Just back from Summit - not for us!

joolsb

I have just submitted my review of this cruise (Venice-Barcelona, 9th July), so it should be available some time soon.

Apologies to all you Summit fans, but I'm afraid it wasn't a very good experience overall for us.

Will be happy to answer any questions (and I promise I will try to be objective!).

Apologies to all you Summit fans, but I'm afraid it wasn't a very good experience overall for us.

Will be happy to answer any questions (and I promise I will try to be objective!).

OK, fair enough.

But, for purposes of this thread, would you care to outline the problems. That way we won't have to wait for the review to post.

Thank you.

John - not a problem.

Briefly: Our embarkation experience was bad (we were late arrivals). The ship overall looks jaded and well in need of upgrading. Our stateroom was worse than substandard and we ended up having to have some smelly rotten carpet replaced as well as our leaky shower retiled and regrouted. Our balcony furniture looked like stuff that had been removed from elsewhere on the ship, just to fill in the space (including an unusable wobbly table).

The food in the main dining room was very disappointing - bland and uninspiring - and the Normandie although slightly better was probably not worth the extra expense.

There were aspects which we did enjoy - the Aqua Spa cafe (although again it is badly in need of upgrading), the pool deck, the theatre entertainment. Staff on the whole were good, although our waiter in the mdr was poor (not that we saw much of him!). We also enjoyed the ports we called at, and the weather was great!

In general it was not our best cruise experience - and certainly not what we expected for the money we paid out and the information we had gathered before we went. We also felt that Celebrity were all out to get extra dollars from us left right and centre (our main gripe being the cost of shuttle buses).

Sorry - not so brief, but once I get started ....!!

John - not a problem.

Briefly: Our embarkation experience was bad (we were late arrivals). The ship overall looks jaded and well in need of upgrading. Our stateroom was worse than substandard and we ended up having to have some smelly rotten carpet replaced as well as our leaky shower retiled and regrouted. Our balcony furniture looked like stuff that had been removed from elsewhere on the ship, just to fill in the space (including an unusable wobbly table).

The food in the main dining room was very disappointing - bland and uninspiring - and the Normandie although slightly better was probably not worth the extra expense.

There were aspects which we did enjoy - the Aqua Spa cafe (although again it is badly in need of upgrading), the pool deck, the theatre entertainment. Staff on the whole were good, although our waiter in the mdr was poor (not that we saw much of him!). We also enjoyed the ports we called at, and the weather was great!

In general it was not our best cruise experience - and certainly not what we expected for the money we paid out and the information we had gathered before we went. We also felt that Celebrity were all out to get extra dollars from us left right and centre (our main gripe being the cost of shuttle buses).

I am sorry you had a bad experience. We got back from the Summit on July 9th, and had the trip of a lifetime. Our cabin was in great shape with no problems. I am sure your cabin situation was very disappointing.

The only problem I saw with the ship overall was the soft spot coming out of the lounge. Otherwise I thought it looked great, and people were always sprucing it up.

As far as the food, except for one or two meals, I thought the food was very good. I ordered several fish dishes, and they were delicious. I had been worried about the food, because on our previous Solstice cruise, I had been unimpressed, but I found these meals to be much better.

I also found the staff to be extremely warm, and very friendly. Even the senior staff seemed more approachable.

Our last 2 sets of waiters were not so great, so it a pleasure to have attentive service.

I miss being on this cruise!!!!

John - not a problem.

What was your stateroom number? --we are looking forward to Summit to Bermuda in 2010--booked based upon the itin ---

Does anyone know if Summit will have any refurb before 9/2010?

Hi hcat - it was 6027 - one of the "sweet 16" on the Penthouse Deck - but really the extra balcony space, although nice wasn't much good without suitable furniture to utilise it (we had 3 (unmatched) upright chairs and a very wobbly side table).

What was your stateroom number? --we are looking forward to Summit to Bermuda in 2010--booked based upon the itin ---

Does anyone know if Summit will have any refurb before 9/2010?

It was 8172, which was an aft cabin - unfortunately I believe they are now charging more for an aft, but I don't know how much.

eandj

As I said previously, it was 6027, but not Concierge Class.

The shuttles in question were $20 per person in Venice (although you could walk 10 minutes to Piazza Roma and catch a waterbus for a couple of Euros), and $12 per person in Livorno, where you didn't really have much choice, for a journey which took only about 5/10 minutes - the most expensive bus journey we've ever taken!!

Thank you for the information, we are sailing on the Summit on the 14th August, this is our first cruise with Celebrity, do hope that we won't be disappointed.

Just wondering where the ship docked in Venice? $20 for transport seems crazy!!!

I see that you are also from the UK, how did you find the prices on the ship for drinks etc? The exchange rate is a bit of problem these days.

It's so hard to know what to believe/expect when the reviews run the full spectrum from awful, to mediocre to fantastic. We just booked Summit for next March because of its itinerary and the fact we could get a CC cabin on the Penthouse Deck with extra balcony space and full-sized loungers. Our travel agent said that particular cabin has upgraded decor and in his opinion is one of the best CC cabins on the ship. Hopefully he hasn't set our expectations too high!

We've only been on one other cruise before (Celebrity Century in 2005) and weren't really that impressed (but we had only an oceanview cabin in a poor location of the ship, and the itinerary wasn't great). We're hoping this one will be a much better experience-- sorry yours was not. I too would be very unimpressed by dated decor and a ship in need of significant updating and repairs!

Just wondering where the ship docked in Venice? $20 for transport seems crazy!!!

I see that you are also from the UK, how did you find the prices on the ship for drinks etc? The exchange rate is a bit of problem these days.

Ship was docked in main cruise terminal - the Celebrity transfer took you straight to St Marks Square, but at $60 per round trip for 3 of us it was not an option! I think our all day waterbus ticket cost around 16 Euros (don't quote me!) and we could get on and off as many boats as we wanted to all day. All we had to do was walk 10 minutes to Piazza Roma and hop on an ACTV waterbus.

We did find the drinks fairly pricey - off the top of my head I think about $9 for a martini/cocktail - plus of course 15% service added on to that. The bonus of Celebrity of course is that you can help yourself to soft drinks and ice all day from the dispensers, and we made a lot of use of this facility when out on deck!

It's so hard to know what to believe/expect when the reviews run the full spectrum from awful, to mediocre to fantastic. We just booked Summit for next March because of its itinerary and the fact we could get a CC cabin on the Penthouse Deck with extra balcony space and full-sized loungers. Our travel agent said that particular cabin has upgraded decor and in his opinion is one of the best CC cabins on the ship. Hopefully he hasn't set our expectations too high!

We've only been on one other cruise before (Celebrity Century in 2005) and weren't really that impressed (but we had only an oceanview cabin in a poor location of the ship, and the itinerary wasn't great). We're hoping this one will be a much better experience-- sorry yours was not. I too would be very unimpressed by dated decor and a ship in need of significant updating and repairs!

Mykel - I'm sure the CC cabins are of a better standard than the one we had (although personally I feel that if you choose not to pay extra for Concierge service that shouldn't mean that you get sub-standard accommodation!) - but when you book a "deluxe oceanview" as we did, and you are not paying "bargain basement prices", you kind of expect to get what you paid for - and this certainly wasn't my idea of "deluxe"!!

I think if you have booked based on the itinerary then you should keep that as your main priority! In spite of the negatives of this cruise, we loved all the ports, and although disappointed in the standards of our food and accommodation we still enjoyed our holiday.

Ship was docked in main cruise terminal - the Celebrity transfer took you straight to St Marks Square, but at $60 per round trip for 3 of us it was not an option! I think our all day waterbus ticket cost around 16 Euros (don't quote me!) and we could get on and off as many boats as we wanted to all day. All we had to do was walk 10 minutes to Piazza Roma and hop on an ACTV waterbus.

We did find the drinks fairly pricey - off the top of my head I think about $9 for a martini/cocktail - plus of course 15% service added on to that. The bonus of Celebrity of course is that you can help yourself to soft drinks and ice all day from the dispensers, and we made a lot of use of this facility when out on deck!

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience....I know that after a year of planning (in our case) that would be very disappointing)...we are on the Summit Aug 14th-26th (Barcelona-Venice) and we are a family of 6....so shuttle costs, if required, will be quite pricey...is is possible to for-go the shuttles and chose a taxi?

we are on the Summit Aug 14th-26th (Barcelona-Venice) and we are a family of 6....so shuttle costs, if required, will be quite pricey...is is possible to for-go the shuttles and chose a taxi?

You can certainly do your own thing in Venice - although you will have to walk to reach alternative transport. In Livorno, although Celebrity claimed there would be taxis available, there were not always any there, and you were not allowed to walk through the port on your own. I think if you were leaving the ship very early there would be more chance of getting a taxi.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience....I know that after a year of planning (in our case) that would be very disappointing)...we are on the Summit Aug 14th-26th (Barcelona-Venice) and we are a family of 6....so shuttle costs, if required, will be quite pricey...is is possible to for-go the shuttles and chose a taxi?

The shuttles are an expensive convenience, they are certainly not required.

Our route was also Barcelona to Venice - I am sure you will not be disappointed!

Europe public transport system is awesome. And they have these passes either for the bus or metro for like 10 trips so you get your money's worth. Check out the port boards and look up your stops I am sure there is oodles of information for how to get around.

Europe public transport system is awesome. And they have these passes either for the bus or metro for like 10 trips so you get your money's worth. .

I don't know that its common knowledge, but in Barcelona particularly, it is possible to buy a 10-trip ticket, and for you all to use it! Simply keep passing the ticket back to the next person as you walk through the barrier. This is not illegal, and makes a lot of sense! Just make sure that the last person remembers to bring the ticket through with them!!

I was on the June 3rd Barcelona-Venice Summit cruise and it was the best cruise yet of my 10. I had sailed Summit 6 yrs ago to Alaska. The ship seemed fine to me, no problems that I could see. I was traveling with another recent widow and we had been upgraded from OV to CC at time of final payment. Neither of us had even had a balcony when cruising with our DHs. It was wonderful!

Food was very good, although I had one beef dish that was kind of tough and my friend had a cod entree that she didn't care for. Out of 12 days worth of meals, that's not a biggie. Service was superb, as usual.

Except for Athens, we took the ship tours and they were very good--worth the extra $$ for us to feel safe and not worry about getting back to the ship on time. The 10 hr. Athens tour was cancelled due to a tour guide strike, so we took the shuttle and did the Acropolis on our own then hopped on a sightseeing bus for 90 min., getting off at our shuttle stop. It actually worked out better than the cancelled tour would have since the extreme heat wiped us out after 4 1/2 hrs, lol.

My cousin and her daughter were on this cruise and they were also wowed by it.

For future Summit cruisers, I would say--No worries! :)

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Med.

We were on the same cruise on deck 3 with a window.Overall, the cruise was great. Didn't like the 845 time for dinner so we mostly had room service( steak each night)

I have been looking for reviews for this cruise from others but cannot locate them. How do I find the reviews?

In 2005, we did a similar cruise on the Brilliance(RCCL) and had planned to do the Brilliance again, but lucked out and got rooms for 1219 + tax pp wheras the Brilliance was 2600+ tax pp.)same category).

I do agree the 20 pp transfer in Venice and the 12 pp in Dubrovnic were a rip off but we did not have to worry about transfers.

I would highly recommend this cruise. We were very pleased. Teddy

To the original poster, just out of curiosity, what other lines have you cruised on in the past? It's unfortunate you didn't enjoy your cruise on Celebrity.

I don't know why knowing what lines we have used in the past would make any difference to our experience, but this was our 9th cruise and we have sailed with P & O, Princess, Costa, Seabourn - and even Ocean Village, so I think we have a fairly good "cross section" of cruising experience to be able to measure the standards we expect and receive (or not!).

It was not my intention in posting here to scaremonger and I apologise to anyone who is worried now about their future cruise. I do believe though that forums like this require all sides to be seen by interested parties, good and bad.

At the end of the day though, of course it is simply my opinion on my particular holiday!

I didn't realize that you could get free soft drinks and ice all day from dispensers. What kind of soft drinks? Can you elaborate please-- this would help my budget-- Thanks

I didn't realize that you could get free soft drinks and ice all day from dispensers. What kind of soft drinks? Can you elaborate please-- this would help my budget-- Thanks

I think the poster was referring to the free juices from the dispensers. Lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, and some other kind of juice. I mixed the lemonade and iced tea, and never needed to buy a soft drink either, but if you want a soft drink (like coca cola) you do have to purchase it.

Archived