A Happy GTY cabin story...with no upgrade

cattolica

Since there has been a very long thread about booking a GTY cabin and the disappointment involved, I thought I would post my experience. We received no upgrade. I just last week booked us on the Sapphire Mexico for Dec 2009. As always I booked a GTY cabin, this time, in the BC category. I could have chosen a specific cabin but I just don't. Within a few days we were assigned our cabin in the BC category. Perfectly happy since we ended up very mid-ship (B432). The moral of the story is........if you can't be happy with your cabin assignment don't "throw the dice" and go GTY. Upgrades are always "gravy" and never expected. Sure we would have been very appreciative if we had received an upgrade, but that is the chance you take when going GTY. We have only gotten an upgrade once and that was from a BF to a BA, which was very nice. Other than that one time we have always ended up in the category that was originally booked.

Happy sailing to all who have a cruise booked.

I also read the thread where the OP was not happy with the GTY assignment, but didn't respond because everyone else had already said what I would have said.

When we cruise with our friends, we reserve specific balcony cabins so that we can be next to each other. For our Caribbean cruise in November, there were only GTY cabins available in the balcony category. We discovered that the GTY for minisuite AD category wasn't much more expensive than the GTY balcony. We had never taken a GTY before, but we figured, rather than risking getting a location we didn't like for the balcony cabins, at least we'd like the minisuite, even if we didn't like the location we were assigned!

Our cabin assignments came through within about a week of booking and we were lucky enough that both cabin assignments were AA. However we were as far apart as possible within the category. Our bookings had been linked together by our TA, but that didn't (obviously) guarantee that we were given cabins near each other.

However, I noticed that there were available cabins next to us within the AA category and we asked our TA if it would be possible to move our friends to one of these cabins. Princess obliged - but we would still have been fine if it had not been possible.

For us, the GTY worked well and we are very happy with the results.

Since there has been a very long thread about booking a GTY cabin and the disappointment involved, I thought I would post my experience. We received no upgrade. I just last week booked us on the Sapphire Mexico for Dec 2009. As always I booked a GTY cabin, this time, in the BC category. I could have chosen a specific cabin but I just don't. Within a few days we were assigned our cabin in the BC category. Perfectly happy since we ended up very mid-ship (B432). The moral of the story is........if you can't be happy with your cabin assignment don't "throw the dice" and go GTY. Upgrades are always "gravy" and never expected. Sure we would have been very appreciative if we had received an upgrade, but that is the chance you take when going GTY. We have only gotten an upgrade once and that was from a BF to a BA, which was very nice. Other than that one time we have always ended up in the category that was originally booked.

I appreciate your post, but just wanted to remind you that if you're happy with that cabin, you better have your TA change your booking ASAP so that they don't move you out of it. A Guaranteed category means you can be changed literally up to the very last minute and although it doesn't happen often with Princess, it still could. Your sail date is still pretty far away and there's a chance you'll be moved to another cabin. :)

My wife and I have always booked GTY (however on the next cruise we have selected our cabin to be accross from other family) and have always done it with an inside cabin. My DW likes the darkness to sleep and I only sleep and shower in the room. We have not had a bad cabin yet and we have been under the pool, deck disco and at the bottom of the ship. Yes, we have had some noise but it has never been bad and its always been very muted. Hey I am on the ship and have spent as little as possible! On the next cruise I am a little bumped because I know right will I will be and have no surpises, and no chance of the really cool up up grade.

John

AMEN to that!

NOT sure why people just can't be HAPPY period wherever they are on a ship! I mean aren't we all on vacation?

See your from the So Cal are too. Then were neighbors. San Dimas is where my busness is and West Covina is where home is.

Guess I forgot to add that I always book with Princess. We really don't care where we are on the ship, we leave our booking open for an upgrade.......hey, you never know, maybe someday the computer might pick us for a mini suite or a suite! :-)

I appreciate your post, but just wanted to remind you that if you're happy with that cabin, you better have your TA change your booking ASAP so that they don't move you out of it. A Guaranteed category means you can be changed literally up to the very last minute and although it doesn't happen often with Princess, it still could. Your sail date is still pretty far away and there's a chance you'll be moved to another cabin. :)

AMEN to that!

NOT sure why people just can't be HAPPY period wherever they are on a ship! I mean aren't we all on vacation?

I agree. Sometimes it seems people have forgotten they are meant to enjoy themselves and want to nit pick everything to death. What is wrong with relaxing!

We booked a gty for our cruise in October. We normally always book an inside II on the Lido deck. But, because we booked so late, all of the Lido deck cabins were taken. So, we booked an II gty hoping we just might still get a Lido deck cabin. Princess had assigned us a cabin on the Riviera deck. No biggie for us, it's only one deck down. We were totally happy with this assigned cabin.

I did inquire about the possibilities that we may be moved again, and was told it was possible. But, was also told to keep checking the availabilities around final payment. Well, final payment is coming up, and I checked at least twice daily. (Thanks for the tip, Toto)

Well, to my surprise, I looked today and saw one available II inside open on the Lido deck. Boy, you bet I called my TA as soon as I could, and voila! we are now on the Lido deck. I also had them mark it as "no upgrade".

Will we book gty's again? Probably not, since we like the Lido deck. But, if all were taken, we would do gty again.

Just call me a happy cruiser!!!:D

Karen

Gerig, you still don't have your assignment?

Looks like we'll find out when we get to the dock. We wanted to email my family all the cabin numbers - but it looks like we'll email the known seven cabins and be penciling in five unknown cabin numbers at the dock.

It won't be long now - 21 days and we'll have an assignment. Don't upgrade me just give me a cabin.

Archived