Strategic question on separating dining times

giantcrazy

We're going out of the Norwegian Spirit on 8/7 to Bermuda. It's our first cruise, so I'm still mostly at a loss on dining (despite reading a bazillion threads - think I've got information overload).

Our kids are 5, 7 and 8 months. I had planned to feed the two older children early (say around 6), then drop them off at the kids camp, at which point my wife and I would eat dinner and take the little guy with us. He's a champ when it comes to going to restaurants, so I don't think him being cranky would be an issue (although it's a timebomb like situation - sit and dine at 7 or take your chances).

Will we have a problem feeding the kids at one of the dining rooms and not eating ourselves? I probably wouldn't make my wife and the baby come with us, just me taking the kids to feed them and then leave them with the camp.

We're going out of the Norwegian Spirit on 8/7 to Bermuda. It's our first cruise, so I'm still mostly at a loss on dining (despite reading a bazillion threads - think I've got information overload).

Our kids are 5, 7 and 8 months. I had planned to feed the two older children early (say around 6), then drop them off at the kids camp, at which point my wife and I would eat dinner and take the little guy with us. He's a champ when it comes to going to restaurants, so I don't think him being cranky would be an issue (although it's a timebomb like situation - sit and dine at 7 or take your chances).

Will we have a problem feeding the kids at one of the dining rooms and not eating ourselves? I probably wouldn't make my wife and the baby come with us, just me taking the kids to feed them and then leave them with the camp.

The direct answer to your question is no, you will not have a problem taking your oldest kids to the restaurant and not eating yourself.

However, why even bother? Go to the buffet or to the Blue Lagoon. It will take less time. If you go to the main restaurant you are going to end up with a long meal. If you go to the buffet or the Blue Lagoon, the meal time will be much shorter.

Cuizer-

Bear in mind, I haven't been on a cruise yet. The 'buffet' to me has negative connotations - I think cheaper, mass produced food that I'd rather not have the kids eat. That may not be the case, but I'd have to see it first and then go from there.

It's a vacation for them too, I don't want them to be cheated of good eats if they're available.

If you want them to experience a dining room, rather than the buffet, then why don't the 5 of you just eat together? Send them to the kids club after you eat together as a family.

We have fed the little one early in the buffet, or taken him with us for dinner. I can't see sitting through two full dining room meals each night, but that's just me.

Many people also eat all together as a family, but have the kids meals brought out right away, so they are finished more quickly, then one parent can take the kids to the kids club, return and enjoy dessert and coffee together. Best of both worlds.

Maybe try it that way the first night, and if it doesn't work out, go back to your plan. The dining room on cruise ships have been great experiences for my kids - they feel so formal and grown up. And I share your feeling about the buffet - no matter how nice it is, the whole getting up and down or everything on one plate doesn't make for as lovely a dinner experience.

Best,

Mia

You only get 1 dining time....if you have kids and want to eat with them, then do the early seating...that way, they can do the kid's activities--the main (early) seating is geared for that.

They're on NCL, so this is not a consideration. With Freestyle dining, they could actually go through two full dinner times in the main dining room. I can't imagine doing that though. Even asking the servers to rush through the courses, each meal will be a good hour.

I think what we would have chosen to do would be to all go to dinner together early, take the older two off to the children's program after the meal, and then the adults take the infant with them and go have a nice dessert and coffee/drink.

beachchick

You only get 1 dining time....if you have kids and want to eat with them, then do the early seating...that way, they can do the kid's activities--the main (early) seating is geared for that.

Freestyle - so they can go to more than one restaurant in the same night if they wanted.

giantcrazy - we do exactly what Beachchick suggested. We go to dinner as a family, the kids go to the club, then we enjoy dessert alone. Some families take the kids to the buffet, then have a later dinner for the parents. Just seems like alot of running though. :(

I'm kind of with the rest of the group here - I think - in that I'm not sure why you want two dining times... but that's your choice, and on NCL choices are what make the difference.

So... Your options for the early meal for the two older kids are the main dining rooms, the buffet, the Blue Lagoon, and room service.

In the MDR, you will have no problem getting a table for three and just chaperoning while your kids eat.

NCL's buffet is a little different than what you might be thinking, in that they have 'action stations' where food is prepared while you wait. They also have a kid's section with a lower buffet that has more 'kid-friendly' fare similar to what is on the children's menu in the other restaurants. There are items like hot dogs, chicken fingers, and veggies just the right size for small hands. :)

The Blue Lagoon has what I would call a 'comfort food' menu. They've got things like burgers, mac and cheese, and chicken wings. The service is a bit faster (usually) and the environment is casual. You can also get the food to go if you want to just feed the kids in your cabin.

On that note, of course, there is also room service, which has some nice offerings on NCL. Our daughter loves it.

Since one of the reasons parents choose to feed their kids first before dining themselves is because they want to take advantage of the specialty venues, I thought I would also mention that the 'regular' kids' menu is available all over the ship, and it's included, so if you want to go to Cagney's, for instance, the kids can still order from the included menu rather than having to pay the surcharge. I think the only venue that this doesn't work in is Teppanyaki, because of the seating. It's always good to check on the exact policies on the ship you're on, too. I have also read reports that kids have eaten off of the specialty menu for half price. We've always paid full price for ours, but she orders full portions like we do; I'm not sure how the half price thing works, or even if it's offered on every ship... as I said, it's best to check.

Have a great cruise!

Archived