Seabourn V Silversea?

bradtarga34

First of all, excuses if this has been covered before, but as a very new member of this terrific forum I thought I would ask the question... My Wife and I have only sailed once before which was on SB but my Sister has sailed with Silversea a number of times with Silversea and can't understand why we don't try their experience? To be honest, we had such a fantastic time with SB I am reluctant to try anyone else as I can't see how they match their standards, but I imagine SS are probably them most direct rival to SB. I know a lot of you lucky devils have sailed a LOT so just wondering how you think the 2 compare if I am not being too contreversioul so I can settle this dilema with

my Sister?

First of all, excuses if this has been covered before, but as a very new member of this terrific forum I thought I would ask the question... My Wife and I have only sailed once before which was on SB but my Sister has sailed with Silversea a number of times with Silversea and can't understand why we don't try their experience? To be honest, we had such a fantastic time with SB I am reluctant to try anyone else as I can't see how they match their standards, but I imagine SS are probably them most direct rival to SB. I know a lot of you lucky devils have sailed a LOT so just wondering how you think the 2 compare if I am not being too contreversioul so I can settle this dilema with

my Sister?

Both ships are good. We have done SB far more as it is our preverence. I must say that SS was much better the last time we were on..they are definitely trying harder. But, in my opinion, you win with your sister.:D

I have sailed several times with both lines - I find the cabins and food similar; I prefer Seabourn because of their incredible service and the friendliness of their staff and officers. Silversea staff are professional but not very personable and the officers don't even bother to acknowledge your existence.

Bradtarga34,

I know you are new to the forum but if you do a search I am sure you will find more than you care to read about SS vs. SB. Both are excellent lines. People on this board will tell you they prefer SB. People on the SS board will tell you the opposite.

Indeed you are correct, sorry for dragging an old subject up, I didn't search far enough back but have found sailor girls post with lots of positive replies for SB as I thought! Well, just over 2 months for our Odyssey cruise, and we have got friends joining us for their first cruise experience, cant wait!

I've sailed SS many times and I can tell you without a doubt that the Odyssey is a much better ship in every way than the Shadow and Whisper. We'll have to see what happens when the Silver Spirit debuts but for now nothing touches the Odyssey. And I'm just talking the physical ship, I'm not even referring to the superior food and service, imo, of course.

Having sailed many times on the 'Wind' and the 'Cloud' which we thoroughly enjoyed then we found Seabourn and realized they were by far superior when it came to service and food. Because of a certain itinerary we went back two years ago on the 'Whisper'

what a mistake that was. So many things wrong with it, food, wine was in short supply because it had been left on the dock in Singapore, officers we rarely saw, and our

Christmas day present of a Panetone Cake which they served every day and could

not be taken off the ship because of Australia's law. Never again will we return, many

passengers wrote to the President as we did but he never replied. Having now sailed on over 80 cruises but now we intend to stay with Seabourn which as far as we are concerned is No.1

I have sailed with SS several times on the Cloud and the Whisper. I have my first cruise coming up in August with SB on the Odyssey. I was not inspired with the smaller SB ships, and therefore did not have an interest in sailing with SB.

My experience with SS was fine. However, I am so looking forward to experiencing what I felt was missing with my SS cruises. The enthusiastic conversations and accolades on this board regarding the personalized service and superior food provided by Seabourn was definetly missing on my SS cruises.

I hope that I have the feeling that many of you have at the end of my SB cruise....the feeling that I will not want to get off the ship!

I hope that I have the feeling that many of you have at the end of my SB cruise....the feeling that I will not want to get off the ship!

Other than the service, crew, staff & food, it's the one thing that always has plagued me on my cruises with SB!! :D :)

Paul ;)

(with the marks still lingering on his palms to prove it...!)

the SB itineraries, like the sister ships, are getting old and tired.though we are in our 50's, there is a whole new generation that demands new and updated. SB needs to look at the competition or they will become the Andrea Doria of cruise lines.

I would think that the Somalia Coast trips would be exciting enough for even the most unimpressionable of our youth.

The itineraries can't change much beyond what the world has to offer. I'd also like to see the Panama Canal and Venice in the same week, but you can only travel so far in so many days on water.

How funny, I sail SS and SB regularly and the only disappointing cruise was on the Whisper and I've never returned to that ship. The Shadow is a delight.

My first SS cruise was on the Whisper last December and I loved it. Got the Spirit booked for next year.

However I've read all the wonderful things about SB so I really want to cruise with them but cannot get a single supplement under 175%....is there a trick to getting a low single supplement on SB?

Cheers

ging466

However I've read all the wonderful things about SB so I really want to cruise with them but cannot get a single supplement under 175%....is there a trick to getting a low single supplement on SB

Book as early as possible! Also, you may want to check with your TA or with SB occasionally to see if any singles cancel...that opens up their booked supplement.

Smooth sailing....

Paul ;)

Archived