You Can (and Should) Hike Diamond Head!

CaribbeanBound

Diamond Head

Diamond Head is an extinct volcanic crater located in Honolulu, Hawaii on the island of Oahu. It is located a short distance from Waikiki. A hike up the crater provides good exercise and spectacular 360-degree views of the island.

Hiking Map

The map here has been modified slightly from the map provided by the Park Service. For your convenience, pictures and descriptions will reference specific points on this map.

Timing

While the park service suggests you allow 1.5-to-2 hours for a leisurely hike; the hike itself, round trip, takes less than 55 minutes for an out-of-shape 48-year-old male. (I speak from experience). This includes 8 minutes at the top for pictures, and 1 minute stops at 10 other locations for pictures.

If you are fit, you can easily do the hike in under 30 minutes. If you are in worse shape than me, allow an hour. If you are in terrible shape, wear open-toed shoes, are carting a backpack full of junk, and the park is busy, allow 1.5-to-2 hours.

Big Hint

Plan to arrive as early in the day as possible. Gates open at 6:00am (0600). It will be less crowded and much cooler if you begin your hike before 7:00am. For reference, the gates close at 6:00pm (1800).

Preparation

I recommend sneakers (tennis shoes) or hiking boots, a lightweight windbreaker (wrap it around your waist in case it is needed), a hat, a bottle of water (freeze it the night before if you can. It will be ready to drink when you get to the top), and a flashlight if you arrive early during the winter months.

Cost

You can easily do this on your own. If you drive in, the cost is $5 per carload. If you walk in, the cost is $1 per person. You can take The Bus to Diamond Head for $2.00 per person each way but you'll have to hike into the crater, pay your $1 fee, and walk through the small parking lot before you begin the actual trail hike.

Arrival

You can walk, drive, take The Bus, or arrive by taxi. The entrance to Diamond Head is from the back side near the corner of Diamond Head Road and 18th Avenue [A]. The spot marked "Bus Stop" is for the local city bus, called appropriately enough "The Bus".

Lookout

You will curve left upon entering the road to Diamond Head crater. Prior to entering the tunnel that takes you into the crater, you will pass a popular lookout point which overlooks East Oahu. Hint: due to the sunrise, pictures are best in the afternoon.

Entering the Crater

You will make your way through the Kahala Tunnel [C] in the side of the crater to access the parking lot and park facilities inside.

The Toll Booth

Once inside the crater, you will be greeted by a toll collector at the front of the parking lot [D]. Commercial buses and taxis drop off and pickup passengers in a turn-around at the toll-both entrance to the parking lot. The toll booth and turn-around are not marked on the map. (The map was made before there was a toll). If you drive in, the toll is $5 per carload. If you walk in, the cost is $1 per person.

The Trail

The trail is 1.6 miles round trip and climbs 560 feet from the crater floor to an elevation of 761 feet. The trail starts out just past the Diamond Head State Monument sign [E] on the other side of the parking lot. It is next to a comfort station and an information booth. It starts out as a paved walkway, but most of the trail is pitted dirt and rock [between 2 and 3]. The floor of the crater is full of kiawe (similar to mesquite), koa haole (trees with pods), and wild grass. Cardinals, doves, sparrows, and geckos are the most common critters. It takes about 5 minutes to traverse the paved walkway.

The Trail and the 74 Steps

About 9 minutes of dirt and rock trail brings you to your first lookout area (and rest area for some) [4]. You'll have a good look at the eastern side of the island. The sun rises from this side. 1 minute later you'll find yourself at the first set of stairs [5].

The First Tunnel

74 steps lead you into the first, and coolest tunnel [6]. It is dimly---though adequately---lit, gently sloping, and runs for 225-feet. You'll emerge from the tunnel 4 minutes later.

The 99 Steps

Looking to your right, you'll see the daunting 99 step stairway [7]. Look to your left, and you'll find another little rest area and lookout. You can trudge up the stairs in about 3 minutes.

Short Tunnel and 3-story Spiral Staircase

Take a breath and proceed down a short tunnel to a spiral staircase [9] (photo looking up the staircase). Two minutes later, you exit on the 3rd floor of the staircase.

Fire Control Station Lookout

Work your way to the concrete Fire Control Station Lookout overlooking the Pacific Ocean [10].

54 Steps

Duck your head and exit the station to your left. If you look down to your right, you'll see the Diamond Head Lighthouse. You're almost there! It takes but a minute to walk the remaining 54 metal steps [11] to the summit of the crater.

Diamond Head Observation Station

Now you can enjoy the brisk breeze and panoramic 360-degree views [12]. You'll overlook all of Waikiki, catch planes landing at the airport, and can see as far as the Waianae Mountain range in the West. You can also see the eastern side of the island overlooking Kahala, Maunalua Bay, and two mountains beyond: Koko Head, and Koko Head Crater (which is home to Hanauma Bay on the other side). You'll see the sun rise from this side. To the North is the University of Hawaii, and the Pali Mountains. To the South is the Pacific Ocean. My picture of Waikiki on a early morning before sunrise doesn't do this view any justice.

The Return Trip and Other Notes

1. Allow about 25 minutes for your return trip.

2. If a snake jumps out at you while hiking, don't panic, it's only a stick. There are no snakes in Hawaii.

3. Strongly suggest close-toed shoes due to the rocky, pitted, uneven mountain trail. I have seen folks wearing slippahs (flip-flops), crocks, and high heals --- but I don't recommend it.

4. I once saw a couple pushing a baby carriage up the trail. I couldn't believe it. I don't recommend it.

5. You will likely see very fit folks jogging all the way up the trail and back down, perhaps even running up and down the flight of 99 steps. Pretty awesome. Due to my vertigo, I'm just happy to make it back to the bottom of the 99 steps without falling. (If you have vertigo, just take the steps slowly, hang on to the rail, and concentrate on each step).

6. In the winter, it is easy to arrive well before sunrise and watch from the summit. Just be sure to bring a flashlight as the trail can be very dark.

7. Of interest: just a half-block down 18th avenue is the Hawaii Film Studios lot and sound stages.

Have a great hike!

Step-by-step instructions, map, and pictures: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

Excellent post. We did the hike when we were there, and we are two, sort of out of shape seniors (We do hike around though) There is no rush to get to the top and we took our time, but, as you said, the rewards are well worth it. I got some spectacular shots of Wakiki, the beach, hotels, that many though was really a picture post card. One of the things you must do, if you go to hawaii.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2083055410056896458ladlIh

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2723962650056896458qXvzdx

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2234997860056896458myMhTg

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2973730500056896458ksWsNh

We did the hike in June 08. We started out just before lunch not realising how hot it would get. 4 of us made it up and 2 of the girls didn't. My DH is one of those that ran up the path and steps. The 2 girls that didn't go all the way had thongs on and stopped at the last lot of steps not realising how close they were.

You definately need plenty of water on these hot days.

Kerri

I'd just like to add that while we did the hike, we saw people going up who had a lot of trouble walking (i.e. walked very slowly with a cane). It took them awhile to get up, but there is nothing "hard" about the hike that would make it impossible for someone who can't walk fast. It's really, really worthwhile. You'll have fantastic pictures of Waikiki Beach from above.

We don't get up at 6 a.m. on vacation, so did this at the hottest part of the day just like another previous poster. No windbreaker needed then, and yes it's hot. Just plan to go snorkeling afterwards to cool off!

Thanks for the great post! We'll be there in December and plan on doing this. Really looking forward to it. :)

As you're from Spanaway, and I used to live in Tacoma, here's a tip.

Having spent many years in Oahu, I have taken quite a few visitors up Diamond Head. At the top you always get some great photos looking back towards Waikiki, so when you climb back down wouldn't it be great to get some photos from a great vantage point on Waikik looking towards Diamond Head. Here's the secret place.

At the Hilton Hawaiian Village, enter the Rainbow Tower and catch the elevator to the 30th floor. (Not the 31st floor where some suites are)

Outside the elevator you will see the window that has a great view looking towards Diamond Head. Also round the corner to the left there's a stair door that leads to a hallway, in there is another view spot, with no glass. Both places are good for photo taking. Because the Rainbow Tower juts out, it offers the better view than other hotels. My visitors have always enjoyed this little 'secret tour'.

Have a good time in Hawaii, Aloha.

Caribbean Bound - THANK YOU, great info, covers everything, much appreciated!

We are on count down mode (Golden in Oct) and Diamond Head is on my "Must Do first thing"; then hubby can see about a parasail on Waikiki.

Safe travels, thanks again!

Do you think its possible to walk from a wakiki hotel to Diamond head and then hike it and then walk back.

I am young ish and fairly fit but we will be with a 9yr old boy who at times is full of energy but other times cant be bothered, hes 9.lol

We thought about doing a tour but that will cost $$ and this way is almost free

Bus is easy. If your kid is anything like mine, he'll be complaining before you even get there if he has to walk it. It's uphill from Waikiki to Diamond Head crater. That said, I've met folks at 6:30 in the morning who have jogged to Diamond Head from Waikiki. They then go on to jog to the top and back to Waikiki. I was still heading up when he was coming back down!

Bus is easy. If your kid is anything like mine, he'll be complaining before you even get there if he has to walk it. It's uphill from Waikiki to Diamond Head crater. That said, I've met folks at 6:30 in the morning who have jogged to Diamond Head from Waikiki. They then go on to jog to the top and back to Waikiki. I was still heading up when he was coming back down!

LOL i didnt mention the 9r old isnt mine but my friends who i am travelling with. He often begs me to take him with me where ever i go even if uts shopping then complains he is bored and tired and wants to go. If i try and make it challenging for him he might not be to bad. (lets see who can get there first type of thing. it will also tire him out)

Do you think its possible to walk from a wakiki hotel to Diamond head and then hike it and then walk back.

I am young ish and fairly fit but we will be with a 9yr old boy who at times is full of energy but other times cant be bothered, hes 9.lol

One thing to consider is what part of Waikiki your hotel is situated. If it is on the west end of the beach, IMO walking to Diamond Head is not a good alternative. If it is on the east end then it is doable but still a good trek.

I've walked to the top with a 5 and 8 year old child. The climb itself was enough to wear them out. We opted for 'The Bus' to get us to and from the park.

A behind the scenes look at Diamond Head Crater KHNL-TV/KHBC/KOGG

It's Hawaii's most famous natural landmark, over a half million people hike to the top of Diamond Head every year.

But while many take in the scenic sights, there are many parts of this popular park that are off limits to the public.

For some, its not the easiest of hikes to the top of this landmark. A nearly mile long trek from Diamond Head Crater to the summit, going up 560 feet, and many keep an eye on the rough trail.

But the next time you head to this scenic spot, keep this in mind and take a look around inside the crater.

"When you're walking up the trail you're walking into history, said Yara Lamadrid-Rose, Diamond Head Park Coordinator.

The trail itself, carved out of this old volcanic tuff cone was created over a hundred years ago, as the military built fortifications from Pearl Harbor to Diamond Head.

Many of the old pillboxes remain, dotting the summit's landscape. While this empty field used to be the site of shooting ranges.

And tunnels can be seen along the crater walls, off-limits to the public.

Inside, there are no windows in these offices, and you can see how solid the original bunker was - which was built to fire massive artillery mortars.

"The walls were made of 9 feet thick concrete with a very strong roof to protect munitions and protect people from bombardment," said Ed Teixeira, State Civil Defense.

It's the only bomb proof offices in the state, but working here inside the mountainside is not for everyone.

"To work in a place like this with no windows it seems like you are underground - it takes a certain personality," said Texeira.

Some of these old sites at diamond head are being used again, while others remain restricted. But they are all visible reminders of diamond head's role to defend oahu from attack.

Even with all the defenses, no artillery was ever fired from diamond head during war.

And in the future, the state hopes to open up more of the park to the public as the military clears out of the crater.

There are also plans to add more trails, a visitor center and even restore Diamond Head's wetland habitat.

One thing to consider is what part of Waikiki your hotel is situated. If it is on the west end of the beach, IMO walking to Diamond Head is not a good alternative. If it is on the east end then it is doable but still a good trek.

I've walked to the top with a 5 and 8 year old child. The climb itself was enough to wear them out. We opted for 'The Bus' to get us to and from the park.

Outrigger waikiki on the beach is where we will be staying. My friend does want to do a bit of walking/hiking how her son will handle it thought i dont think she has thought about that :o Im trying to get my fitness level up over the next few months, going for walks and stuff so i might take him with me to see how he handles it at home :)

We may walk there and then bus it back

I took the Bus. $2.25 ask for a transfer. Then your trip back will be free.

I picked up the Bus on Kohio street #23. Bus #22 also goes that way. Possibly others, but those two for sure.

Using a transfer for a return trip doesn't typically work. Transfers are to continue your one-way trip to your destination. They also have a time limit. If it worked for you, you got away with it. I've seen folks stopped by the Bus Driver who were attempting to use transfers incorrectly.

Archived