Just back from Summit - not for us!

joolsb

We have sailed on Celebrity three times. Remembering the wonderful service and even more wonderful food from our first two Celebrity cruises, we booked the Summit this past April. The entertainment was okay and the service was still good, but the food was terrible...not much flavor and the selections were not good at all. We were very disappointed.

We've cruised enough to know that not every experience is the same, but usually the quality stays the same....I don't know what happened, but it wasn't what we remembered and expected from Celebrity.

eandj

As I said previously, it was 6027, but not Concierge Class.

The shuttles in question were $20 per person in Venice (although you could walk 10 minutes to Piazza Roma and catch a waterbus for a couple of Euros), and $12 per person in Livorno, where you didn't really have much choice, for a journey which took only about 5/10 minutes - the most expensive bus journey we've ever taken!!

We"ll be doing this cruise on Summit - Barcelona to Venice in October. Where does that shuttle in Livorno take you? We want to catch a cab to the train station to take a train to Florence. Can we get a cab at the pier?

We have sailed on Celebrity three times. Remembering the wonderful service and even more wonderful food from our first two Celebrity cruises, we booked the Summit this past April. The entertainment was okay and the service was still good, but the food was terrible...not much flavor and the selections were not good at all. We were very disappointed.

We've cruised enough to know that not every experience is the same, but usually the quality stays the same....I don't know what happened, but it wasn't what we remembered and expected from Celebrity.

Since RCI purchased Celebrity some think that there seems to have been a dumbing down to meet the mass market of RCI. We usually only cruise with Celebrity and just this summer had the chance to do a short RCI cruise. The service and food cannot compare to what we find on Celebrity - even now. I have always found the staff on X to be helpfull and the service very good. If you do not see it on the menu ask for it . If it is not up to your expectations ask to see the maitre D- that is what they are there for. If you want what was was served last night the waiter should get it for you and will . Celebrity, for us has always been about service and a notch above the usual. I still think it is. This fall will be our 8th cruise on Celebrity and I am sure we will go again.

We"ll be doing this cruise on Summit - Barcelona to Venice in October. Where does that shuttle in Livorno take you? We want to catch a cab to the train station to take a train to Florence. Can we get a cab at the pier?

The Livorno shuttle takes you to the town square, where you can catch a No. 1 bus to the train station. Very easy to do.

There were cabs available at the pier, but as with most of the taxis at ports, they were only interested in taking people for a whole/half day tour to Florence/Pisa etc. Running us to the station might have made them miss out on a much larger fare!

I've been on Summit twice. The first time was my first X cruise. I had very high expectations which were dashed, a let down (nice cruise, but...). The M-class has no 'Oh Wow!' atrium and neither time I cruised Summit was she emaculately maintained. That said, the second cruise was one of my most enjoyable and I was very impressed.

X hyper-loyalists cultivate a 'superiority' disposition amongst themselves which is sort of funny if you consider it over compensation for inferiority (a complex). X does some things really well and others not so well (even aggravatingly bad). When things are firing on all cylinders X offers an extremely polished very high service experience. When things unravel, they're clueless. They might be the last cruiseline I'd want to be with in a serious maritime crisis (fire, etc.)

I agree that the big lines are more similar than dissimilar as it must be when you are hosting 2,000-3,000 pax.

Interesting...something I had never thought of. I think you raise a good point that perhaps it is vacation elitism that was operating here...I donno but it is a possibility. Having been a long time educator, I often am unimpressed by the educational elitism that prevails among those who think they are so much smarter than everyone else when they don't have enough common sense to think their way out of a paper bag. What makes me think this elitism is exclusive to the educational sphere? ... perhaps it is pure marketing and people who buy into this similar to those who purchase designer items and spend more money thinking they got something better when the item, in all reality, was no better than its knock off look alike.

Something to think about. All I know is, our friends that cruised with us on the Summit had the same things to say as Jeffrey and Cheryl. Anyone that I have spoken to that were on the July 9, 2009 sailing, thus far, did not come away giving X a perfect score or anything remotely close to such. We all didn't feel extremely disappointed, nor were we in any way impressed. It was a nice cruise, but it was not any better than other cruises I have been on and in some ways it did not live up to them in terms of food, entertainment, and overall ship board ambiance.

Gina

Interesting...something I had never thought of. I think you raise a good point that perhaps it is vacation elitism that was operating here...I donno but it is a possibility. Having been a long time educator, I often am unimpressed by the educational elitism that prevails among those who think they are so much smarter than everyone else when they don't have enough common sense to think their way out of a paper bag. What makes me think this elitism is exclusive to the educational sphere? ... perhaps it is pure marketing and people who buy into this similar to those who purchase designer items and spend more money thinking they got something better when the item, in all reality, was no better than its knock off look alike.

Something to think about. All I know is, our friends that cruised with us on the Summit had the same things to say as Jeffrey and Cheryl. Anyone that I have spoken to that were on the July 9, 2009 sailing, thus far, did not come away giving X a perfect score or anything remotely close to such. We all didn't feel extremely disappointed, nor were we in any way impressed. It was a nice cruise, but it was not any better than other cruises I have been on and in some ways it did not live up to them in terms of food, entertainment, and overall ship board ambiance.

Gina

Very interesting theory that makes a lot of sense.

You can certainly do your own thing in Venice - although you will have to walk to reach alternative transport. In Livorno, although Celebrity claimed there would be taxis available, there were not always any there, and you were not allowed to walk through the port on your own. I think if you were leaving the ship very early there would be more chance of getting a taxi.

You can get a taxi for abot 20 Euros for up to 8 people to the train station.

Gina

For some reason, people think and EXPECT that Celebrity is a luxury or premium line. If you go on the HAL, RCL or Princess boards, you will see the same discussions re expectations... and those being met or disappointingly not.

Each ship/line has their followers for many reasons. I can remember being so in awe the first time we cruised in 1990 on the Majesty. The brass and glass and towering foyer. We didn't even realize the rooms were smaller than most, at that time. We had a great set of waiters who helped entertain and serve us at every meal. (We still laugh at all the dining room antics that went on.) Since we had no expectations, and were traveling with 18 family members, all we had when we disembarked were wonderful memories. The key is...we had no expectations and were with people we loved and enjoyed being with.

Now, almost 20 years later, my DH and I prefer X or other "midsize" ships because we aren't in awe anymore of the ritz and glitz and crowds on the megaships. I guess if everyone did their research and chose the line that fits their "style", KNOWING... no one line or ship will offer PERFECTION especially if you are LOOKING for failing areas, there will be more realistic expectations and less dissapointments.

Oh, if we could improve X there are things we would change for sure. But for now, that is one line we still enjoy. As is HAL and Princess and RCL and Carnival and NCl for THEIR followers.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with the original op in that although there is no glaring reason but, this was not our favorite cruise in terms of the ship. Having just returned from a 12 day aboard the Summit Med cruise, the ship left alot to be desired. This is our 5th cruise and our first with Celebrity. I guess the main disappointment was the food. Although it was beautifully presented, it lacked taste and variety. Our family all agreed that the food aboard the Crown Princess was by far superior. The amount we paid for this cruise was about 25% higher than previous cruises and our agent led us to believe that this line was "a step above"....The itinerary was excellent, which was our main objective, but we were not wowed in any way by anything superior to our first cruise aboard a Carnival ship. In fact, the service was on par, and the food aboard Carnival I would say was better. We also took our family of 6 to the Normandie restaurant (looking for a 5 star meal) and were disappointed. It was no better than the MDR. I think next time we'll save a few dollars and go back to Princess.....

In fact, the service was on par, and the food aboard Carnival I would say was better.

I totally agree and have stated that here on this board but the loyalist don't want to hear it. (I was flamed after our Century cruise for the above comment) Mainly because they have no desire to ever sail a Carnival ship so they don't want to face the fact that things might be done better on other cruise lines. When you are not "loyal" to one line you go with an open mind.

We were both in AFT at the very back. I was on deck 9 and I think Cherly you were on 7. The all have and overhang and there is no sun. the rooms and the balcony were larger than normal and I would book back here again!

I have sailed in an Aft CC cabin on M-Class ships every January for the past seven years. Deck 7 or 8. (I won't sail on Deck 9, right under the aft cafe.) The deep verandahs are partially covered. I have done plenty of sunbathing while lying on the lounge in the outer part of the verandah. When there's too much sun, one can retreat to the inner part of the verandah for protection. Also, when docked in port, one might get all sun deep inside, or no sun anywhere, depending on the sun location during the day.

As they say, an attached photo is worth a thousand words! (You can see how deeply back in the verandah I am, in order to have my face in the shade) ;)

DSC06417.jpg.97362b04c1383ff3722df4b37cb716c1.jpg

I totally agree and have stated that here on this board but the loyalist don't want to hear it. (I was flamed after our Century cruise for the above comment) Mainly because they have no desire to ever sail a Carnival ship so they don't want to face the fact that things might be done better on other cruise lines. When you are not "loyal" to one line you go with an open mind.

Well I guess the loyalists can continue to pay extra for what is advertised as a "step above cruise line" that doesn't deliver a step above (IMHO). There is something to be said for loyalty (when deserving), but from my experience there was absolutely nothing that stood out as superior. I am sure the loyalists will agree that Celebrity charges more that most per person (perhaps not as much as a "luxury line") so I guess you have to ask yourself....What is it I am paying a premium for??? I can't for the life of me figure that out. My mistake was that I took our agent at her word. I should have asked her to spell out what "a step above" really meant.

I haven't really been following this thread so perhaps I should not speak. Value is in the eye of the beholder. However, pricing for the cruises I have looked at does not really seem to be above Royal, or Carnival for that matter. The current cruise we will be going on is $849 for 10 days for a balcony. Perhaps you can find other sailings on other cruises for a little less, however it seems that this pricing is def. in the ballpark of NCL, Royal and Carnival. When I priced HAL and others, they were higher, in fact, Royal was usually higher than Celebrity for similar cabin (when I was looking). Again, just one person's opinion.

Jeffrey,

I agree, if I were booking a cruise and the price consisted of a huge disparity between Celebrity and RCCl, I would book RCCL. There is no considerable benefit to going with Celebrity. Although this is my first Celebrity cruise, I believe they either cut back dramatically or were overrated to begin with. That said, knowing what i know, I would book an RCCL cruise over Celebrity any day. They did not lose a customer, rather they did not convince me that I should be a loyal Celebrity customer.

Enough said.

G

Yep, all cruise lines have cut back, especially in the past two years. Your cruise list shows that you sailed on RCCL 8 years ago, and no cruise line since 2007. It would be interesting to see how you would compare RCCL now to RCCL in 2001, and how you would compare each of the cruise lines you sailed on more than two years ago if you sailed on them today.

FWIW , we sailed on Caribbean Princess Sept 08. We enjoyed our cruise, but they did two things horribly bad. The buffets were always terribly over crowded, and silverware was sometimes hard to come by. They had a theater that seats 900 people on a ship that carries 3100 passengers. You had to be there 45-60 minutes early to get a seat. 30 minutes early to sit on the stairs. The pizza was top notch!:)

As you say "they did not lose a customer, but they did not convince me that I should be a loyal Princess customer". We would sail with them again, albeit only on a smaller ship.

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't really been following this thread so perhaps I should not speak. Value is in the eye of the beholder. However, pricing for the cruises I have looked at does not really seem to be above Royal, or Carnival for that matter. The current cruise we will be going on is $849 for 10 days for a balcony. Perhaps you can find other sailings on other cruises for a little less, however it seems that this pricing is def. in the ballpark of NCL, Royal and Carnival. When I priced HAL and others, they were higher, in fact, Royal was usually higher than Celebrity for similar cabin (when I was looking). Again, just one person's opinion.

Wow, you did get quite a deal...I paid 3 times that amount (Cdn)...are we talking about a Med cruise? Celebrity was on average 25-40% higher than all other similar sailings...perhaps it is just a really good marketing scheme, but alot of other cruisers have been led to believe that Celebrity is smething more than it is IMHO...but, opinions vary I'm sure.

Archived