Shopping in Bermuda

thanks for the help, but as much as I love the island shop, that wasn't it. It is around the corner from the White Horse Inn .... to the left and then I think it's on the right. It has handmade things, I love. At least I think it's on the right.....where there are a few shops in a row on both sides of the street. My mind is gone...I need to go back to Bermuda.....

I'm following you around the corner then down the street......there's a place on the left that I popped into but didn't spend too much time. I think that's the place but don't know the name. Those purses sound wonderful. I always try to "buy Bermuda" and look for things made by or only in Bermuda. I know where I'll be shopping in a few weeks.:)

BTW, The Island Shop sells expensive gourd items that are made about 8 miles from where I live so it's always good to check labels.:D

My father's name was the same as a very famous mobster's. I've now convinced myself he actually was that person. :eek: :D ;)

We'll talk about that over a drink.;)

To get back on topic. I read a letter to the editor in the Royal Gazette that someone thinks they are missing the opportunity for cruise ship pax to spend by not having stores open, particularly in St. George. Last year, the one store that was open was so crowded, you could barely move in it.

A Bermudian on another board said they've done studies and it's not worth it to be open in the evening, so who knows?

One thing I do know is, I don't go to Bermuda to shop during the day....that's beach time and sightseeing so it would be nice to shop in the evening. It was nice to be docked in Hamilton and Trimingham's was open at night.

We'll talk about that over a drink.;)

To get back on topic. I read a letter to the editor in the Royal Gazette that someone thinks they are missing the opportunity for cruise ship pax to spend by not having stores open, particularly in St. George. Last year, the one store that was open was so crowded, you could barely move in it.

A Bermudian on another board said they've done studies and it's not worth it to be open in the evening, so who knows?

When we were on ships that docked in Hamilton, and the department stores were still in business, I am sure we would have spent more money if the stores had been open longer hours. (I seem to recall only one evening a week when they extended their hours a bit.) With no shipboard gambling in Bermuda...and in the earlier years even limited entertainment on the ships due to Bermuda law, we would no doubt would have spent a fair amount of time in the evening in Trimingham's and Smith's. Who wants to waste an hour of beautiful Bermuda weather by shopping in the daytime?

...... Who wants to waste an hour of beautiful Bermuda weather by shopping in the daytime?

My thoughts exactly. I shopped on Market Night in St. George and squeezed some in during the day after coming back from the beach or somewhere else.

stores are open late on Thursday night in Hamilton....they were pretty crowded the last time I was there. By six on other days all the stores were closed. Its a reflection of their very British past(remember in London the tube stops at midnight or shortly thereafter too)....

stores are open late on Thursday night in Hamilton....they were pretty crowded the last time I was there. By six on other days all the stores were closed. Its a reflection of their very British past(remember in London the tube stops at midnight or shortly thereafter too)....

It's not our past; we are still British - we celebrated our 400th anniversary of continuous British habitation on July 28th.

How long is it since you were here? Stores are not open late on Thursdays. What few stores there are left in Hamilton may or may not open late on Wednesday for Harbour nights but certainly won't open on Thursday nights.

Stores close in Bermuda at five pm. Supermarkets close at ten pm.

The London tube runs all night, albeit with a diminished frequency after midnight.

Where on earth are you getting all your totally false information?

It's not our past; we are still British - we celebrated our 400th anniversary of continuous British habitation on July 28th.

How long is it since you were here? Stores are not open late on Thursdays. What few stores there are left in Hamilton may or may not open late on Wednesday for Harbour nights but certainly won't open on Thursday nights.

Stores close in Bermuda at five pm. Supermarkets close at ten pm.

The London tube runs all night, albeit with a diminished frequency after midnight.

Where on earth are you getting all your totally false information?

the term past does not mean its over but its part of their history.

You are right is 5 not 6

but the London Tube closes shortly after midnight here is the schedule.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1129.aspx

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Directory/as_cooper.html

AS cooper open until 9 on Tuesday and Thursday and 5:30 other days

the term past does not mean its over but its part of their history.

You are right is 5 not 6

but the London Tube closes shortly after midnight here is the schedule.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1129.aspx

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Directory/as_cooper.html

AS cooper open until 9 on Tuesday and Thursday and 5:30 other days

I think the times are for info not the shop....

Just an FYI. The cat is a sweetheart named Flea.

He helped me when I was missing my cats at home.

Yep, Flea is the man. He also makes the rounds of the other stores but the Island Shop is his home base. Caught him as he was grooming after a snack.;):)

a8f0afaa.jpg

When you go in the Island Shop in St. George tell them you heard about Flea on the internet. I mentioned to her that I had been on the lookout for him since I had learned on CC that he was around town. :)

iheartbda, do you mind if I use your pic of Flea? I didn't get one that good and I want to put him in our scrapbook.

Archived