger budget than I do.

Annette

This to me is troubling because you seem to be attributing things to NCL and Freestyle only, even though RCI (a cruise line we also love) does exactly the same things. As you mention, RCI's commercials are every bit as "misleading" in showing tons of things that are not included, but not mentioning that in the commercials and yet you still think they are a good cruise line. A lawsuit wouldn't pass the laugh test: It's advertising and they are not required to be "precise" in that way.

Are you angry with RCI because they also charge for "the other garbage" and everything else you list? Are you upset with RCI because they do not provide a "price list" for you to access so that you can "know" your budget in advance? (BTW, we always "know" our budget and base our expenses on it, rather than tailoring our budget to the extras or other costs.)

As for tipping, more and more cruise lines are going to automatic service charges. If you select My Time Dining on RCI, you must pay your tips in advance in a way similar, but not identical, to NCL. If you get crappy service on any cruise line, you should address it immediately, rather than fuming and then withholding tips. Sometimes people make honest mistakes; sometimes crew members need more training or an "attitude adjustment" or even disciplinary action, but their supervisors/superiors cannot take care of problems they do not know exist.

In any case, you seem more than willing to be happy with RCI doing and saying essentially exactly what NCL does. But when it's NCL, it makes you angry. That's why I think you should cancel your NCL cruise and book with a cruise line that you prefer, regardless of the fact that the "nickel and diming" is virtually identical.

As others have written, this recommendation is in no way based on "hating" you or anyone else. It is in no way intended to somehow keep you away from NCL. It simply seems to me that you are already so upset and angry with NCL that you will have difficulty enjoying yourself. That's no way to spend a vacation, cruise or otherwise.

beachchick

Very well said and that is what I have planned to do ever since I booked the cruise. I do plan to go, I do plan to get off the ship at least twice once at Great Stirrup Cay and once in Belize to snorkle. My children have been told already that shore excursions are on them if they choose to do so as well as their on board account. I WILL have a great time as I totally love cruising. To be exact my DD is somewhat angry at me because after seeing that beautiful carribean sea the beaches in NC and SC just don't seem to have the same allure. They are nasty, the water is dirty and the surf will not even let you stand up at times. I also love the "romance" of a ship even though I am a widow. I love getting dressed up as I have never had the occasion to do so in my real life with the exception of my second wedding which was one of the greatest days of my life. I also enjoy the shows emmensly. I thought that I had stated that a few post back so for those that may have missed it I am going to take my cruise and I am going to enjoy it.

Hi Annette,

Just so you'll know (and your family can budget), Belize is a tender port. There's no beaches that you can go to for snorkeling in Belize City (where the tenders will take guests). NCL offers a Shark Ray Alley all day snorkeling excursion as well as a Barrier Reef catamaran snorkeling experience. As you probably know from RCI, these excursions are not inexpensive. I just looked them up for you on NCL's website and they are $70-100+ pp. There are also private tours that you can arrange, so you might start looking into that. If you get involved with your roll call, sometimes small groups form and you can save a little $ that way.

As for the private island, another poster mentioned the weather factor. Quite often the ship simply cannot have the tenders running due to bad weather. There are no refunds when that happens, even when it causes disappointment.

For snorkeling on GSC, you can take all your own equipment along (we do) but there is a charge for the obligatory snorkeling vest (not sure but something like $6pp - someone else can tell you exactly). If you don't have your own stuff, NCL charges $29pp for equipment (including the vest). There is some OK snorkeling out near the rocks but watch out for jellyfish.:eek:

No question Belize will offer the better snorkeling.

Just don't want your children to be surprised by any of these charges.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

"vacation to beat all other" and phrases like "vacation of a lifetime" always raise a red flag to me.

Are you expecting too much?

Almost everyone who sets their expectations that high get disappointed. And per your posts you already are worried about what you are getting.

Please, remember that no vacaton is perfect and 99 percent of it depends on you how positive you are especially when things change or go wrong. Then maybe all vacations will be great! Good Luck!!

• Administrators

I'm really surprised to see the words "abuse," "insensitive," and "mean" on this thread. I haven't seen that at all (and I just finished reading the entire thread), and I feel badly that the OP has taken it that way.

I was 100% sincere in my first post urging the OP to cancel this cruise and book with a line she feels she will enjoy. None of her posts since then have changed the advice I would give her if she were my friend or relative saying the things she's said on this thread. I think the OP should spend her hard-earned money on a vacation she will enjoy, and I've seen lots of red flags about whether that will happen on this cruise.

Someone else summed it up as the OP believing she's "settling" for NCL when she'd really like to sail RCI, and that's how it seems to me, too. At the same time, I'm one to encourage others to try different cruiselines (because I've sailed lots of them and think they are more alike than different, so having lots of lines you like gives you lots of options). However, for that to work, one has to have an open mind, and purposefully avoid spending the cruise thinking "well, on the other cruiseline it would have worked THIS way." Sometimes different is better. :)

Anyway, I wish the OP a great vacation.

I just finished reading the whole thread, start to finish. My thoughts are that a lot of people started reading and found something they wanted to comment on right then, so instead of reading the rest of the thread to see what the OP and others may have posted, they just went ahead and commented. In many cases, the issue that they were commenting on had already been resolved or beaten to death with later posts.

I think the OP has gotten everything all figured out and is looking forward to her cruise. I hope she has a great time!!:)

At least OP came here FIRST - before her cruise and not AFTER.

And she kept a dialogue going. Which lots don't do.

She at least is prepared. A lot of people go on their cruise and then feel blindsided. Information is the key.

Aside from the daily service charge, one can enjoy the meals included and just finding a deck chair to feel the sea breeze. Anything extra is just that, extra. I would trade my desk and computer for that right now in a hearbeat (well, ok, throw in the butler, concierce and Cagney's and I am a happy camper).

Happy cruising, Annette.

At least OP came here FIRST - before her cruise and not AFTER.

And she kept a dialogue going. Which lots don't do.

She at least is prepared. A lot of people go on their cruise and then feel blindsided. Information is the key.

Absolutely and I give her a lot of credit for that - which is probably why most people were pretty patient.

I just finished reading the whole thread, start to finish. My thoughts are that a lot of people started reading and found something they wanted to comment on right then, so instead of reading the rest of the thread to see what the OP and others may have posted, they just went ahead and commented. In many cases, the issue that they were commenting on had already been resolved or beaten to death with later posts.

I think the OP has gotten everything all figured out and is looking forward to her cruise. I hope she has a great time!!:)

You are most correct. I have spoken with NCL and the bed issue has been solved. All the other things were just comments that yes apply to all lines. It was one of those ok I am dealing with these things and now comes a straw to break the camels back thing. After reading my original post some of the thing very well could have come across in a way not intended. I am a price shopper, but at the same time have the motto that any crusie is better than no cruise. Yes I have done RCCL twice and yes I enjoyed them. One my last I went outside of the cruises and set up my own excursions and yes I saved a good deal of money that way. I am already shopping the shark ray alley and am aware that it will probably cost a minimum of 100.00 no matter how I do it. Also shopping Roatan zip lines for my children which will cost them about the same and in Costa Maya we plan to do the Ruins but haven't gotten to that port yet. I don't go on a cruise blind as some say. I have a spread sheet and put prices of all the different ships and different destinations and from there a weigh the benefits vs. the price. No I don't necessarily book the cheapest line if that were the case I would be on Carnival which everybody knows is the bargain line. I do have dreams as I am sure you all have. I want to do Alaska but that doesn't seem to be on my radar as I am in NC and airfare would be more than the cruise it's self. I do resent all the people that are insisting that I cancel my cruise or that I have said that only NCL has these charges because that is not even what I said. I do understand that they could not possibly tell everything on a commercial that is at an extra cost but it could be added to all of their websites as most people now days can refer to the internet for that information. Since they don't I am a member of CC where I had hoped to be able to find out about the things that are at an extra charge because each line is different and what some offer free others charge for. Instead of that I have been yelled at and continously told to cancel my ressie. If you are so passionate about NCL then why aren't you telling me how grand NCL is. I personally would love to sail one of the truly elegant lines that is more like the cruises of old but again I have to do what I can do. I look so forward to the MDR as I think that is one of the only things left that really capture the feeling of the old cruises. I am at the point of rambling so I will close but I do hope that you have got a feel for the fact that I am going to cruise with NCL for several reasons convience, ports of call, what is offered on the ship, to experience freestyle and yes price. I have done my research.

just so you are forewarned...the MDRs (on NCL) don't have the dance/singing waiters...parades through the dining room or such.

since it's more like a regular restaurant, with people being seated and finishing their meals at different time..there is no way for the aisles to be cleared for the dance/singing waiter productions the other cruiselines have.

OP.. I don't know if this will help you at all, but when we first booked NCL we had just been on a RCCL cruise. Honestly I was so worried about us booking a "discount" cruiseline. I was actually sick to my tummy on our way to the pier. I thought it would be like going from shopping at Macy's to shopping at Walmart. No insult to anyone who shops at Walmart as I am going there myself this weekend, just using it as a comparison. I though.. OK.. we got a cruise for a lot less than we paid for RCCL, and it will be low grade every thing.. the ship..the food.. the staff.. etc. I can tell you from the moment we stepped onboard I never looked back and never felt like we were not getting a great vacation aboard a beautiful ship. I do understand if you have some hesitation... but I believe you will be surprised at just how much alike they both are, RCCL and NCL.

. . . when we first booked NCL we had just been on a RCCL cruise. Honestly I was so worried about us booking a "discount" cruiseline. I was actually sick to my tummy on our way to the pier. I thought it would be like going from shopping at Macy's to shopping at Walmart. No insult to anyone who shops at Walmart as I am going there myself this weekend, just using it as a comparison.
Terry, this is so funny! I posted on the Celebrity board yesterday that I am having some qualms about cruising with Celebrity since I love NCL so much. We all have the same concerns about trying something new, no matter whether you consider it a downgrade or an upgrade or whatever. :D

It seems obvious to me that she has adult children, who have the ability to pay for any extras, rather than dependant (young) children and that is what she means!

I have been reading all of this thread. It is a bit like the TV soaps, you know the storyline (comments) are ridiculous and wonder why some people go on and on, but it is compulsive reading.

Give Annette a break, and leave her alone.

Annette, stop responding to the comments, some are designed simply to get you going!!

I was not posting to " get Annette going ". I just was confused re: if there were 2 different posters as these posts have gone on ad nauseum. Yes, I could just stop reading them. I really don't think the majority of posters have any intention of being mean etc.

Tbear, the one thing that resonates most with me after reading this entire thread is your statement about your mom wanting you to take this trip. Fulfill your mother's wish because I am sure you will find all the subtle reminders of her while cruising, especially on NCL. She will be within the wind that blows through your hair as you find all the ways that freestyle cruising is most relaxing.

My best memories about cruising are all the times in port I just walked around and talked to the locals, or walked around and window shopped, or layed out on deck all day staring at the ocean forever, or dancing all night in the disco, all as I drank the ship water in a re-usable plastic bottle. Take moments to talk to the crew, take moments to talk to passengers, take moments with each of your children, and take moments for yourself. Lastly, remember your loved ones lost and cherish their wisdom.

If all of the above fails, and you are not having the vacation you hoped for, then do what my sister who is on disability does...charge it! In the end, they can't take what you don't have.

Good luck on your cruise. I am rooting for you!

coka

Archived