Passport issues - Please help

CaribbeanCruisers

I'm sending my mother and her best friend on a western Caribbean cruise aboard the Crown Princess. They sail 11/07/09

We applied for my mom's passport nearly two months ago. She received a letter denying her for her passport because she had submitted a delayed birth certificate.

The birth certificate does indeed have a raised seal. Her BC was delayed because she was born at home in 1942 with nobody present. Her BC was issued years later.

She was born in Missouri but moved to Michigan at the age of two where she currently resides.

The passport agency requested ONE of the following documents:

Baptismal Records

Census Records

School records from elementary school

A signed letter from her pediatrician noting her year of birth.

She was not baptised to her knowledge. All relatives are deceased with the exception of myself and her grandchild. The school she attended no longer exsists. Her pediatrician passed away in the 60's. That leaves us with the Census Records.

We filled out the paper work, paid for expedited service and sent it off. Today the Census bureau contacted her via phone and letter that they have no information on her.

In the meantime, I contacted our local congressman to ask for assistance. A lady in the office has been trying to help but with no luck thus far.

I called Princess today and explained the story. I spoke to multiple people and received multiple answers. That's why I came here - reaching out for HELP!

I told her to go to the SOS tomorrow and apply for an enhanced drivers lincense.

Will she be able to board the ship without any problems with an enhanced drivers lincense and her delayed birth certificate (with a seal)?

My mother is a ball of nerves. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

CC

I'm sending my mother and her best friend on a western Caribbean cruise aboard the Crown Princess. They sail 11/07/09

We applied for my mom's passport nearly two months ago. She received a letter denying her for her passport because she had submitted a delayed birth certificate.

The birth certificate does indeed have a raised seal. Her BC was delayed because she was born at home in 1942 with nobody present. Her BC was issued years later.

She was born in Missouri but moved to Michigan at the age of two where she currently resides.

Baptismal Records

Census Records

She was not baptised to her knowledge. All relatives are deceased with the exception of myself and her grandchild. The school she attended no longer exsists. Her pediatrician passed away in the 60's. That leaves us with the Census Records.

We filled out the paper work, paid for expedited service and sent it off. Today the Census bureau contacted her via phone and letter that they have no information on her.

In the meantime, I contacted our local congressman to ask for assistance. A lady in the office has been trying to help but with no luck thus far.

I called Princess today and explained the story. I spoke to multiple people and received multiple answers. That's why I came here - reaching out for HELP!

I told her to go to the SOS tomorrow and apply for an enhanced drivers lincense.

Will she be able to board the ship without any problems with an enhanced drivers lincense and her delayed birth certificate (with a seal)?

Thank you,

CC

Have you called the Department of State to aske them directly what else you can do? They are really very helpful and may have some other suggestions.

1-877-4-USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778)

TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793

Passport Information is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Speak with a representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., EST, excluding federal holidays.

Have you called the Department of State to aske them directly what else you can do? They are really very helpful and may have some other suggestions.

1-877-4-USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778)

TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793

Passport Information is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Speak with a representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., EST, excluding federal holidays.

Great advice, and probably alot more accurate than the range of answers you might get here. There are more issues than getting back into the US....and they are what is acceptable documentation for the countries you are visiting.

Thank you for the advise so far...

I have in fact been in contact with the Department of State.

They are as stumped as I am. They put in a request to the passport center in Charleston, South Carolina to call me.

They also suggested that I write a letter explaining that I have attempted to gather any and all information they requested and have still come up empty handed.

This is so stressful. I'm actually beginning to worry myself.

My mother will be 68 years old next month and this will be her very first vacation. It means the world to us both.

Any other ideas? Similiar circumstances anyone can share?

Her delayed birth certificate is really hanging us up.

It's difficult to understand that you can live in this country for 68 years, work here, pay taxes, have a valid ss number, drivers license and still be denied a passport. *sigh*

What about the SSA? What did they accept?

She's never had an issue with the SSA. She was issued a ss card in her teens. When she married, applied for Medicare and Social Security she has used her delayed birth certificate, her drivers license and her ss card.

Yes- you absolutely must get this sorted out. Even if Princess made an exception and let her sail- what if, God forbid, something happened to her and she had to fly back to the US. You can not get back into the US without a passport (unless you are sailing on a closed loop cruise).

Courtney first thing - DO NOT STRESS OUT! This will get resolved by the time your Mom sails. You've got a little more than 3 months to go yet. I won't tell you exactly what who will do but it will get taken care of. When my Mom went to get her passport many many years ago she had to obtain a certified copy of her Birth Certificate from the state of IL. Lol-and-behold she discovered that it was issued with a name different than what she had used all her life (as it turns out my grandmother apparently had a change of mind after the BC was filed). So in all actuality she couldn't prove just who she was. Hang in there and do what cactusrose has advised. This will get resolved and your Mom will have a great trip - just don't stress her out or she might change her mind.

Baptismal Records

Census Records

Thank you,

CC

CC - you are doing the right things. Census Bureau, State Department (as suggested by cactusrose), and contacting your congressman.

We had an issue with getting my son's passport and had an expedite status both from State Department and Congress. Things can happen quickly, but sometimes they will seem slow as molasses. I don't think you will find better answers on this board, but we certainly commiserate with you.

On a good note, you may have solved your own problem. My wife and I ran into a similar type of issue, and when we spoke to Princess, they told us that the Enhanced Drivers license is totally acceptable. This is per the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, from US customs and border protection. Hope this helps!!!! ;)

On a good note, you may have solved your own problem. My wife and I ran into a similar type of issue, and when we spoke to Princess, they told us that the Enhanced Drivers license is totally acceptable. This is per the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, from US customs and border protection. Hope this helps!!!! ;)

I'm hoping you are correct. I figured it can't hurt. My concern is whether Princess will accept her delayed birth certificate even if it has a raised seal. Since the Passport Agency didn't, will Princess?

I contacted princess four times. Three reps said no, one said yes.

I refuse to give up!

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all answers!

The enhanced DL will work. If you do not believe me feel free to call princess. As far as the birth cert, i dont imagine that they would give you too much trouble. Here is a great link from customs that explains enhanced DL on cruises...

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf

Princess won't even ask to see the BC if she's carrying the EDL; even the Personalizer is now savvy to WHTI-compliant documents.

E

This is great news! I'm still searching for it on the Personalizer.

A big thanks to all for the suggestions and comments so far.

As Larsen said - Don't Panic. This will get sorted out.

But, whatever you do, even with the EDL and Birth Certificate, still get this straightened out.

Once you send Mom on this cruise, well you know what is going to happen.:D ;) :D

The congressman's office called my mom this morning. The lady told my mother the enhanced drivers license is only good for travel to Canada and Mexico. And well, they don't have any further advise for her. Thank you to the office of Fred Upton. Thanks for scaring my mother and making her believe she needs to cancel her trip!

*sigh*

I had her call the census bureau again to ask them to recheck some other avenues...

I just wanted to update those interested.

Many Thanks,

CC

I was just on the Dept of State website and they mention a passport card that can be applied for in person. Is it possible to go to one of the issuing offices? I know there is one in New York and one in Philadelphia are there any in your area? A passport card would do the trick for her. In any case stay calm and this will all work out.

I was just on the Dept of State website and they mention a passport card that can be applied for in person. Is it possible to go to one of the issuing offices? I know there is one in New York and one in Philadelphia are there any in your area? A passport card would do the trick for her. In any case stay calm and this will all work out.

The same criteria applies for the passport card. :(

The EDL should work just fine too... the lady at your Congressman's office didn't know what she's talking about. Always mention that she is taking a "closed-loop" cruise from a US port!

And since she IS doing a "closed-loop" cruise from a US port (Western Caribbean on the Crown), your mother should be fine with her birth certificate because it is certified (you mentioned it had a raised seal!). That sounds certified to me. I don't think it matters to Princess whether it was "delayed" or not. I'd call them back and ask for a supervisor.

Good luck... I'm sure that she'll be fine...

requirements for the pp card are the same as a regular pp.

School records typically dont reside in the school. Contact the School District.

When searching census records it might easiest to locate your mom by asking them to search for her mother/father's record. You need to be searching the 1950 census - your mom would have been abt 8. I use this technique often in my genealogy research. Or they can search a locality by surname if they can't at least find her parents. It's not uncommon for names to be misspelled in these records which can create difficulty.

I heard this on a travel radio show so I am not sure this is true, but if you go on a cruise leaving from a US Port and return to that Port, a passport is not necessary, but the enhanced driver's license can be used.

When we went on a cruise before the mandatory rules were established, my son forgot his passport and the Galveston port let him in. Had a harder time getting him on the cruise with Princess. Good luck with your situation, I am sure something will work out.

requirements for the pp card are the same as a regular pp.

School records typically dont reside in the school. Contact the School District.

When searching census records it might easiest to locate your mom by asking them to search for her mother/father's record. You need to be searching the 1950 census - your mom would have been abt 8. I use this technique often in my genealogy research. Or they can search a locality by surname if they can't at least find her parents. It's not uncommon for names to be misspelled in these records which can create difficulty.

We had the Census Bureau search 1950-2000. The 1950 census showed her stepfather she listed on the form. Unfortunately herself and her mother were not found in any of the census records.

As far as the school goes' date=' it doesn't exsist. We contacted the department of edducation for the area her school was in and they have nothing archived whatsoever. Another empty road...[/color']

Thanks for your suggestions though.

I heard this on a travel radio show so I am not sure this is true, but if you go on a cruise leaving from a US Port and return to that Port, a passport is not necessary, but the enhanced driver's license can be used.

When we went on a cruise before the mandatory rules were established, my son forgot his passport and the Galveston port let him in. Had a harder time getting him on the cruise with Princess. Good luck with your situation, I am sure something will work out.

I've heard this as well. However, my concern lies with her getting injured (God forbid!) at a port and needing medical assistance there or needing to be flown elsewhere. I was told her entry back into the US would be denied and could also interupt medical care.

Scary thoughts!

while i have a passport..i ve seen passenger s getting checked in presenting their DL and BC..and all they do is compare the names on

the documents..

and if asked for id, show your DL..

in the meantime, don t give up on the passport..:)

I am sorry to repeat myself here, but your enhanced drivers license solves this. There is no need to contact ANYONE else. Call princess and they will tell you the same thing. You can also call US Customs and Border Protection and they will tell you the same. Like I said, sorry to repeat myself, but I would really hate to see you waste all this extra time when the solution is so simple.

Archived